Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tough First Morning Start (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tough-first-morning-start-110698.html)

bgmac1178 09-02-2011 08:00 AM

Tough First Morning Start

This week my 2006 jeep Wrangler SE 4cyl has had a tough time starting in the AM. To get it running I have to give it gas once it turns over for about 30 seconds and then it will stay running without an issue. If I donít give it gas it will sputter and stall out and a matter of seconds. The curious part about it is the Jeep will turn right over even after it has been parked at work for 8.5 hours and not started during the day i.e. 8am-4:30pm. Last night I got home around 8pm ET and went to leave the house at 7:30am ET and had a starting issue 11.5 hrs resting. In the winter I did have a problem with starting and had to turn the key to the on position and let pressure build in the lines before I could turn it to start but that seemed to subside. My biggest fear is that it is the fuel pump assembly that needs to be replaced because I am thinking it could be the check valve or a combination of issues with the assembly. The only other thought I have it a possible faulty fuel injector(s).

Any thoughts or experience anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have approximately 80k miles on the car. Within the last 10k miles I have replaced all the fluids except the power steering fluid. Plugs, wires, battery, ignition coil, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner pulley and thermostat have been replaced. Air filter is new, throttle body has been cleaned.

Thank you for your time.

rda616 09-02-2011 08:25 AM

You need a fuel pressure regulator. It is located on top of the fuel sending unit on top of the gas tank! This is common on many chrysler vehicles and is a relatively easy fix. You can get the regulator at any parts store for about $100.00. Takes a couple hours to change because you need to drop the gas tank.

bgmac1178 09-02-2011 09:17 AM

Thank you

Thanks for the help on this one, I'm going to get going on this ASAP.

bgmac1178 11-11-2011 06:54 AM

Fuel Pump Installed still having issues

Good Morning All,
Well I had my fuel pump replaced yesterday due to the fact the new pumps are not serviceable anymore. So I was optimistic that it would correct the issue I have had. Unfortunately, this morning I had the same problem I have no idea where to go from here. It look a few cranks just to get it to turn over then once it turned over I had to give it gas to keep it running. The good news is I only had to keep the throttle pressure on until the engine got to about 150 degrees before the pump was replaced I had to wait until it was at full temp 200 or 210 degrees. If I donít keep the throttle pressure going it will stall out. I donít have any codes for bad sensors or anything I was thinking it could be the TPS or the idle sensor but I would hope a code would get tossed up but you never know. At one point I was thinking it was the starter but once the engine is running it should stay running.

Iím about to blow my brains out about this one, Iíve never had such a problem with any car and I have owned some POS. I would appreciate any input you all have. I have scanned the forums to see if anything is similar but in most cases it pointed to the fuel pressure regulator.

On a side note I picked up the Black Magic pads and rotor combo and have had them installed for about a week and I have to say they are sick. I like them a lot better than the ceramic pads I had prior.

Thanks again for your time

bgmac1178 11-11-2011 07:15 AM

I forgot to add:
I currently have approximately 83k miles on the car. Within the last 14k miles I have replaced all the fluids except the power steering fluid. Plugs, wires, battery, ignition coil, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner pulley, thermostat and battey have been replaced. Air filter is new, throttle body has been cleaned.

Peepers 11-11-2011 07:15 AM

If you can't figure it out, as I personally dont have any ideas on your problem, an idea to at least make it easier to deal with:

They make hand throttle kits for around $35 (or if your handy, there are plans out there and you could fab your own). At least his way you wouldn't have to sit with your vehicle until it warmed enough to idle.

bgmac1178 11-11-2011 10:50 AM

Unfortunatly I'm not that handy but also there should be a resolution for the issue. I just don't want to replace 6 sensors just for the heck of it when it is probably one of the 6 or whatever.

freeskier 11-11-2011 11:16 AM

Have your battery checked.

bgmac1178 11-16-2011 08:56 AM

For a quick update I just replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and the Idle Control Sensor/Motor and it seems to have corrected the issue. I figured I would just do both seeing how they are right next to each other and I would rather do it in one shot. One thing that made me suspect of the ICS is when I would put the heat or air on the rps were dropping almost to a stall. There were no corrections being made. If anything changes I will update accordingly.

Thank you all for the help.

:dance:

Bob97TJ 11-16-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgmac1178 (Post 1749294)
For a quick update I just replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and the Idle Control Sensor/Motor and it seems to have corrected the issue. I figured I would just do both seeing how they are right next to each other and I would rather do it in one shot. One thing that made me suspect of the ICS is when I would put the heat or air on the rps were dropping almost to a stall. There were no corrections being made. If anything changes I will update accordingly.

Thank you all for the help.

:dance:

I had the same issue with my Cherokee when i had it, i changed those sensors, and problem was solved. Hope all works well for you !