Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   how big of a lift before needing new driveshafts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-big-of-a-lift-before-needing-new-driveshafts-109437.html)

chezeppelin70 08-25-2011 07:52 PM

how big of a lift before needing new driveshafts
 
Hey guys,im thinking about getting a 2.5 inch lift on my '08 x. I've heard that after about 3 inches, you need to start looking into replacing driveshafts, other people say even with a 2.5 you wont get more than 20k miles before needing new ds. Anybody have a lifted jk that would care to comment on this? Please say how much of a lift and how many miles have been driven on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kjeeper10 08-25-2011 08:07 PM

First off, what are your plans?
What size tires you want?
No need to go nutz with a JK as far as lifting.

daggo66 08-25-2011 08:09 PM

It's more of an issue with an automatic transmission than a manual. It also depends upon how how you wheel it. Read this article:

Fatal Angle Tom Woods JK Wrangler Driveshafts - Jp Magazine

Rogerg 08-25-2011 09:01 PM

I have a 4" Rancho sport lift and so far i have zero driveshaft issues.The lift been on almost 2 years on my 4 door auto.I wheel alot on 3 to 5 rated trails and its my DD.

And the thing is,there are alot of guys i have wheeled with that runs 4" and they all still uses the factory DS.So maybe driving style does help as daggo mentioned.

chezeppelin70 08-25-2011 09:01 PM

Im looking for a small lift, want to run 33's with plenty of flex room, but still key it a daily driver. Plan to go wheeling 2 or 3 times a month spending on my budget at the time. I should also mention, I do have a manual transmission.

MTH 08-25-2011 09:18 PM

You got a 2 door, right?

For 33s, 2.5" should give plenty of clearance and no likely driveshaft issues. That'd be more clearance than you have stock on 32s.

daggo66 08-25-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg (Post 1509564)
I have a 4" Rancho sport lift and so far i have zero driveshaft issues.The lift been on almost 2 years on my 4 door auto.I wheel alot on 3 to 5 rated trails and its my DD.

And the thing is,there are alot of guys i have wheeled with that runs 4" and they all still uses the factory DS.So maybe driving style does help as daggo mentioned.

Based on the article, 4 drs. can go higher than 2's.

chezeppelin70 08-25-2011 09:34 PM

I do have a 2 door. The article also mentioned something about damaging the ds on the exhaust while flexing. Is this one of those things that depend on the height of the lift? Am I more likely to do that flexing a 3 inch lift as opposed to a 2.5 inch lift?

daggo66 08-25-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chezeppelin70 (Post 1509691)
I do have a 2 door. The article also mentioned something about damaging the ds on the exhaust while flexing. Is this one of those things that depend on the height of the lift? Am I more likely to do that flexing a 3 inch lift as opposed to a 2.5 inch lift?

Yes.

JohnT11 08-25-2011 10:23 PM

Would that be why AEV offers a 2" lift kit while everyone else offers 2.5"? Just so you're less likely to damage anything?

MTH 08-26-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnT11 (Post 1509885)
Would that be why AEV offers a 2" lift kit while everyone else offers 2.5"? Just so you're less likely to damage anything?

There are a number of companies that offer 2" budget boosts. Like this one, this one, and this one. It's just preference.

Full-Traction Suspension 08-26-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chezeppelin70 (Post 1509691)
I do have a 2 door. The article also mentioned something about damaging the ds on the exhaust while flexing. Is this one of those things that depend on the height of the lift? Am I more likely to do that flexing a 3 inch lift as opposed to a 2.5 inch lift?


Most 2.5" lift are atleast 3". You need to check the shock length on either. Over 27" shock length is when the DS hits the skid plate.

monkers 08-26-2011 11:20 AM

For what its worth, I talked to a gentleman from Teraflex at the Pa Jeep show, and he told me I could lift my 2 door Rubicon (2010) 3" with out doing drive shafts, but said you would need to do control arms to change the pinion angle or something like that, if that helps you

Gnarlos 08-29-2011 08:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chezeppelin70 (Post 1509240)
Hey guys,im thinking about getting a 2.5 inch lift on my '08 x. I've heard that after about 3 inches, you need to start looking into replacing driveshafts, other people say even with a 2.5 you wont get more than 20k miles before needing new ds. Anybody have a lifted jk that would care to comment on this? Please say how much of a lift and how many miles have been driven on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Here is my 08' 2dr on 35's and a 2.5 sky jacker lift with shocks. I've driven 6k with it and have trail ridden plenty of times.I didn't change the drive shafts, and have no complaints and have plenty of clearance for trail riding. Of course, with all trail riding even properly equipped, something is always bound to break! :crash: That is why we fix it and get back on the trail!

ESP 08-29-2011 09:35 AM

That last pic is a good one.

kjeeper10 08-29-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnarlos

Here is my 08' 2dr on 35's and a 2.5 sky jacker lift with shocks. I've driven 6k with it and have trail ridden plenty of times.I didn't change the drive shafts, and have no complaints and have plenty of clearance for trail riding. Of course, with all trail riding even properly equipped, something is always bound to break! :crash: That is why we fix it and get back on the trail!

Looks great.

Agree that pic is awesome, almost said to use as your avatar, then I looked--you did :thumb:

Gnarlos 08-29-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1519264)
Looks great.

Agree that pic is awesome, almost said to use as your avatar, then I looked--you did :thumb:

HA! Thanks guys, appreciate it! :D

pluke the 2 08-29-2011 02:11 PM

2" lift, 2 door, automatic, 10k miles with lift and tires no ds issues:


i don't wheel very hard.

i tore the boot on my front ds first time out

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...2/CIMG4937.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...2/CIMG5008.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...GHORN128-1.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...LEGHORN130.jpg


this is where my boot actually got ripped: (off the side of the tranny)

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...LEGHORN129.jpg





if you got a 2" lift with longer travel shocks, automatic tranny, two door, and you disconnect while off roading, you will tear your boot.

pluke the 2 08-29-2011 02:13 PM

after you tear your boot from your front drive shaft, well, people like to say it's just a matter of time before it blows up on you. remember, if it starts to make noises, replace it.

chezeppelin70 08-30-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnarlos (Post 1518823)
Here is my 08' 2dr on 35's and a 2.5 sky jacker lift with shocks. I've driven 6k with it and have trail ridden plenty of times.I didn't change the drive shafts, and have no complaints and have plenty of clearance for trail riding. Of course, with all trail riding even properly equipped, something is always bound to break! :crash: That is why we fix it and get back on the trail!

Nice ride man, really like it. How well does it do on the pavement? Mine is my DD, so how much a lift affects the ride is a bigger deal to me than maybe other people. I was looking at a rock krawler 2.5 inch max travel. Any opinions on this specific lift?

chezeppelin70 08-30-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension (Post 1510984)
Most 2.5" lift are atleast 3". You need to check the shock length on either. Over 27" shock length is when the DS hits the skid plate.

Do you mean the ds hits the skid plate during normal everyday driving? Or during hard flexing or rough trail driving.

ESP 08-30-2011 08:43 PM

^^^ He means that the shaft will come into contact with the skid plate when offroading if the sway bars are disconnected. If you have a 2-2.5 lift and DO NOT disconnect the sway bars then your shafts will not come into contact with the plates.

Rexacon 08-30-2011 09:29 PM

Replace your front DS and you will be fine. It the front DS diameter that is an issue so get a coast or Tom Woods DS and be done with it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.