Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Need serious lift help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/need-serious-lift-help-108987.html)

BRunyon7 08-23-2011 11:23 AM

Need serious lift help!

So im planning on lifting my 91 YJ soon and im a complete noob... My dad is a mechanic so im sure the manual labor he will walk me through but what will i need for the complete suspension lift?
Is this all i need besides my new tires?
Jeep YJ Wrangler 4 inch Lift Kit NEW N2.0,MAKE AN OFFER | eBay

4Jeepn 08-23-2011 11:45 AM

Front extended brake lines are a good idea as well.

jayare 08-23-2011 11:52 AM

also get new shackle bolts

BRunyon7 08-23-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 1500753)
Front extended brake lines are a good idea as well.

what does that help with?:confused:

BRunyon7 08-23-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare (Post 1500775)
also get new shackle bolts

How much do these cost and how important are they:confused:

4Jeepn 08-23-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRunyon7 (Post 1500778)
what does that help with?:confused:

if you take the jeep off road, and have the the front sway bar and have the trac bars removed the front axle will flex enough that the stock front lines, going to the brake caliper may rip out. I have the same kit your looking at.

mrobison1 08-23-2011 12:35 PM

x2 on the brake lines. Other than that I think everything is there.

kj 92yj 08-23-2011 03:02 PM

you can probably get a better deal from Truck (Jeep) Add-Ons. Search the vendor area in the board and you'll come across them. contact name is chris.

BRunyon7 08-24-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj 92yj (Post 1501367)
you can probably get a better deal from Truck (Jeep) Add-Ons. Search the vendor area in the board and you'll come across them. contact name is chris.

So i just go up to the vendor tab and search by area?

aekdbrich 08-24-2011 10:43 AM

Good luck. I have a couple friends with the RC lift and they seem to love it. The extended brake lines are definitely a must. And everyone I know has eliminated the trac bars, but that's completely up to you. It's all about how you want the Jeep to flex when you take her off-road.

91CYJWrangler 08-26-2011 09:34 PM

Probably some extended bump stops! And I would definitely make sure it has a good warranty before buying from ebay!

turdhurdler 08-27-2011 02:04 AM

The kit is very complete and will be fine for moderate off roading. I have the same kit on mine and it takes quite a beating. With the 4" lift, you may have driveline vibrations even with the belly skid lowering brackets. If you do, you may need a Slip Yoke Eliminator. When I installed my kit, I went exactly by the directions. Over time, I have removed both the front and rear track bars and even the sway bars. I would not even bother with the track bars unless the area you live in does physical inspections of vehicles to register. The sway bars are up for debate. Some people say that they have to be used on the road, others (me included) don't feel they are necessary. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and you will get the proper information from this forum. A lot of great guys and gals.

Jeff

daddyjeep 08-27-2011 09:16 AM

I am in on ditching both the track bars and sway bars. I havent had my sway bar for years, but just recently took off the tack bars. It made a huge difference in flex. I really havent drove it on the road much to know if there is any difference there.

hodge1971 08-28-2011 02:47 PM

X10 on the shackle bolts...you will never get the spring bolts out on the rear of the front springs and the front of the rear springs to reuse them. They seize into the metal bushing with rust and wont come loose. I ended up using a 3/4 inch drive air impact gun on mine and snapping the heads off and getting the springs out that way. I bought greaseable poly bushings for the new lift so it doesnt happen again