Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   After Lift... questions. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/after-lift-questions-110439.html)

htkrph 08-31-2011 07:11 PM

After Lift... questions.
 
My 04 4.0 TJ, is finally going to be lifted. and i couldnt be happier. But after i bought the lift i started reading on the transfer case drops and SYE kits and stuff. Makes me worried about the lift and glad i havent installed it yet. Alright so my questions i'm going to be installing a 4" Zone Off road lift. will i be needing a SYE kit right away? if i dont how long can i run the lift without it. if i needed right away i might just wait till i get it and install the lift then. I know after the install i need a front alignment. Anything else i should do? Im doing the lift myself i just want to make sure we i do everything at the same time. help ?

my98tj 09-01-2011 09:47 AM

if it didn't come with a transfer case drop bracket, you'll probably need one. you might get lucky and not need one, but i doubt it. after you're done get an alignment and drive it.:)

KKhamesi 09-01-2011 10:24 AM

i kinda have the same question but mines for a 3" zone lift. i dont think i need to do anything except for installing the lift kit

htkrph 09-01-2011 01:34 PM

the kit says... it says it comes with the transfer case drop and "rear pinion cam locks that rotate the rear pinion for proper driveline angles" ... so i should be good for the time being?

UnlimitedLJ04 09-01-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htkrph (Post 1528138)
My 04 4.0 TJ, is finally going to be lifted. and i couldnt be happier. But after i bought the lift i started reading on the transfer case drops and SYE kits and stuff. Makes me worried about the lift and glad i havent installed it yet. Alright so my questions i'm going to be installing a 4" Zone Off road lift. will i be needing a SYE kit right away? if i dont how long can i run the lift without it. if i needed right away i might just wait till i get it and install the lift then. I know after the install i need a front alignment. Anything else i should do? Im doing the lift myself i just want to make sure we i do everything at the same time. help ?

just wait until you can do the SYE/CV shaft all at once with the lift. you'll also need longer front brake lines. with the SYE/CV shaft, you'll need adjustable upper control arms. if you're going to run 35" tires, you'll also need adjustable lower arms capable of being shortened shorter than stock.

unfortunately the control arms that come with that Zone kit suck pretty bad, and those type of poly bushings are known to rip the control arm mounts off the axle...so you'll eventually want to upgrade the lower control arms to Currie or Rokmen. until then, i'd suggest sticking with the stock arms, unless you end up with caster issues in front and need adjustable lowers.

the rear pinion "cams" are crap, do not use them. huge PITA. you want adjustable upper control arms for pinion corrections.

htkrph 09-01-2011 02:46 PM

wait until i get SYE kit. plan on waiting till i have the SYE kit. then upgrade the upper control arms. yeah so something that came started at 500 will end up at around 1k? i only plan to run 33".

IndyJeepMan 09-01-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htkrph
wait until i get SYE kit. plan on waiting till i have the SYE kit. then upgrade the upper control arms. yeah so something that came started at 500 will end up at around 1k? i only plan to run 33".

Its a Jeep man, its how it goes. It seems simple but no one sells a complete kit, just because it says kit doesnt mean its complete ;)

Plus, it may be 500 more smackers, but thats 500 bucks towards a reliable lifted rig that is safe and wont surprise you with problems and costs down the road!

htkrph 09-01-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 1530749)
Its a Jeep man, its how it goes. It seems simple but no one sells a complete kit, just because it says kit doesnt mean its complete ;)

Plus, it may be 500 more smackers, but thats 500 bucks towards a reliable lifted rig that is safe and wont surprise you with problems and costs down the road!

and thats what i want ... and thats why i have waited. aaargh! i wanted to be ready! grrrrrr!

htkrph 09-01-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 1530606)

the rear pinion "cams" are crap, do not use them. huge PITA. you want adjustable upper control arms for pinion corrections.

front or rear?

htkrph 09-01-2011 03:09 PM

right parts?
SYE from RE:
Rubicon Express Part RE1807 - Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit by Rubicon Express for Jeep

and upper control arms: front
Currie Part CE-9102 - Johnny JointŪ Front Upper Control Arms by Currie Enterprises for Jeep

king0517 09-04-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 1530749)
Its a Jeep man, its how it goes. It seems simple but no one sells a complete kit, just because it says kit doesnt mean its complete ;)

Plus, it may be 500 more smackers, but thats 500 bucks towards a reliable lifted rig that is safe and wont surprise you with problems and costs down the road!

I agree, there is not a complete kit. I went that road when i was younger and half way to Roush Creek with my buddies my transfer case split in two. I didn't have the SYE kit or a drop for my transfer case. I should have waited and put them on since they were in the mail but we put the lift on and went. That trip was 6hrs long with no wheel time at all.
Just wait till you have your parts and put it together. I don't have any experience with the lift you bought so pls let me know how it works out for you.

BoBowski 09-04-2011 08:25 AM

You can do a hack and tap sye or check out PORC. PORC has the lowest price on an sye. As far as the driveshaft goes, find one from a an xj(front) and have it cut and rebalanced. Its a lower cost alternative that works.

Redsand 09-04-2011 09:34 AM

i was fine for a few years after my 4 inch lift with a t-case drop and no sye, and i ran the stock uppers, but they were a little tweaked from wheeling,

thecheezman 09-04-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKhamesi (Post 1530138)
i kinda have the same question but mines for a 3" zone lift. i dont think i need to do anything except for installing the lift kit

Pretty sure you won't need anything for the kit. I also purchased a steering stabilizer and a concentric cam alignment kit. But I haven't installed it yet. The reason I chose 3" is because I won't need a t-case drop or sye. I also bought a 1.25 bl and 1" motor mount lift. Just for extra clearance. That's the highest I really want to be anyways. I'm not a hard wheeler and mostly drive on the street. I just wanted a lift for the snow, and just incase it calls for it.

htkrph 09-05-2011 08:08 PM

this is my problem. i found out the kit needs some other parts. i came to terms with that. now i face that the SYE kits out there need other parts and modifications out of my mechanical expertize which kind of bums me out. puts a big dent and halt of my plans for the jeep.

@thecheezman: i should have gone that way. it kind of makes sense. i didnt think about it like that when i bought the lift.
@king0517: i will let you know how it goes. hoping everything goes well. the jeep is my DD and without her i wouldnt be able to see my girl down in VA beach.

htkrph 09-05-2011 08:10 PM

this is from PORC ... is this the complete thing?

PORC

KKhamesi 09-05-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheezman (Post 1538390)
Pretty sure you won't need anything for the kit. I also purchased a steering stabilizer and a concentric cam alignment kit. But I haven't installed it yet. The reason I chose 3" is because I won't need a t-case drop or sye. I also bought a 1.25 bl and 1" motor mount lift. Just for extra clearance. That's the highest I really want to be anyways. I'm not a hard wheeler and mostly drive on the street. I just wanted a lift for the snow, and just incase it calls for it.

sweet thanks! ya thats the same reasonwhy i got a 3" lift too. also my parent use the car sometimes and they need to get into it

oIIIIIIo 09-05-2011 09:04 PM

I would do a 3" lift and BBL and MML at the same time. You will be much happier. First you lift your Jeep to get it higher off the ground and with a TC drop kinda defeat the purpose.

With a 4" lift you are opening up a whole different can of worm. A lot more involved, in terms of more other components you will need to get and installed to have it done right.

htkrph 09-05-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htkrph (Post 1542855)
this is from PORC ... is this the complete thing?

PORC

so northridge has a package that comes with the CV
Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: SYE

thats great. i should be good. i will eventually upgrade Rear UCAs pocket bout empty with the wedding and the jeep.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.