Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   first time winch buyer (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/first-time-winch-buyer-111075.html)

mudslinger5000 09-04-2011 12:51 PM

first time winch buyer

i am thinking about buying a winch but i dont know which winches are good and which are bad. i would like to find a good winch for a decent price.

i was thinking about getting this one: Warn 86245 - WARN VR8000 Winch - Quadratec

Jeepoffroad04 09-04-2011 12:53 PM

Anything warn is good but $$$$$. If you can afford it go for it.

mudslinger5000 09-04-2011 01:02 PM

well that one at quadratec was a pretty good price for a 8,000 lb winch so i might go with that one. the real pricey part is buying the winch plate to mount it lol. i think at quadratec they wanted $237 for the plate...

Plowboy1970 09-04-2011 01:04 PM

I would love one too. I will be watching to see what is said. Looks like Smittyilt and Rugged Ridge is made by the same company??? They look the same.

mudslinger5000 09-04-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepoffroad04 (Post 1538738)
Anything warn is good but $$$$$. If you can afford it go for it.

so you have a smittybilt winch? how good is it? and how much was it?

Jeepoffroad04 09-04-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger5000
well that one at quadratec was a pretty good price for a 8,000 lb winch so i might go with that one. the real pricey part is buying the winch plate to mount it lol. i think at quadratec they wanted $237 for the plate...

:eek: I got my smittybilt winch plate for $70. Look for it

Jeepoffroad04 09-04-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger5000

so you have a smittybilt winch? how good is it? and how much was it?

Its perfect hasnt failed me yet. (knock on wood)

rda616 09-04-2011 01:12 PM

Smitty and rr are both throw away winches made in china! Warn are quality made, serviceable winches made in the usa. Warn also makes a budget line of winches that seem to be decent!

tj00wrangler 09-04-2011 01:14 PM

You could also try your local truck acc. shop. Some of them will carry winches and winch acc.

Bubba68CS 09-04-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger5000 (Post 1538733)
i am thinking about buying a winch but i dont know which winches are good and which are bad. i would like to find a good winch for a decent price.

i was thinking about getting this one: Warn 86245 - WARN VR8000 Winch - Quadratec

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm reading the specs wrong...but seems like the M8000 is a hell of a lot faster for not a lot more money:

Amazon.com: WARN 26502 M8000 8000-lb Winch: Automotive

Still...as a Warn, it has a heck of a reputation for quality behind it. Love my M8000. :thumb:

Jeepoffroad04 09-04-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rda616
Smitty and rr are both throw away winches made in china! Warn are quality made, serviceable winches made in the usa. Warn also makes a budget line of winches that seem to be decent!

We are talking about the winch plate. Plus my chinese winch hasnt failed me yet and I use it aleast every other weekend. Unless you have a smittybilt winch and hate it dont talk shit:thumb:

Coastiejeep 09-04-2011 01:22 PM

just a heads dont forget the added weight you might wanna slide in a BB to keep your rig sitting right

JeepnJim 09-04-2011 01:26 PM

My Smittybilt winch works. It's not that I don't prefer American made stuff it's just that I can be a cheap skate sometimes. Maybe I'll get a Warn cover for it. I speak fluent poser. :)

KidRock171 09-04-2011 01:34 PM

I have a warn m8000 and I've used it 2 times flawlessly. But I also got it used. And the p.o. Used the SHIT out of it. Came off a CJ rock buggy.

Bubba68CS 09-04-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastiejeep (Post 1538792)
just a heads dont forget the added weight you might wanna slide in a BB to keep your rig sitting right

After about 8,000 miles with a winch up front, mine is sitting 2" lower in the front than in the rear. Not sure what the factory rake was, but its pretty obvious its down in front now :nonono:

TJDave 09-04-2011 03:11 PM

I bought a new Smitty Xrc8 2nd gen (series wound) winch over 3 years ago. I could not afford a Warn at the time. It did not see very heavy use... a few times each summer, and lots on winter snow runs. It has worked everytime I have needed it to....up until the last time I needed it one month ago. It will not spool in under a load. I am not sure what is wrong with it. I'll have to take it apart and see if it can be fixed. I hear Smitty has great customer service, and is good about sending out parts. I think I got my $299.00 out of it. I bought it with full knowledge that is was a cheap Chinese winch, and would need to be replaced someday. That day has come and gone.

I bought a used Warn XD9000i in great shape from a friend. I paid $100 more for the used Warn than I did for the new Smitty. Well worth it.

I have a RC winch plate that fit both winches. I think it was $70.00.

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 06:33 PM

That should be a good winch, you should be able to find a winch mounting plate for less than $80 that will work just fine, check a few other websights and I'm sure you'll come up with many options that will work :)

rda616 09-04-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepoffroad04

We are talking about the winch plate. Plus my chinese winch hasnt failed me yet and I use it aleast every other weekend. Unless you have a smittybilt winch and hate it dont talk shit:thumb:

Why would I buy junk when I have already learned from my friends mistake! I have owned smittybuilt and have nothing good to say about their products. Myself I would have a plate made by my local fab shop for that same money and it would fit much better then any sh!tt/built product I have had, or have ever helped to install on another's rig .

computeruser 09-05-2011 12:46 AM

Don't be a cheap### and buy Chinese winches. That puts American people out of work, and you still end up with an inferior product.

If you can afford to lift a Jeep, buy expensive tires, and all that, you can surely afford to buy a proper winch when the time comes for one.

Jeepoffroad04 09-05-2011 12:54 AM

It seems like every time somebody says the name smittybilt in a thread it turns into a smittybilt bashing thread which pisses me off because I have a few smittybilt parts and they all are holding up perfectly(5 year warranty on all SB parts) . Even the most hardcore rigs in baja are running there parts.

computeruser 09-05-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepoffroad04 (Post 1540824)
It seems like every time somebody says the name smittybilt in a thread it turns into a smittybilt bashing thread which pisses me off because I have a few smittybilt parts and they all are holding up perfectly(5 year warranty on all SB parts) . Even the most hardcore rigs in baja are running there parts.

They may well be, but last time I checked they were still made in China. At the end of the day we all have a choice to make: do we do what it takes to keep jobs here, or do we cede all manufacturing to cheap-labor countries like China? Considering that you can get a US-made Warn M8000 shipped to your door for $539...

Jeepoffroad04 09-05-2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruser
Don't be a cheap### and buy Chinese winches. That puts American people out of work, and you still end up with an inferior product.

If you can afford to lift a Jeep, buy expensive tires, and all that, you can surely afford to buy a proper winch when the time comes for one.

Or put the money you saved from buying a SB winch and put it toward your jeeps lift with upgraded control arms. (btw skyjacker is US :p)

rda616 09-05-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepoffroad04

Or put the money you saved from buying a SB winch and put it toward your jeeps lift with upgraded control arms. (btw skyjacker is US :p)

Or put the money you save not having to buy another winch to replace the cheap sb winch two years down the road toward a lift .

Rubicondon53 09-05-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruser

They may well be, but last time I checked they were still made in China. At the end of the day we all have a choice to make: do we do what it takes to keep jobs here, or do we cede all manufacturing to cheap-labor countries like China? Considering that you can get a US-made Warn M8000 shipped to your door for $539...

I wear Redwing boots, all 3 pair, work boots, field boots, and hiking boots. We all try to buy American made products, but sometimes you just can't.. Even parts on my 04' are made in Mexico.. WE ALL DO WHAT WE CAN,,, Money is tight..... I have an XRC 8, works well, put a synthetic American made line on it. I drive two American made jeeps, while wearing my American made boots. I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague that it is... Wanna bash me for spending 300 on a winch? Then I suggest you switch to 100% ethanol, and stop using that cheap ass foreign gas, oil, and lubricants.

Redsand 09-05-2011 12:45 PM

warn makes the tabor brand of winches too, i know a guy that had one and it worked pretty good

Rakk17 09-05-2011 12:52 PM

There's a thread here about the Engo brand winches. I plan to buy the 10K on Tuesday.

Redsand 09-05-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakk17 (Post 1541681)
There's a thread here about the Engo brand winches. I plan to buy the 10K on Tuesday.

10k! gotta love overkill! :thumb:

Rakk17 09-05-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsand (Post 1541685)
10k! gotta love overkill! :thumb:

I figure for the price why not get the 10K. Never know when you might have to help out something bigger!

SirGeorgeKillian 09-05-2011 02:23 PM

I don't consider 10k overkill. Suction or obstructions snagging or holding you up can require some real grunt to get you out. Better to have a larger winch that you aren't working as hard than a smaller winch that is running through it's stages bogging down......

STUCK-N-MUCK 09-05-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruser (Post 1540831)

A Warn rep has disclosed that many parts on their winches were imports including the heart of the beast...the motor. With no apologies his excuse was that they can't get some of the parts in the states. They should be called assembled in USA from domestic and import parts.

Although the specifications and quality are SUPPOSED to conform to US standards, that doesn't mean they will be. Also remember, the quality can also be shoddy even if something's built in America.