Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   YJ Lift Problem PLEASE HELP!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/yj-lift-problem-please-help-110986.html)

YJ880 09-03-2011 11:23 PM

YJ Lift Problem PLEASE HELP!!
 
I started installing a 2.5in skyjacker lift today. Im having a problem installing the spring. When I went to put it in it was a little short from the front shackle to the frame shackle so I loosened up the front to get it on but now my shackle is angled backwards and my 2nd problem is when I lowered the axle to spring the stud on top of the spring isnt lining up to go into the hole in the axle between the u bolts. Are these issues normal? I am doing one side at a time so everything on one side of the jeep is still tight. Could this be my problem. This is my first time lifting anything so any thoughts on this would really help me out. Thanx Keep jeepn

2xs 09-03-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ880 (Post 1537507)
.............. I am doing one side at a time so everything on one side of the jeep is still tight..............

See your problem?

Also, dont be afraid to smack the crap out of it, praise the all-mighty BFH!

IDSKoT 09-04-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xs

See your problem?

Also, dont be afraid to smack the crap out of it, praise the all-mighty BFH!

BFH happens to be the best way with a Jeep. Beat it until it loves you.

SCOOPYS-YJ 09-04-2011 01:11 AM

swhackle angled is normal.
as for the pin not lining up. it must
you may need to pull the spring one way or another, or possibly pull the axle forward or back. but the pin must go in

Yjwolf 09-04-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ880
I started installing a 2.5in skyjacker lift today. Im having a problem installing the spring. When I went to put it in it was a little short from the front shackle to the frame shackle so I loosened up the front to get it on but now my shackle is angled backwards and my 2nd problem is when I lowered the axle to spring the stud on top of the spring isnt lining up to go into the hole in the axle between the u bolts. Are these issues normal? I am doing one side at a time so everything on one side of the jeep is still tight. Could this be my problem. This is my first time lifting anything so any thoughts on this would really help me out. Thanx Keep jeepn

Easiest way for me( I've done 3 yj lifts) is to jack up the front or rear end and but jack stands on the frame. Then take the whole axel loose. Getting that pin to line up is a snap after that. The frame bolt, put a cheater bar through the shackle w spring attached and push down. That will move the spring forward enough to get the frame bolt in ( use a friend)

whiteyj 09-04-2011 02:43 AM

Pin is probably not lining up because of the old springs being still attached on the other side. Things are binding up. Got to remember the new springs are changing the geometry.

I used Yjwolf's method and set the frame on jackstands.

YJ880 09-04-2011 03:45 AM

AHHH! After I posted I went back outside and worked the other side. That made the axle VERY free to move around. As for the shackle, you leave them loose until the tires are on the ground the springs will flex and push them out, then tighten. It makes sense. Im done for the night but the front end is finished just need the shocks on and then bang out the rear lol. Hopefully I dont panic again. Thanx for the replies guys. Its a jeep thing.

banks316 09-04-2011 04:14 AM

We demand pics for helping

Hoosierbird 09-04-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316 (Post 1537944)
We demand pics for helping

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

YJ880 09-05-2011 02:03 AM

Finally finished! Im sick so I took a long break haha. All I know is I wish my air gun worked would have been done alot faster. Just need to set the steering toe tomarrow. Just took it around the block. It is so much stiffer, gotta love leaf springs. There is a little vibration but its not to bad. Maybe a t-case drop would help until I can afford the real stuff. Thanks for the support guys! Will post a pic tomarrow. Nice not having a stocker any more. Dont worry! Its a jeep thing

banks316 09-05-2011 11:32 AM

Thats the problem with sua lifts the tall you go the stiffer it is. When i built my lift i used stock springs way softer.

YJ880 09-06-2011 10:15 AM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/...6249/23108.jpg
2.5in lift just after install already on a trail. Its a jeep thing.

YJ880 09-06-2011 06:25 PM

Few pics for you guys. Thanks again. Keep Jeepn!!http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/...6249/23172.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.