Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Trailer Tow Packages on 2012 changed by Chrysler on POC!? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/trailer-tow-packages-on-2012-changed-by-chrysler-on-poc-108747.html)

flyfish29 08-21-2011 11:52 PM

Trailer Tow Packages on 2012 changed by Chrysler on POC!?

Something weird happened this week with my trailer tow packages!!! Note- all prices MSRP

Two weeks ago- ordered a 2012 JKU Sport w/ following:
(AHT) trailer tow group $25 (3.73 ratio, Class II, wiring, and trailer sway dampening)
AND
(AHQ) Max Tow Group $320 (3.73 ratio, Class II, wiring)

So I get a VON number.

Last week I got my VIN, but noticed the following $ change on my priced order confirmation POC page the dealer printed out for me.

(AHT) trailer tow group $ 270
AND
(AHQ) Max Tow Group $320

So the whole package went up by $250!!

After the sales manager built another JKU in the computer, he said the it no longer showed 3.73 under the AHT Trailer Tow Package. (Milous- confirm?)

He seemed to think my final invoice should be corrected and was sure since I had both tow groups selected that I should get the following (3.73 ratio, Class II hitch, wiring, AND the trailer sway dampening for the Max Tow price or at the most $20 over that price.) which is what I wanted in the first place!!

Has anyone else encountered this on the build sheets/invoice? Can anyone confirm that I will get what I want for a little more than $300 rather than the current POC price of $590?!?

Yes, I have followed the 2012 tow packages confusion across multiple threads (and forums) but felt my experience was diff. than other comments so far.

I am at D status so hopefully soon I will have my answer directly from Jeep...but in the meantime....

NEO Jeep 08-22-2011 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfish29 (Post 1495661)
Something weird happened this week with my trailer tow packages!!! Note- all prices MSRP

Two weeks ago- ordered a 2012 JKU Sport w/ following:
(AHT) trailer tow group $25 (3.73 ratio, Class II, wiring, and trailer sway dampening)
AND
(AHQ) Max Tow Group $320 (3.73 ratio, Class II, wiring)

So I get a VON number.

Last week I got my VIN, but noticed the following $ change on my priced order confirmation POC page the dealer printed out for me.

(AHT) trailer tow group $ 270
AND
(AHQ) Max Tow Group $320

So the whole package went up by $250!!

After the sales manager built another JKU in the computer, he said the it no longer showed 3.73 under the AHT Trailer Tow Package. (Milous- confirm?)

He seemed to think my final invoice should be corrected and was sure since I had both tow groups selected that I should get the following (3.73 ratio, Class II hitch, wiring, AND the trailer sway dampening for the Max Tow price or at the most $20 over that price.) which is what I wanted in the first place!!

Has anyone else encountered this on the build sheets/invoice? Can anyone confirm that I will get what I want for a little more than $300 rather than the current POC price of $590?!?

Yes, I have followed the 2012 tow packages confusion across multiple threads (and forums) but felt my experience was diff. than other comments so far.

I am at D status so hopefully soon I will have my answer directly from Jeep...but in the meantime....

On mine they "took out" the 3.73 axle as part of the tow package.
The "trailer tow group", with sway dampening and the 4 pin wiring connector was $270.
The 3.73 axle now a $50 option on it as well.
Trac-Lok limited slip differential was $295.

fjrrider 08-22-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO Jeep (Post 1496129)
On mine they "took out" the 3.73 axle as part of the tow package.
The "trailer tow group", with sway dampening and the 4 pin wiring connector was $270.
The 3.73 axle now a $50 option on it as well.
Trac-Lok limited slip differential was $295.

OK...so, Trailer Tow is $270 and the 3.73 is now a $50 option
Max tow is $320, but, includes the 3.73, so price is a wash.
However, unless something has changed, Max Tow does not provide anything that Trailer Tow doesn't. Max Tow does not include Trailer Sway Damping and the Trailer Tow does.
So, have asked this quite a few times and can't get a solid answer - why in the world would anyone order Max Tow?

Dogface 08-22-2011 09:23 AM

Yep, which is why the one I ordered and will be at the Dlr tomorrow will be just sold off the lot. I had to re-order last week to get the proper axel. I discovered it while in D status but no changes were allowed...it wasn't even scheduled for build. Sucks:banghead:

flyfish29 08-22-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface (Post 1496456)
Yep, which is why the one I ordered and will be at the Dlr tomorrow will be just sold off the lot. I had to re-order last week to get the proper axel. I discovered it while in D status but no changes were allowed...it wasn't even scheduled for build. Sucks:banghead:

Did yours just have Trailer Tow Group then?

.....I am hoping since I have both tow groups selected on the build sheet that I will get everything included- then I just need to make sure they don't charge me the $590!! Because I just arranged for my Subaru to be sold when this comes in and the guy won't be happy if I have to reorder!!

off a cough 08-22-2011 09:48 PM

Chrysler has definitely screwed the pooch out of the gate on some of these things. I hope they learn going forward.

I'm having a hard tim believing that Max Tow does not include trailer sway dampening. I think this is an oversight on the description list.

I did order Max Tow on a hard top Rubi and wound up with an "H" rated GVWR (6k-7k pounds). I've not heard of any JK having this up until this year. Max tow should include some very beefy springs.

flyfish29 08-22-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off a cough (Post 1499028)
Chrysler has definitely screwed the pooch out of the gate on some of these things. I hope they learn going forward.

I'm having a hard time believing that Max Tow does not include trailer sway dampening. I think this is an oversight on the description list.

I totally agree on both points- Chrysler screwing up and surely Max Tow has trailer sway dampening.

I am sure this is what they planned.
1. ability to order only 3.73 $50
2. ability to order trailer tow group without 3.73 $270
3. ability to order Max tow group that had both for $320

Can ANYONE on the forum confirm that Max Tow has the 3.73, hitch and light connector AND trailer sway dampening??

Up Hill Bill 08-22-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off a cough (Post 1499028)

I'm having a hard tim believing that Max Tow does not include trailer sway dampening. I think this is an oversight on the description list.

I did order Max Tow on a hard top Rubi and wound up with an "H" rated GVWR (6k-7k pounds). I've not heard of any JK having this up until this year. Max tow should include some very beefy springs.

You bring up a couple interesting ideas.

Can you imagine the potential for liability problems if Chrysler sold vehicles with an option called "Max Tow," and failed to activate an existing firmware portion of their 'Electronic Brake System' for trailer sway dampening. Especially when their 2012 DVD owner's manual says:

Quote:

ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM
Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced electronic brake control system that includes Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist System (BAS), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Trailer Sway Control (TSC), and Hill Descent Control (HDC). All of these systems work together to enhance vehicle stability and control in various driving conditions, and are commonly referred to as ESC.

Also, my Rubi with Max Tow (the only tow option available when I ordered on 6/6) has a VIN with the fourth digit, 'H.' the fourth digit usually stands for GVWR class, with H being 6000-7000 lbs. But, my 'door pillar sticker' says GVWR 5700 lbs., which I think would be 'G.' As Chrysler changed up the VIN a bit this year, maybe the 'H' means something else? I have no idea. Hoping you do.??

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfish29 (Post 1499107)
Can ANYONE on the forum confirm that Max Tow has the 3.73, hitch and light connector AND trailer sway dampening??

How would you know if you had it without getting a trailer to sway and see if the Jeep tries to regain control for you, .... or you loose control? :eek:

My build sheet lists all components of the Electronic Brake Control system, except trailer sway control!

NEO Jeep 08-22-2011 10:23 PM

Isn't "Max Tow" only offered with a 4 door?

3tree 08-22-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

I totally agree on both points- Chrysler screwing up and surely Max Tow has trailer sway dampening.

Per a window sticker:
Max Tow Package $320
Class II Receiver Hitch
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
Trailer Tow with 4-Pin Wiring Connector

Trailer Tow Group $25
Trailer Sway Damping

Link: Jeep - New Vehicle Inventory - Window Sticker

It looks like if you want the damping, you need to order the Tow Group (AHT) in addition to the Max Tow Package (AHQ) with an incremental cost of $25 (instead of the full $270 for the Tow Group on its own).

fjrrider 08-22-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

I don't think so.
This post is for a JKU Sahara with Max Tow.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ml#post1450272
In the build sheet, it shows AHQ which is the code for Max Tow. It does not show BNTP which is the code for Trailer Sway Damping.

Not mine, but, this one has Trailer Tow and BNTP
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ml#post1431471

JohnT11 08-22-2011 10:31 PM

I got screwed out of the 3.73 gears when i was back in D status. The dealer was too lazy to email the factory rep and find out. But they swore up and down that the 3.73 gears would be there. Guess what? They're not. Even the Chrysler customer rep said that they would be. Chrysler really screwed this up. Thanks for sticking it to us hardcore fans!

flyfish29 08-22-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3tree (Post 1499194)
Per a window sticker:
Max Tow Package $320
Class II Receiver Hitch
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
Trailer Tow with 4-Pin Wiring Connector

Trailer Tow Group $25
Trailer Sway Damping

Link: Jeep - New Vehicle Inventory - Window Sticker

It looks like if you want the damping, you need to order the Tow Group (AHT) in addition to the Max Tow Package (AHQ) with an incremental cost of $25 (instead of the full $270 for the Tow Group on its own).

This is great news for me- this probably means since I ordered both tow packages I get all the goodies!:D

However, it is weird that my Priced order confirmation went from me paying $25 for AHT to $270!:eek:

I guess I should know more as my Jeep progresses through the build process and gets an window sticker!

flyfish29 08-22-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT11 (Post 1499223)
I got screwed out of the 3.73 gears when i was back in D status. The dealer was too lazy to email the factory rep and find out. But they swore up and down that the 3.73 gears would be there. Guess what? They're not. Even the Chrysler customer rep said that they would be. Chrysler really screwed this up. Thanks for sticking it to us hardcore fans!

I assume you are talking with the AHT Trailer Tow Group package?

Sorry you got screwed. Have you taken delivery? I know others on here refused the vehicle and ordered another one with correct specs!

JohnT11 08-22-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfish29 (Post 1499242)
I assume you are talking with the AHT Trailer Tow Group package?

Sorry you got screwed. Have you taken delivery? I know others on here refused the vehicle and ordered another one with correct specs!

Yup, AHT.

I would reorder, but they don't make Sahara Tan anymore.

I'm going to see if I can beat the dealer out of some money for this screwup, or maybe some free maintenance or labor down the road. Or maybe I'll scream at Chrysler. Their rep swore to me I'd have the 3.73s. I even have the case number.

In reality, its not a horrible situation. With the new transmission, having 3.21s is just like having 4.10s on the 2011 Wrangler. So that's pretty good, I would think.

flyfish29 08-22-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT11 (Post 1499253)
Yup, AHT.

I'm going to see if I can beat the dealer out of some money for this screwup, or maybe some free maintenance or labor down the road. Or maybe I'll scream at Chrysler. Their rep swore to me I'd have the 3.73s. I even have the case number.

In reality, its not a horrible situation. With the new transmission, having 3.21s is just like having 4.10s on the 2011 Wrangler. So that's pretty good, I would think.

Big bummer-I say go after the rep for something- and the dealer too!!

off a cough 08-22-2011 11:22 PM

If this is just a software update for trailer sway dampening, I would think Chrysler would want to get on it ASAP, as it could be an enormous liability issue to create a package called "max tow" but disable software safety features used for towing.

If they don't update the firmware, they need to upgrade to class action defense lawyer version 2.0.

mycoke 08-23-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Yup, AHT.

Same thing happened to me. I ordered the AHT on 07/05, expecting to get 3.73 based on information at the time (fleet manual, information from the dealer, etc). Picked up the Jeep on 08/15 only to find 3.21. Dealer claims I knew what I was ordering and got exactly that. Chrysler says it's between me and the dealer.

I would have settled for an appology and moved on, but they were quite rude about it. Dealer also double charged me for the hardtop and I have yet to see my refund (charged full price for dual-top and color-match, less AR / Tread Lightly discount). Seriously hope someone starts a class action on this!

Next time, wait for the model to be on the lot and all bugs (lies) worked out of the ordering system.

oilwell1415 08-23-2011 12:45 PM

When I stopped by my dealer last night to eyeball a 2012 he said Chrysler doesn't even know themselves what they are putting on them with which packages. I looked through several window stickers from their website and some have the 3.73 listed as included with the tow package, some have it listed as included with the auto trans, and some don't have it even though they have auto trans and tow package. I also want to know why they would put a Class IV hitch on a vehicle, but not the 3.73 gears if it can only tow 1000 lbs without the gears. Why not save more money and use a Class I or II hitch?

JohnT11 08-23-2011 01:51 PM

I think all the Saharas are given 3.73s automatically. But yeah, Chrysler screwed the pooch on this one. They should have just stayed with what they did last year with the gears and all, but I'm sure some dipshit middle manager thought he could get points with the higher-ups by putting the 3.73s as a separate package.

fjrrider 08-23-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT11 (Post 1501140)
I think all the Saharas are given 3.73s automatically

Not true

oilwell1415 08-23-2011 02:04 PM

Here's one of many window stickers from my dealer that show 3.73 as included with the auto trans:

Sport Auto

Saharas don't automatically get 3.73s. Here's one without.

3.21 Sahara

I'm pretty sure the one that was listed as being a Sahara with a tow package had 3.73's included with the tow package. I've got them all in a spread sheet at home, maybe I can locate it.

Smshly616 08-23-2011 04:10 PM

I am bummed about the trailer sway damping if it's true that it doesn't come with the max tow. That seems really odd (and wrong) that it wouldn't! I thought that I remembered Pat saying that one of his contacts told him that it was standard on all Wranglers. But that was quite a while ago, so who knows.

I ordered the max tow because I wanted the 3.73. I guess we will have to wait and see....my POC does not have it on there.

I am actually not sure how I would know that it was on there or not. Since I have never owned a vehicle that had it, I don't know any better.

Up Hill Bill 08-23-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smshly616 (Post 1501589)
... I thought that I remembered Pat saying that one of his contacts told him that it was standard on all Wranglers. But that was quite a while ago, so who knows. ...

I thought it was Milous. But, I remember one of the real authorities here posting just that, also.

panthermark 08-23-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO Jeep (Post 1499192)
Isn't "Max Tow" only offered with a 4 door?

I've wondered the same thing. Chrysler has everything jacked up. If you look at some of their earlier sheets, the two different codes are based on the 2 door or 4 door model.

Just a thought....
Maybe the 4 doors come with trailer sway already? That would make sense is the max tow if for the JKU.

Or at least that is how things would work in a perfect world....

panthermark 08-23-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Yup, AHT.

Check with your dealer. Someone had posted that Sahara Tan may come back later in the year. Maybe someone with inside knowledge can chime in...

panthermark 08-23-2011 05:11 PM

From Milous...
Notice that the AHT's are for the JK's, while the AHQ's are for the JKU's.
Oh..and there are the gears as well.....

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/wrangler...xle_ratios.jpg

panthermark 08-23-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycoke (Post 1500799)
Same thing happened to me. I ordered the AHT on 07/05, expecting to get 3.73 based on information at the time (fleet manual, information from the dealer, etc). Picked up the Jeep on 08/15 only to find 3.21. Dealer claims I knew what I was ordering and got exactly that. Chrysler says it's between me and the dealer.

I would have settled for an appology and moved on, but they were quite rude about it. Dealer also double charged me for the hardtop and I have yet to see my refund (charged full price for dual-top and color-match, less AR / Tread Lightly discount). Seriously hope someone starts a class action on this!

Next time, wait for the model to be on the lot and all bugs (lies) worked out of the ordering system.

Please, pleaes, please keep this updated.
I have been trying to figure out the pricing for the dual-top option and it seems like everyone is getting double charged.
X=ST
Y=Black HT
Z=Color HT which is really Y+$$$

Base price (with ST)
Base price - X + Y (black HT replaces ST)
Base price - X + Z (color HT replaces ST)

Base price + ?+? (What is the correct pricing for dual tops? How does one price dual tops with a colored HT?)

flyfish29 08-23-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 1501788)
Please, pleaes, please keep this updated.
I have been trying to figure out the pricing for the dual-top option and it seems like everyone is getting double charged.

Here is my take on the double charging issue-

When I was configuring mine with dual tops we selected Dual Top Group AEM and it required us to select MX3 Black Hart Top option too but with a $0 cost.

When I ordered it a week later it went in the same way, but a few days later when I got my VON and VIN it showed just the AEM Dual Top Group. I am unsure if the system or if the sales manager changed it.

I wonder if those who were double charged had the same thing happen where the computer system required AEM Dual Top group AND MX3 hard top option. So perhaps just like when my POC showed both tow packages (one being discounted to $20), and then when it came back with a VIN it showed both packages at full price!

Did that make sense?

flyfish29 08-23-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 1501751)
From Milous...
Notice that the AHT's are for the JK's, while the AHQ's are for the JKU's.
Oh..and there are the gears as well.....

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/wrangler...xle_ratios.jpg

So that chart is odd- why is the JK Auto the ONLY one where 3.73 is NOT INCLUDED in the tow package listed?

Also, the AHT is available on the JKU's, because every time we went into the computer order system it showed that as an option....confusing for sure.