Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 JK tow ratings with the 3.6L (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-jk-tow-ratings-with-the-3-6l-109730.html)

Jeepstin 08-27-2011 06:20 PM

2012 JK tow ratings with the 3.6L
 
I just acquired my new 2012 Rubicon. I couldn't find tow specs prior to purchase and thought I would share the info from the DVD that came with the Jeep. Hope it's helpful!!!

Engine/Transmission Axle Model GCWR (Gross Combined Wt. Rating) Frontal Area Max. GTW (Gross Trailer Wt.) Max. Trailer Tongue Wt. (See Note) 3.6L/Manual 3.21 Two–Door Sport Model (4WD) 5,329 lbs (2 417 kg) 25 sq ft (2.32 sq m) 1,000 lbs (453 kg) 100 lbs (45 kg) 3.6L/Manual 3.73 Two–Door Sport Model (4WD) 6,329 lbs (2 871 kg) 25 sq ft (2.32 sq m) 2,000 lbs (907 kg) 200 lbs (91 kg) 3.6L/Automatic 3.73 Two–Door Sport Model (4WD) 6,353 lbs (2 881 kg) 25 sq ft (2.32 sq m) 2,000 lbs (907 kg) 200 lbs (91 kg) 3.6L/Manual 3.21 Two–Door Sahara Model (4WD) 5,430 lbs (2 463 kg) 25 sq ft (2.32 sq m) 1,000 lbs (453 kg) 100 lbs (45 kg) 3.6L/Manual 3.73 Two–Door Sahara Model (4WD) 6,430 lbs (2 916 kg) 25 sq ft (2.32 sq m) 2,000 lbs (907 kg) 200 lbs (91 kg) 3.6L/Automatic 3.73 Two–Door Sahara Model (4WD) 6,454 lbs (2 927 kg) 25 sq ft (2.32 sq m) 2,000 lbs (907 kg) 200 lbs (91 kg) 3.6L/Manual 4.10 2–Door Rubicon Model (4WD) 6,507 lbs (2 951 kg) 25 sq ft (2.32 sq m) 2,000 lbs (907 kg) 200 lbs (91 kg) 3.6L/Automatic 4.10 Two–Door Rubicon Model (4WD) 6,533 lbs (2 963 kg) 25 sq ft (2.32 sq m) 2,000 lbs (907 kg) 200 lbs (91 kg) 3.6L/Manual 3.21 Four–Door Sport Model (4WD) 5,742 lbs (2 604 kg) 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m) 1,000 lbs (453 kg) 100 lbs (45 kg) 3.6L/Manual 3.73 Four–Door SportModel (4WD) 8,242 lbs (3 738 kg) 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m) 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) 350 lbs (159 kg) 3.6L/Automatic 3.73 Four–Door Sport Model (4WD) 8,257 lbs (3 745 kg) 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m) 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) 350 lbs (159 kg) 3.6L/Manual 3.21 Four–Door Sahara Model (4WD) 5,782 lbs (2 623 kg) 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m) 1,000 lbs (453 kg) 100 lbs (45 kg) 3.6L/Manual 3.73 Four–Door Sahara Model (4WD) 8,282 lbs (3 757 kg) 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m) 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) 350 lbs (159 kg) 3.6L/Automatic 3.73 Four–Door Sahara Model (4WD) 8,297 lbs (3 763 kg) 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m) 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) 350 lbs (159 kg) 3.6L/Manual 4.10 Four–Door Rubicon Model (4WD) 8,406 lbs (3 813 kg) 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m) 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) 350 lbs (159 kg) 3.6L/Automatic 4.10 Four–Door Rubicon Model (4WD) 8,431 lbs (3 824 kg) 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m) 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) 350 lbs (159 kg)

Up Hill Bill 08-27-2011 06:30 PM

Easier to see this way:

Attachment 65085

Note chart omits automatics with 3.21 axles. :nonono:

daggo66 08-27-2011 11:07 PM

Exactly the same as it has been since 2007 with the 3.8. :rolleyes:

panthermark 08-27-2011 11:50 PM

I'd like to hear why the tongue rate changes for the 3.21....
Unless different shocks are involved, why would gearing impact the tongue rate?
Same frame, same engine, wheelbase, same hitch....what gives?

Jim M 08-28-2011 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1515629)
Exactly the same as it has been since 2007 with the 3.8. :rolleyes:

Tom,

Why would you expect a change? The frame attachment for the hitch has not changed. Take a look at how it attaches versus, say, a pickup truck, and you will see why the limit is lower than many would expect. Those 4 bolts, all close together, don't distribute the load to the frame very well.

37Olivestreetbrews 08-28-2011 06:20 AM

This thread finally proves my dealer was talking truth about gears for the 2door auto sport. 3.73. Must be a change this model year on the sticker since it says standard equipment 3.21 but when you add auto trans it says nothing about the higher gear ratio on the sticker.

daggo66 08-28-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim M

Tom,

Why would you expect a change? The frame attachment for the hitch has not changed. Take a look at how it attaches versus, say, a pickup truck, and you will see why the limit is lower than many would expect. Those 4 bolts, all close together, don't distribute the load to the frame very well.

I wouldn't. That's why I dont understand the purpose for this thread.

Mykll 08-28-2011 09:02 AM

The Pentastar doesn't morph how it is attached to the frame as needed? Inconceivable!

Anyway. So the 2 door and 4 door both have it attached the exact same way? 4 close bolts? Please tell me they attach differently.

cavsvet74 08-28-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 1515763)
I'd like to hear why the tongue rate changes for the 3.21....
Unless different shocks are involved, why would gearing impact the tongue rate?
Same frame, same engine, wheelbase, same hitch....what gives?

The max tongue weight is 10% of the trailer weight.
The gearing affects how easily you can get moving.
That is why (I assume) the 3.21 geared Jeeps are only rated to tow 1000lbs.
1000lb trailer weight = 100lb tongue weight.

oilwell1415 08-28-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mykll (Post 1516119)
The Pentastar doesn't morph how it is attached to the frame as needed? Inconceivable!

Anyway. So the 2 door and 4 door both have it attached the exact same way? 4 close bolts? Please tell me they attach differently.

Yes, they attach the same way. I don't think it has as much to do with the bolts being close together as it does that they attach the hitch to the rear crossmember instead of the main frame rails like other hitches. By doing this the strength of the hitch is limited to the strength of the crossmember and how it attaches to the frame. The frame rails go from one end of the Jeep to the other, so when the hitch is attached to them the strength is limited only by the hitch itself and the bolts that attach it. It also attaches in a way that tries to twist the crossmember out of the frame every time you acclerate or brake. In the engineering world we refer to this sort of thing as "pi$$ poor design". It's an industry term.

Mykll 08-28-2011 09:32 AM

Ok.. So, the actual way it bolts on, even on a 2 door, can support 3500. But, because the 2 door has a shorter wheel base, is lighter, whatever, they take off 1500 and have only a 2000 limit. But, if you have 3.21 gears, no matter what, you will have a hard time moving weight, so you are stuck at 1000 no matter what. Think I finally got it straight in my head.

panthermark 08-28-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavsvet74 (Post 1516138)
The max tongue weight is 10% of the trailer weight.
The gearing affects how easily you can get moving.
That is why (I assume) the 3.21 geared Jeeps are only rated to tow 1000lbs.
1000lb trailer weight = 100lb tongue weight.

True, but there is new gearing for the 2012's (especially for the auto's). It looks like Jeep just changed the date on the chart and called it a day.

As an aside, the weather is awesome today. I think I'm going to grab the motorcycle and head over to Naperville Jeep and take another look at what they have out there.

Edit::facepalm:
Maybe that is why the 3.21 auto's are not listed in the first place. The new gearing in the auto, along with the new engine, may end up giving 3.6 autos with 3.21 the same tow rating as those with 3.73's and 4.10's.
Makes it hard to sell a max tow package.....
Just thinking out loud....

cavsvet74 08-28-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 1516177)
True, but there is new gearing for the 2012's (especially for the auto's). It looks like Jeep just changed the date on the chart and called it a day.

As an aside, the weather is awesome today. I think I'm going to grab the motorcycle and head over to Naperville Jeep and take another look at what they have out there.

Yep, the lower gear ratios are rated to tow heavier loads.

As to your aside, I would recommend River Front over Naperville.
It was a better experience over all.
Or, better yet, get with Pat@Fields here on the forum when you are ready to buy.

Now back to our originally posted program.:D

oilwell1415 08-28-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mykll (Post 1516166)
Ok.. So, the actual way it bolts on, even on a 2 door, can support 3500. But, because the 2 door has a shorter wheel base, is lighter, whatever, they take off 1500 and have only a 2000 limit. But, if you have 3.21 gears, no matter what, you will have a hard time moving weight, so you are stuck at 1000 no matter what. Think I finally got it straight in my head.

Correct. The hitch is physically capable of holding the load, but when they assign a tow rating they have to consider everything including stability of the tow vehicle while towing. The higher the tongue weight goes the less weight will be carried by the front wheels and the more will be carried by the rears. A light front end reduces stability and can create a dangerous situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 1516177)
True, but there is new gearing for the 2012's (especially for the auto's). It looks like Jeep just changed the date on the chart and called it a day.

As an aside, the weather is awesome today. I think I'm going to grab the motorcycle and head over to Naperville Jeep and take another look at what they have out there.

Edit::facepalm:
Maybe that is why the 3.21 auto's are not listed in the first place. The new gearing in the auto, along with the new engine, may end up giving 3.6 autos with 3.21 the same tow rating as those with 3.73's and 4.10's.
Makes it hard to sell a max tow package.....
Just thinking out loud....

I agree that they just changed the date and clicked print. Max tow doesn't include new gears, so lighter ratings really won't hurt that.

daggo66 08-28-2011 10:35 AM

2012's have the same axle gearing available as 07-11. The hitch is exactly the same for a 2 door as a 4. The difference is wheelbase.

Jim M 08-28-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1516089)
I wouldn't. That's why I dont understand the purpose for this thread.

Werd...:doh:

Jim M 08-28-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415 (Post 1516156)
...In the engineering world we refer to this sort of thing as "pi$$ poor design". It's an industry term.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the industry term of art. As an outsider, and strictly an armchair engineer, I can tell you that same term is often used to describe similar designs. The difference is we use that term loosely, you use it with authority. :D

Up Hill Bill 08-28-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1516280)
2012's have the same axle gearing available as 07-11. The hitch is exactly the same for a 2 door as a 4. The difference is wheelbase.

Except the 2012 auto gets 3.21 gears standard, while 2007-11 autos have 3.73 standard.

The charts, probably just copy & paste from earlier models, failed to add towing specs for the auto with 3.21. But, it's isn't hard to project that they are 1000/100.

Don't buy a Jeep for your main, mid to heavy weight tow rig.

KSCRUDE 08-28-2011 12:20 PM

We don't sugar coat nuttin out in these here parts. The term you are all groping for and the one most common in real Americana is (southern engineered or southern rigged) although we are not this politically correct in our choice of words. But at least we (I) don't have to us profanity (pi$$) to get a simple point across. Back on a more related to this thread topic. I have a 2011 explorer and it Has almost the same engine size (3.5) HP (290) and torque about the same as the jeep Jesus motor. And it doesn't even have a frame, built on the unibody tarus car chassis and it has a tow rating of(drumroll please) 5000 pounds! I would imagine that the new 12 jeep soccer mom 4 door suv, with that massive frame and all could easily tow 5000 pounds. I don't think the hitch is that weak of a link and that poorly engineered for that matter. By the way the gear ratio on the ford is 3.08 and it is using a six speed select shift auto. Probably about the same weight and wheelbase as the jku.

JeeperJake 08-28-2011 02:23 PM

re: "In the engineering world we refer to this sort of thing as "pi$$ poor design".

I appreciate the clarity of this explanation.

In consideration with many other Wrangler features, the observations by KSCrude and others, along with my own astute analysis, demonstrates yet another factor in the monkey-dance trying to understand the difference between "specification sheet" and "speculation sheet" that leaves so misunderstanding.

oilwell1415 08-28-2011 06:35 PM

Thank you for the sermon KSCRUDE. I'm sure we are all better people because of you! Surely you have better things to do than play internet police. Much worse than pi$$ is said on this board every day. Heaven forbid you may find a post that says crap.

KSCRUDE 08-28-2011 07:15 PM

Thanks for the compliment, I am not at liberty to express anymore on the subject. Enough said, have a good evening.

Barrie 08-28-2011 07:20 PM

Play nice people, okay? Thanks :thumb:

InvertChaos 08-28-2011 07:24 PM

There isn't even a standard for tow ratings btw. There was an article about it in 4wheeler magazine. I'm positive that a JKU can tow more than 2000lbs or whatever.

panthermark 08-28-2011 10:43 PM

I think the spec sheet is BS and the vehicle limited by the hitch design. My little Libby gasser has a factory installed a 7 pin, class III hitch. If that wheelbase/engine/tranny can tow 5000 pounds, a 2012 JKU even with 3.21's can tow 5000 pounds. But...the Libby's hitch is attached to the frame-rails....

off a cough 08-28-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark
I think the spec sheet is BS and the vehicle limited by the hitch design. My little Libby gasser has a factory installed a 7 pin, class III hitch. If that wheelbase/engine/tranny can tow 5000 pounds, a 2012 JKU even with 3.21's can tow 5000 pounds. But...the Libby's hitch is attached to the frame-rails....

The Libby is unibody, as is the Grand Cherokee. The GC has the same drivetrain as the 2012 and tows 5000lb with a similar wheelbase.

Considering Jeep's 2012 "user guide" gives towing info for the 3.8, I'm still of the belief that this towing nonsense is just sloppiness on the behalf of Chrysler and not necessarily based on anything else.

daggo66 08-29-2011 06:12 AM

It's not a HP thing. The 3.7 in the Liberty is 210 HP.

Osage Orange 08-29-2011 08:51 AM

Soooo with all the reasons for a low tow rating such as connecting points/ hitch design, brakes, and lack of stability.....why hasn't an aftermarket engineering genius come up with an all inclusive towing kit that upgrades the tow rating for those that just need "a little more"?

daggo66 08-29-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osage Orange (Post 1518911)
Soooo with all the reasons for a low tow rating such as connecting points/ hitch design, brakes, and lack of stability.....why hasn't an aftermarket engineering genius come up with an all inclusive towing kit that upgrades the tow rating for those that just need "a little more"?

Liability.

Osage Orange 08-29-2011 08:58 AM

.....or would a solid frame hitch design get you hung up on a rock somewhere?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.