Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Best performing headers? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/best-performing-headers-109526.html)

Decimus 08-26-2011 12:37 PM

Best performing headers?
 
My exhaust manifold is cracked in like 3 places so I want to switch to headers hoping they will stand up to the heat of the 4.0's I6 better. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which brand was any better than the other. I'm a college student so I'm somewhat budget minded, but I'm not going to waste money on Rugged Ridge or anything and have it crack in less than a year. I've also read that the 2-piece manifolds hold up a bit better, does anyone have any experience with these? how was the install?

TjTheo 08-26-2011 12:40 PM

i have borla headers, they sound great and no problems at all.

Badass_TJ 08-26-2011 12:51 PM

^^^^ x2

UnlimitedLJ04 08-26-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decimus (Post 1511238)
I've also read that the 2-piece manifolds hold up a bit better, does anyone have any experience with these? how was the install?

all 2000+ TJ's came with 2-piece exhaust manifolds...so theres lots of folks driving around without a crack.

look into doing the 2-piece manifold swap with a walker intermediate pipe.

Black98 08-26-2011 05:12 PM

ive had the raw steel rugged ridge for almost 4 years now w/o a crack on it. But i agree if you could find a 2 peice header and create some time of adaptation to fit our head pipe it would be much much less likely to crack.

Decimus 08-26-2011 11:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking Borla it is. They do offer a one million mile warranty; can't really beat that. They also have a 2 piece, I assume for the 2000+ models, might try to adapt that to my setup.

UnlimitedLJ04 08-27-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decimus (Post 1513056)
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking Borla it is. They do offer a one million mile warranty; can't really beat that. They also have a 2 piece, I assume for the 2000+ models, might try to adapt that to my setup.

how is a million mile warranty good if you have to take the manifold off every few months when it cracks, assuming they honor their warranty?

Murfman 08-27-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 1513253)
how is a million mile warranty good if you have to take the manifold off every few months when it cracks, assuming they honor their warranty?


They honor their warranty without question. A few years ago I bought a Cracked Borla header from a friend of mine for 50.00, I figured I would weld the crack and have a good header for my TJ. I read about the million mile warranty and called Borla. Without question, they sent me a return authorization I sent in the cracked header and they sent me a brand new one! It has been on my 98 TJ for 8 years so far with no problems whatsoever.

Jerry Bransford 08-27-2011 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Decimus (Post 1513056)
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking Borla it is. They do offer a one million mile warranty; can't really beat that. They also have a 2 piece, I assume for the 2000+ models, might try to adapt that to my setup.

Borla's (Banks too) one-piece headers are well known for cracking and their "million mile warranty" doesn't also magically get the free replacements installed.

The only way I'd install a Borla is by going with their two piece design which can make the installation and 02 sensor placement problematic.

Personally I'd stick with a one-piece replacement header that has the improved crack-resistant design that adds replacement flexible steel accordan joints where the cracks form which cures the cracking problem.

The newer crack resistant design Jeep later went to looks like the below header (the flex joints are circled in red) which is available all over eBay for a pretty inexpensive price.

Decimus 08-27-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1513996)
Borla's (Banks too) one-piece headers are well known for cracking and their "million mile warranty" doesn't also magically get the free replacements installed.

The only way I'd install a Borla is by going with their two piece design which can make the installation and 02 sensor placement problematic.

Personally I'd stick with a one-piece replacement header that has the improved crack-resistant design that adds replacement flexible steel accordan joints where the cracks form which cures the cracking problem.

The newer crack resistant design Jeep later went to looks like the below header (the flex joints are circled in red) which is available all over eBay for a pretty inexpensive price.

Definitely going to look into that. The flex joints do seem like they would be ideal for taking some of the load and vibration from the engine movement which seems to be one of the causes of the cracks appearing in the first place. And it's a way better value, $130 vs. Borla for $400, yeah definitely gonna try that one out.

Jerry Bransford 08-27-2011 08:14 PM

What I can't understand is why neither Borla nor Banks have installed the flex joints that would stop theirs from cracking. Even the cheap import headers have them. Jeep upgraded their headers to include the flex joints back in '99 or so to fix their problem with cracked headers. I had three cracked headers replaced on my '97 before Jeep came out with the improved header which fixed the problem.

Decimus 08-27-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1515092)
What I can't understand is why neither Borla nor Banks have installed the flex joints that would stop theirs from cracking. Even the cheap import headers have them. Jeep upgraded their headers to include the flex joints back in '99 or so to fix their problem with cracked headers. I had three cracked headers replaced on my '97 before Jeep came out with the improved header which fixed the problem.

That is odd that they don't. Do the flex joints possibly change the tone of the exhaust? I've read a lot about people choosing them simply for the sound.

Neil F. 08-28-2011 08:08 AM

Headers are not going to affect the sound.

While I'd agree a flex joint may correct the cracking issue, a corrugated section is counter productive to the theory of a header which is less restriction and smooth flow.

Jerry Bransford 08-28-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 1516033)
Headers are not going to affect the sound.

True.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 1516033)
While I'd agree a flex joint may correct the cracking issue, a corrugated section is counter productive to the theory of a header which is less restriction and smooth flow.

If the header user was looking to break the record at the Winternational drag races, I would say that may be something to consider. Since I doubt any of us running the 4.0L are doing anything like that, I'd have to say the flex header is all benefit with no drawbacks. :)

ktx_jeeper 12-30-2012 11:41 PM

Jerry I'm fixing to order my third header for my Jeep, the one i just installed 8 months ago has the flex joints and still cracked on me. I did buy it on ebay for a 100 bucks so maybe the material wasn't as good or what. Where do you suggest I buy one?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.