Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Passenger side floor SOAKED after Hurricane (hard top on, windows shut)) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/passenger-side-floor-soaked-after-hurricane-hard-top-on-windows-shut-110887.html)

MojaveJulie 09-03-2011 01:10 PM

Passenger side floor SOAKED after Hurricane (hard top on, windows shut))
 
(I've looked this problem up, and didn't find any answers that applied - it's not the heater core, it is not the drain plugs, not cowl leaks, no rubber splits)

Hey there :) So I'm just about 3-4 weeks into owning my new wrangler, it's a 2011 mojave - love it! We have had some heavy rain here, and after the hurricane last weekend, I noticed that the passenger side floor was soaked underneath the mat. Even stranger, the mat itself on the top-side was not wet at all. So I can only assume that the moisture came in through the bottom of the vehicle?

All windows were shut fully, hard top in tact, rest of car was dry. Just the passenger seat was affected. And it was soaked through. We removed the passenger seat and the floor, and the padding underneath the rug was also completely saturated.

Furthermore, the brakes are squeaking like mad, and the hurricane was last weekend. No rain since.

Any insight?

Thanks in advance. Have a great holiday weekend!

cu in oz 09-03-2011 01:21 PM

When I took my new '11 Warnagle Sport in for an oil change at 1010 miles, the dealership changed the passinger side door seals ALL BY THEMSELVES.....in short, they did it without my asking......I assumed a "fix" must be in for them to do it.

Mine sat thru a Tropical Storm i our driveway last Sunday (Hardtop) in 60 to 70 mph winds and driving rain and remained as dry as its colour......Desert Sand. I'd check with my dealer about the seals.

cu in oz 09-03-2011 01:25 PM

Damn I can't type:nonono:.....its a "Wrangler" and NOT a "Warnagle"...:facepalm:..not too sure what the other one is :eek: but I don't have one.......at least I think I don't.:rolleyes:

cu in oz 09-03-2011 01:28 PM

Turns out I have the wrong colour too. Mine turns out to be Sahara Tan:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Man I can be stupid at times........:surrender:

tysalem 09-03-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cu in oz
Damn I can't type:nonono:.....its a "Wrangler" and NOT a "Warnagle"...:facepalm:..not too sure what the other one is :eek: but I don't have one.......at least I think I don't.:rolleyes:

You can always go back and edit your posts for a short period of time.

MojaveJulie 09-03-2011 01:31 PM

Oh, Warangle sport! Can't say I've heard of that model :) lol - Don't worry, typos happen to the best of us! :)

I think I'll take my car in for servicing, but I was curious if it was something I could fix on my own - or rather, my fiance can fix and I can watch! We are definitely the "get dirty and fix it yourself" types, which can sometimes work in our favor....and often can be a complete disaster! Maybe we'll let our dealership take care of this one. Sounds like an easy fix!

I do also wonder what is making the brakes squeak so loudly already though.

Other than that...the car is working beautifully so far.

CG3 09-03-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cu in oz (Post 1536034)
Damn I can't type:nonono:.....its a "Wrangler" and NOT a "Warnagle"...:facepalm:..not too sure what the other one is :eek: but I don't have one.......at least I think I don't.:rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I want one of those Warnagles..... :rofl:

Julie.... sorry 'bout your leak...

Emdy 09-03-2011 03:46 PM

My 2011 Sahara had the exact same leak. It is coming from underneath the door somehow and under the right side of the dash, like were the door strap is to keep the door from swinging back too far. Anyway, I took it to the dealer and they said they had to order new seals for the door. They know what does it they just wait for you to bring it in to them. Should be some kind of recall I think. Hope I helped some.

olderthandirt 01-03-2012 08:34 PM

My 2011 Unlimited has been in 3 times for the passenger door leaking. Dealer installed the new door seal the second time it was in. Last time they opened the holes in the seal to let the water escape faster. Has not rained enough to say that it is fixed.

jennycj7 05-16-2013 08:56 PM

When I was shopping for a 2012 they had 10 in a row at the dealership, all brand new, and every one of them was soaked inside. We had heavy rains, they were pointed down hill, I figured it was leaking hard tops but now that you said it the passenger side was a bit wetter than the drivers...

NFRs2000NYC 05-16-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojaveJulie (Post 1536016)
(I've looked this problem up, and didn't find any answers that applied - it's not the heater core, it is not the drain plugs, not cowl leaks, no rubber splits)

Hey there :) So I'm just about 3-4 weeks into owning my new wrangler, it's a 2011 mojave - love it! We have had some heavy rain here, and after the hurricane last weekend, I noticed that the passenger side floor was soaked underneath the mat. Even stranger, the mat itself on the top-side was not wet at all. So I can only assume that the moisture came in through the bottom of the vehicle?

All windows were shut fully, hard top in tact, rest of car was dry. Just the passenger seat was affected. And it was soaked through. We removed the passenger seat and the floor, and the padding underneath the rug was also completely saturated.

Furthermore, the brakes are squeaking like mad, and the hurricane was last weekend. No rain since.

Any insight?

Thanks in advance. Have a great holiday weekend!

When was the last time you greased the seals on the hardtop? Mine is a 2012, bought in 2011. It has been through biblical rain, powerwashing, etc....it has NEVER leaked, not even a drop. However, I grease my freedom/windshield seals every month or two.

Up Hill Bill 05-16-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3763539)
... I grease my freedom/windshield seals every month or two.

What do you use?

Halfoftwo 05-16-2013 10:06 PM

I have an '11 sport and when I got it the floor was soaked. Of course with it being a soft top my first thought was a leak in the top. After researching it some, I found that there is a part of the door seal that leaks. I opened the passenger door and "pushed" the seal back into the door. I have not had any leaks since then (at least a month-ish). I did find a write up (but forgot where) of someone that bought some small fuel line, sliced a small hole in the seal and fed the hose through it to make a better seal with the body, if that helps any.

NFRs2000NYC 05-16-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 3763559)
What do you use?

The best stuff on the planet when it comes to rubber seals....

http://twosrus.com/catalog/images/shinetsu.jpg

Buy it from here...scroll down to see it...

Buy Discount Honda S2000 Accessories - Discount Genuine Honda Accessories

Buy a tube, you'll thank me.

This is a Honda product, so you can try your local honda dealer first, but they may not have it in stock. The service departments use 5 gallon buckets of this stuff.

Up Hill Bill 05-16-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3763902)
...
Buy a tube, you'll thank me.

...

Done. Thanks!

Found it a little cheaper (only because of shipping cost to CA) at Amazon:

Honda Genuine Shin-Etsu Grease : Amazon.com : Automotive

NFRs2000NYC 05-16-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 3763938)
Done. Thanks!

Found it a little cheaper (only because of shipping cost to CA) at Amazon:

Honda Genuine Shin-Etsu Grease : Amazon.com : Automotive

Awesome. Before you grease, make sure you clean the seals well with some mild soap and water to get most of the dirt out, then park the rig in the sun, which will get the rubber soft, dry, and hot. then LIBERALLY apply the grease. Leave it on thick, then with a rubber glove, wipe off the excess. Don't wipe off with a cloth. The easiest way to apply is just throw on a nitrile glove, and use your index finger to spread it around. If you still see areas with a bit too much, don't worry, leave it on. Rubber sucks it in eventually. Do all the seals, the windshield frame, the freedom panels themselves, the main hardtop, etc. Everything rubber, grease it. Do the doors while you are at it.

Up Hill Bill 05-16-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3764082)
Awesome. Before you grease, make sure you clean the seals well with some mild soap and water to get most of the dirt out, then park the rig in the sun, which will get the rubber soft, dry, and hot. then LIBERALLY apply the grease. Leave it on thick, then with a rubber glove, wipe off the excess. Don't wipe off with a cloth. The easiest way to apply is just throw on a nitrile glove, and use your index finger to spread it around. If you still see areas with a bit too much, don't worry, leave it on. Rubber sucks it in eventually. Do all the seals, the windshield frame, the freedom panels themselves, the main hardtop, etc. Everything rubber, grease it. Do the doors while you are at it.


:thumb:

Thanks, again!



I've been cleaning all seals regularly with 303 Aerospace cleaner. I assume a pre-cleaning with that would prep the seals for the grease?

NFRs2000NYC 05-17-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 3764100)
:thumb:

Thanks, again!



I've been cleaning all seals regularly with 303 Aerospace cleaner. I assume a pre-cleaning with that would prep the seals for the grease?

Yup. You'll notice tons of fine dirt and stuff all over the seals. Wipe them off with water, then use windex to make sure any other solvents/cleaners are gone. This will "dry" the seal out and get them ready to absorb the new grease. I love 303, but it's not a "grease." It helps keep the seals UV resistant a bit, but it doesn't stop the rubber from dryrotting...just slows it down. This stuff will actually prevent dry rot. My s2000 is 10 years old, and my convertible top seals look brand new.

TOK 05-17-2013 05:34 AM

Marking this one so I can order some of this stuff. My Jeep sometimes sits with the top down all day on weekends, I'm worried about the seal at the top of the windshield drying out.

NFRs2000NYC 05-17-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOK (Post 3764556)
Marking this one so I can order some of this stuff. My Jeep sometimes sits with the top down all day on weekends, I'm worried about the seal at the top of the windshield drying out.

A monthly inspection of the seals will keep them pristine. Hell, throw some grease on there at every oil change and lay it on nice and thick. Like Jaimie from myth busters says, "when in doubt, lubricate" lol

NFRs2000NYC 05-17-2013 12:36 PM

Oh, and pay extra attention to corner areas. Make sure you put a bit extra, as the corners are generally where the leaks come from.

Up Hill Bill 05-25-2013 08:41 PM

Per NFRs2000NYC's suggestion, I cleaned my freedom top and door seals today and then liberally applied Honda Genuine Shin-Etsu Grease, and rubbed it in with a neoprene glove. Pretty easy.

Here's hoping it helps my small, occasional roof leak!

Thanks Dave! :thumb:

JKBrad 05-25-2013 08:58 PM

Silicon grease is great stuff. Any Di-electric silicon grease should be fine.

We've had about 12-15 inches of rain in the local area in the last couple of days. Mine has been dry as can be. I put OEM door sill guards on mine when it was new. That may help with draining water from the door seals away from the inside.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.