Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Mesh or screen rear window? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/mesh-or-screen-rear-window-110693.html)

Climber07 09-02-2011 08:03 AM

Mesh or screen rear window?

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a source for a mesh or netting rear window for a 2011 Unlimited? I spend a lot of time with the top folded back, rear window removed, but when we are taking the dog with us, we need to make sure he can't jump out of the back. I know there is a full netting back if the whole soft top is off, but I'm looking for a zip in rear window.

I've been searching the web, but no luck yet, and thought somebody might be able to nudge me in the right direction...

thanks,

Mike

Kspike 09-02-2011 08:55 AM

I have not seen anything like that but sounds interesting. Maybe you could DIY something with mesh and hungers that would stretch from rollbar to rollbar. Check safari straps as well, I think you can leave them on with the top up.

Kspike 09-02-2011 08:56 AM

Supposed to read bungees, not hungers.

InfernoGirl 09-02-2011 09:23 AM

Check with Bestop. They make them for TJ's, not sure if they make them for JK's or not tho'.....

Climber07 09-02-2011 09:24 AM

Yeah, I was thinking about one of the mesh stretchy bungy "nets" used to hold luggage in place, and hooking to the roll bars, but was thinking someone must have done this before...

Escapade 09-02-2011 09:29 AM

A quick note to those looking for dog control options......the Smittybuilt C-RES cargo netting that is currently for sale does not fit on a 2012 JKU. I just had to return mine. I called Smittybuilt and they have purchased a 2012 JKU to use as a test bed, but as of now, the C-RES does not fit.

SlackerMD 09-02-2011 10:13 AM

Safari straps work awesome...top up or down. I have them for my dog just in the cargo area of my jku.

SlackerMD 09-02-2011 10:40 AM

couple pics of the Safari Straps...

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...D/P1020294.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...D/P1020296.jpg

JIMBOX 09-02-2011 11:30 AM

:whistling: Raingler nets can hold anything back there-

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/PICT0183.jpg

You can attachem to anything that'll hold and they'll hold kids/dogs/women-whatever !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

SlackerMD 09-02-2011 11:43 AM

and how much experience do you have strapping on kids/dogs/women...;)

I have been looking for a new place to put the wife when she insists on going out with me, but i was just thinking about beefing up the spare tire carrier some more to fit a lawn chair

JIMBOX 09-02-2011 11:49 AM

:whistling: Heh Heh, thats notta good idea-

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackerMD (Post 1533601)
and how much experience do you have strapping on kids/dogs/women...;)

I have been looking for a new place to put the wife when she insists on going out with me, but i was just thinking about beefing up the spare tire carrier some more to fit a lawn chair

It'll just ruin the tailgate hinges !!!

Except for that-it is a good idea :rofl:

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

SERVINTX 09-09-2011 11:47 AM

try bootynets

check out SJ Products in the vendor section. they make nets for wranglers that might be what your looking for. kind of a fun name too - Booty Nets

daggo66 09-09-2011 11:58 AM

Safari Straps with the windows out.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/P1000202.jpg

El Gringo 09-09-2011 12:03 PM

I would not recommend the Smittybilt CRES for pets, It is a good system, but for keeping critters in the jeep, it would not be my first pick.

SlackerMD 09-09-2011 02:54 PM

Agreed. My neurotic houdini lab would get through the CRES in about 6 seconds flat.

Smshly616 09-09-2011 04:58 PM

The safari straps look awesome!! But I am thinking that they are too expensive for me right now.

XPADREX 09-10-2011 12:11 AM

In a related note, Id love to make or buy screens to replace the zip in windows for sleeping in the Jeep, but keeping out the mosquitos.

jspeer1130 09-10-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XPADREX
In a related note, Id love to make or buy screens to replace the zip in windows for sleeping in the Jeep, but keeping out the mosquitos.

Now that there is what I call a great idea!

InfernoGirl 09-10-2011 09:56 AM

58820-15 - Bestop® Mesh Window Kit for Replace-a-top™ in Black Denim for 88-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

Looks like they don't make them for tops after '02..... :( Idk why, other than the fact that they must not be great sellers.....

XPADREX 09-10-2011 06:49 PM

I wonder- is there a source for stock replacement wondows? Shoot, I could sew on some screen, and cut out the vinyl... heck, I could put snaps in for a quick and dirty "hey it's raining" semi-shield...

...and then I'll put on the lasers, yeah... and the tank treads.. what? Oh yeah... screens. SCREENS.

that's what I want.

InfernoGirl 09-10-2011 07:02 PM

Well yeah, just hit up Craigslist and ebay and buy a set of nasty scuffed up windows, cut out the plastic, and silicone in some pet screen........ Sometimes it's the simplest things that make the most sense ;)

kjeeper10 09-10-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl
Well yeah, just hit up Craigslist and ebay and buy a set of nasty scuffed up windows, cut out the plastic, and silicone in some pet screen........ Sometimes it's the simplest things that make the most sense ;)

Interesting :thumb:

Spera 07-10-2012 07:38 AM

Hi there fellow Jeep Owners !

I hope this therad ain't dead, because I have the same question... And the Safari straps just won't do, cuz I have a German Shep in that trunk of ours. She's too tall for the sloped netting, not to forget that we're soon going to have a second one...

The idea of replacing the rear window with a custom version sounded good to me at first, but on my model the rear window is all glass - and it also includes the rear wiper engine...

Any other ideas, anyone ?

And by the way, I'll post a picture of the young lady in her pullman, if only I could understand the technique for posting a pic here... :banghead:

Spera 07-13-2012 03:04 AM

Darn, just got word back from my favourite parts salesperson (a very friendly lady in the UK, where parts are much cheaper than in France, and they have a larger choice too). It seems the idea I wanted hasn't been materialized yet. Darn, Land Rover has that part, why can't Jeep do sumthin for our buddies ?

As a reminder, this is what I'm talking about:

Freelander Window Dog Guard - Genuine Land Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

And just run a Web search on STC53047 if you need more details. I can definitely see this part being built and installed on our tailgates (with the rear window open, unless Jeep decides to change the shape of the roll bar, and makes it in the same right-angle fashion as on the three-door Jeeps ?

JeepHerz 07-13-2012 03:48 PM

Anyone used the generic Safari strap model? Our pint sized Sheppard mix is really good- I don't need the 2" straps. The non-Jeep generic ones are cheaper.
1" Utility Net - Medium
Is that what you have Daggo 66?

Lowerumble 07-13-2012 04:52 PM

Waiting to hear from anyone with generic as well.

JeepHerz 07-13-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smshly616 (Post 1555344)
The safari straps look awesome!! But I am thinking that they are too expensive for me right now.

Don't use bungees in place of safari straps. Even strapped tightly they'll move. You can order Safari straps alone and rig the same thing. Just not something you want to do frequently.
I am ordering the Safari strap nets but you can:
Buy a leash that has a "traffic handle" like this one.
The Grrrip 2 in 1 Dog Leashes in Black at PETCO
Push/fold your seat forward. If your seat locks- great. If not bungee it to the side bars. PLace a short (usually blue) bungee between the metal u-type brackets on the bottom of the seat. Loop/put the "short" handle on the leash through this bungee. This will strap the dog in- and be just long enough for them to lay down, sit and move around a little. But they won't be able to reach the side wheel wells. You can do this set-up using a harness- just buy one with a leash hook on it.
It works well but since we take our dog out a lot (and on trails) I'm forking over the bucks for something more secure.
By the way: Spidershade makes a mesh side-shade now. Its $99 for the pair. I personally don't like it because its solid mesh- but I do wonder if its more secure..
JK2D | SpiderWebShade.com

JeepHerz 07-19-2012 01:02 PM

I ran across a bungee-type cargo net at Walmart for $9.99 (automotive section). It fits the rear of the Jeep perfectly. You can easily strap it to the roll bars and use it as a screen in lieu of windows. It works on the sides but will need a little extra rigging because its too long. A dog could get their paws stuck in it and its only as secure as you bungee it but if you're on a budget...
Together that makes them $30. I am still ordering the Spidershades for mine for $100 because I want extra security for off-roading- but this is a cheap option.

Spera 07-20-2012 10:38 AM

Well, it seems that I may be onto something, here... Found a system called CoolK9, I've asked them for a price estimate (including delivery to France...). They are based in California, here's more details

CoolCop

If it works, I won't need to remove the windows any more - Seypah and her soon-to-join-us sister Kissah will be all comfy in their space !

JeepHerz 08-06-2012 03:04 PM

Just got my Safari Straps! Pleasantly surprised at how well made these are. The stitching in excellent and the buckle part is metal- not cheap plastic. They even include small plastic clips to hold the (floppy) end of the strap in. I'll probably order something for the back too. They look nice enough that I'll probably just leave them on most of the time vs. just for dog days.