Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Stolen Batteries (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/stolen-batteries-110153.html)

Ttharrington92 08-30-2011 10:10 AM

Stolen Batteries

Here in the USVI jeeps are popular. This time of year (end of summer) everyone is broke do to lack of tourism blah blah. A few friends of mine have had their batteries stolen from the jeeps at night. Has anyone figured out a way to lock the battery without a hood lock? I was thinking just use locktite on all the bolts holding my battery down. Or just throwing a lock on it somewhere to make it look harder to steal than then next guys.

IDSKoT 08-31-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttharrington92 (Post 1522810)
Here in the USVI jeeps are popular. This time of year (end of summer) everyone is broke do to lack of tourism blah blah. A few friends of mine have had their batteries stolen from the jeeps at night. Has anyone figured out a way to lock the battery without a hood lock? I was thinking just use locktite on all the bolts holding my battery down. Or just throwing a lock on it somewhere to make it look harder to steal than then next guys.

I thought about this... I decided if I was going to do this, I'd install some sort of C clamp that goes through the Battery Tray with two padlocks on the bottom.

I'll do that if the battery gets stolen more than once...

commodore_dude 08-31-2011 08:52 AM

Why not just get a hood lock?

SirGeorgeKillian 08-31-2011 09:24 AM

Some razor wire wrapped around it might make someone think twice....

Andy Jones 08-31-2011 10:01 AM

Why not just a really simple alarm with a hood pin switch.

Would give you some protection from someone opening your hood, and it would have a starter kill to help prevent theft of the entire jeep.

You could buy one for under $100. Installation of an alarm in a jeep is extremely easy (to do it right, not just to t-tap it).

IDSKoT 08-31-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Jones
Why not just a really simple alarm with a hood pin switch.

Would give you some protection from someone opening your hood, and it would have a starter kill to help prevent theft of the entire jeep.

You could buy one for under $100. Installation of an alarm in a jeep is extremely easy (to do it right, not just to t-tap it).

Hood pin alarm with some piezo sirens. Like 2 or 3... Deafen anyone to the point of throwing up.

Andy Jones 08-31-2011 01:04 PM

Exactly. I have a main siren that is hidden close to my battery and two piezo pain generators that are mounted in the interior of the jeep.

I have those a perimeter sensor. Extra shock sensor and a magnetic reed switch on the tailgate.

All if that took me around 4 hours to install and I hate alarms. I mean I hate installing alarms. The hardest thing about a jeep is finding where to hide items Making the wire look factory is easy as is finding the wires you need

Sherpa 09-03-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodore_dude (Post 1526389)
Why not just get a hood lock?

x2.