Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What is the minimum amount of tools needed for trail repairs? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-is-the-minimum-amount-of-tools-needed-for-trail-repairs-111095.html)

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 03:37 PM

What is the minimum amount of tools needed for trail repairs?
 
What tools are needed for what parts while on the trail?

I think it would be helpful to come up with a list of what size wrenches, sockets, torx bits, and what they are used for based on the idea of trail repairs only, not what you would need for working on your Jeep in your garage.

I'll start off with a few, and what they're used for:

36mm socket for the spindle nut for changing out a failed unit bearing, or removing it to get to a broken axle.

1/2 inch 12 point box end wrench or socket for brake calipers, and the 3 bolts that hold on the unit bearing.

If everyone has got the idea, lets add to this, and come up with a "bare minimum" trailside tool kit that can be easily carried and doesn't weigh to much, or take up so much room that people would decide to leave it at home.

What tools, what for, and why :thumb:

That99SaharaGuy 09-04-2011 03:55 PM

Duct tape... period:thumb:

immarkshy 09-04-2011 03:59 PM

BFH for hitting things venting anger for broken rig
a saw and axe for cutting branches

i picked up a pretty well complete torx set its magnetic so it would stay out of the way
id say a complete 3/4" socket set
a shovel
and some type of jack... wether its a bottle of jack, a bottle jack, or a hi lift

That99SaharaGuy 09-04-2011 04:03 PM

Don't forget the fire extinguisher!

I'm getting a bracket made eventually for an ammo can that is going to have a new use as my tool box... It's gonna be sick!:D

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 04:42 PM

It might be easy to carry one of everything if you're wheeling with a tow rig and a trailer, but if you're driving to where you're planning on wheeling, and you have to carry a few days worth of gas, clothes, a tent, a cooler, trail spares, water and food, a camp stove, etc etc etc... it can easily use up enough room that you can't bring along your entire snap on tool box worth of tools.

I agree with the shovel, and ax, and saw, those are good trail tools. I also agree with the jack recomendations, and I can see where it would be a good idea to have both a High lift, and a bottle jack.

I know a Jeep uses a lot of torx bolts, but aside from the one on the front track bar, I don't see myself removing my tailgate or windshield, or roll cage as a normal trail fix.

What size is the torx bolt on the front lower track bar bushing bolt? What other trail fixes would require a torx bit, and what sizes?

Thanks and please keep the ideas coming.

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That99SaharaGuy (Post 1539137)
Duct tape... period:thumb:

Lol! Probably a good idea, but that's even more minimal than I want to go, lol :D

So adding duck tape to the list.

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immarkshy (Post 1539156)
BFH for hitting things venting anger for broken rig
a saw and axe for cutting branches

i picked up a pretty well complete torx set its magnetic so it would stay out of the way
id say a complete 3/4" socket set
a shovel
and some type of jack... wether its a bottle of jack, a bottle jack, or a hi lift

A couple of sizes of hammers sound like a good idea to me, as well as a breaker bar. I use my High lift handle for a breaker bar myself, so I think that one is taken care of. I like your saw and ax recomendations as well :thumb:

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That99SaharaGuy (Post 1539166)
Don't forget the fire extinguisher!

I'm getting a bracket made eventually for an ammo can that is going to have a new use as my tool box... It's gonna be sick!:D

Fire extinguisher should be mandantory, as well as an air supply of some sort for airing up tires. Quick bleed deflators sound like good trail tools as well, but not 100% needed. I'd say a good tire pressure guage should be mandantory though.

Michigunman 09-04-2011 05:09 PM

Tire gauges x2 (their small). One 0 - 20 PSI for airing down and another standard one for airing up.
Valve stem tool.
Extra valve stems.
Small WD-40 for drying electrical connections and other.
Multiple flashlights. 2 high output LED and 1 low (or adjustable) for map reading etc... Extra lithium batteries.
Quality sharp pocket knives.
A good multi tool on the belt goes a long way too.

immarkshy 09-04-2011 05:13 PM

yes a gerber... has just about everything haha love those things!

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigunman (Post 1539306)
Tire gauges x2 (their small). One 0 - 20 PSI for airing down and another standard one for airing up.
Valve stem tool.
Extra valve stems.
Small WD-40 for drying electrical connections and other.
Multiple flashlights. 2 high output LED and 1 low (or adjustable) for map reading etc... Extra lithium batteries.
Quality sharp pocket knives.
A good multi tool on the belt goes a long way too.

All of these are good to have, But I'm trying to come up with the barest minimum amount of tools to carry, I plan on buying them individually, or getting a kit and removing the pieces I don't need, and hopefully I'll be able to fit most of them into a tool bag, roll, amo can, etc...

I don't want to carry everything plus the bathroom sink with me off road.

I like the valve stem tool idea. I like the wd40 idea, and I'd add pb blaster to that as well. A good flashlight and extra batteries makes sense, but I don't want to carry 2 of them. A good multi tool makes sense as well.

Michigunman 09-04-2011 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

good flashlight and extra batteries makes sense, but I don't want to carry 2 of them.
Think small. 4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com

immarkshy 09-04-2011 05:52 PM

wow... $$$ can get small flashlights from harbor freight

Jerry Bransford 09-04-2011 05:53 PM

Things I won't be without while offroading...
Tire repair kit and plenty of tire plugs and patches. Safety Seal is a good one.
Air compressor or C02 tank.
Spare tire valve stems with valve stem tool.
Serpentine belt.
Upper/lower radiator hoses (used are ok)
Metric/SAE size tools. 3/8" and 1/2" drive plus combo box-end/open end wrenches. BFH, big pliers, and vise-grips too.
Torx up to T-55.
Gloves.
Two flashlights with spare batteries for each.
Tarp for laying on ground working under Jeep, helps keeps parts/tools from getting lost too.
Box of misc. nuts and bolts, especially larger sizes like to hold control arms in place.
Spare u-joint for the front axle shaft.
Spare u-joint for the driveshaft.
Snatch (recovery) strap together with shackles and misc. recovery gear.
At least one quart each of ATF, gear lube, and engine oil.
Gasket making material (can be used anywhere a gasket is needed, cut out with scissors).
Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool.
Sunscreen
Lots of water.
Jacket/boots.
Folding camp stool.
Area maps.
GPS
Fire starter kit (magnesium block, knife, sparker).

The above is a minimum for me. I do have a large permanent aluminum storage box in the back of my Jeep that took the place of the back seat so I have room to carry it all. If it's going to be cold, I throw a small efficient sleeping bag behind the seat just in case. Had some acquaintances stuck overnight on an offroad trail in the local desert (Johnson Valley) during the winter and they spent a very miserable night with only a light jacket apiece.

If it's a tough trail, I carry a welding kit together with a few pieces of scrap steel.

The above might seem like a lot but when you think about being 25-50 miles away from help as can be the case when offroading, it's not that much at all.

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1539431)
Things I won't be without while offroading...
Tire repair kit and plenty of tire plugs and patches. Safety Seal is a good one.
Air compressor or C02 tank.
Spare tire valve stems with valve stem tool.
Serpentine belt.
Upper/lower radiator hoses (used are ok)
Metric/SAE size tools. 3/8" and 1/2" drive plus combo box-end/open end wrenches. BFH, big pliers, and vise-grips too.
Torx up to T-55.
Gloves.
Two flashlights with spare batteries for each.
Tarp for laying on ground working under Jeep, helps keeps parts/tools from getting lost too.
Box of misc. nuts and bolts, especially larger sizes like to hold control arms in place.
Spare u-joint for the front axle shaft.
Spare u-joint for the driveshaft.
Snatch (recovery) strap together with shackles and misc. recovery gear.
At least one quart each of ATF, gear lube, and engine oil.
Gasket making material (can be used anywhere a gasket is needed, cut out with scissors).
Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool.
Sunscreen
Lots of water.
Jacket/boots.
Folding camp stool.
Area maps.
GPS
Fire starter kit (magnesium block, knife, sparker).

The above is a minimum for me. I do have a large permanent aluminum storage box in the back of my Jeep that took the place of the back seat so I have room to carry it all. If it's going to be cold, I throw a small efficient sleeping bag behind the seat just in case. Had some acquaintances stuck overnight on an offroad trail in the local desert (Johnson Valley) during the winter and they spent a very miserable night with only a light jacket apiece.

If it's a tough trail, I carry a welding kit together with a few pieces of scrap steel.

The above might seem like a lot but when you think about being 25-50 miles away from help as can be the case when offroading, it's not that much at all.

It actually isn't a lot in my opinion, I intend to carry most of that stuff myself, I'm just trying to focus on tools needed for trail repairs, I already have emergency supplies, first aid kit, food, water, shelter, and spare parts figured into it, I'm trying to reduce the amount of tools carried to the barest minimum.

Here's a way to picture it, If your Jeep is broken down 5 miles away from where your tool box is located, and you had to carry everything your self and hike back up to your jeep, what would you carry with you if you knew exactly what you needed to fix what broke?

I like the tarp, the tire plug kit, and the Co2 kit, the trail spares are all great ideas as well, but I'm trying to focus on just the tools, and hone in a little farther and focus on each individual socket, or wrench, and what they would be used for.

I also like the trail welder idea, And hopefully I'll purchase one eventually.

UnlimitedLJ04 09-04-2011 06:18 PM

carry the tools you have the ability to use, for the skills you have at repairing your junk - proportional to the terrain & distance you'll be traveling. a AAA card is pretty important too.

necromancer_tat 09-04-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 1539507)
carry the tools you have the ability to use, for the skills you have at repairing your junk - proportional to the terrain & distance you'll be traveling.

That's pretty Zen advice! I have the ability to use a jackhammer, and a backhoe, but I don't want to carry either of them on a trail with me, although a jackhammer might help to make little rocks out of big ones, lol :D

Coastiejeep 09-04-2011 10:31 PM

I always have two 8'' cresent wrenches, a small sledge, screw drivers, ratchet strap, electrical tape, and misc. nuts and bolts. And I will take other tools pending where I go.

WRX PELICAN 09-04-2011 10:45 PM

jack, tow strap, chain, socket set, screwdrivers, and shovel

TJe0454 09-04-2011 10:52 PM

a cell phone/cb to call out to a friend in case of emergency!

PeteH 09-04-2011 11:00 PM

A two-foot piece of 2x6 to put under the jack on soft ground.

BTW, with all the talk of LED flashlights -- if ever you have one that doesn't work, pop out the battery carrier and "roll" the batteries a little bit... the things are very sensitive to any oxidation on the battery contacts, and it probably will come back on again.

BTW2, also on LED flashlights, those "twofer-pack" ones at Horror Fright are not the most reliable. I've got three or four of them that've gone belly-up for no apparent reason. You can get LED versions of Mag-Lites that probably will be more durable/reliable.

Black Magic Brakes 09-04-2011 11:19 PM

There are a few things I consider mandatory besides a lot of the stuff already listed.

Large quality 24" or larger prybar.
18" high quality aluminum pipe wrench.
3 lb shop hammer with an unbreakable handle.
Ratcheting breaker bar in 1/2" drive with a 13mm 12 point socket.
1- 8" 1/2" extension for same.
1- 3/4" deep socket 1/2" drive
1- 13/16" deep socket 1/2" drive
1- 13mm ratchet wrench.

The 1/2" drive stuff will get 99% of the tires off of rigs and the unitbearings out of the knuckles. I don't carry a 36mm socket because I've only ever needed it one time and Mr. Bransford had the wrong spare axle with him. :D

Black Magic Brakes 09-04-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteH (Post 1540418)
You can get LED versions of Mag-Lites that probably will be more durable/reliable.

I know there are a lot of flashlight snobs in the world, but the pair of Maglites I've converted to LED bulbs are my go-to light sources for most repair jobs on the trail. The batteries seem to last forever, the light is good and I already had the Maglites.

Jerry Bransford 09-05-2011 12:38 AM

That's what I did to my Maglite as well, it works really well after the LED light conversion.

necromancer_tat 09-05-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastiejeep (Post 1540280)
I always have two 8'' cresent wrenches, a small sledge, screw drivers, ratchet strap, electrical tape, and misc. nuts and bolts. And I will take other tools pending where I go.

I like the ratchet strap advise, and the extra misc. fastners and electical tape. :punk:

necromancer_tat 09-05-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 1539507)
carry the tools you have the ability to use, for the skills you have at repairing your junk - proportional to the terrain & distance you'll be traveling. a AAA card is pretty important too.

Will triple A come out on a remote trail to rescue you? I'm just curious because that would be really cool, lol :D

necromancer_tat 09-05-2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRX PELICAN (Post 1540334)
jack, tow strap, chain, socket set, screwdrivers, and shovel

Chain or chains is a great trail tool, If you had to choose to only carry a few sockets instead of an entire selection which ones would you carry?

necromancer_tat 09-05-2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJe0454 (Post 1540369)
a cell phone/cb to call out to a friend in case of emergency!

I agree on both of these, both have saved my butt countless times! :)

necromancer_tat 09-05-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteH (Post 1540418)
A two-foot piece of 2x6 to put under the jack on soft ground.

BTW, with all the talk of LED flashlights -- if ever you have one that doesn't work, pop out the battery carrier and "roll" the batteries a little bit... the things are very sensitive to any oxidation on the battery contacts, and it probably will come back on again.

BTW2, also on LED flashlights, those "twofer-pack" ones at Horror Fright are not the most reliable. I've got three or four of them that've gone belly-up for no apparent reason. You can get LED versions of Mag-Lites that probably will be more durable/reliable.

Good advice about the 2x6, and the flashlight battery fix as well. I've never had any problems with my LED flashlights, but I'll keep the battery spinning idea in mine if I do :)

necromancer_tat 09-05-2011 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 1540499)
There are a few things I consider mandatory besides a lot of the stuff already listed.

Large quality 24" or larger prybar.
18" high quality aluminum pipe wrench.
3 lb shop hammer with an unbreakable handle.
Ratcheting breaker bar in 1/2" drive with a 13mm 12 point socket.
1- 8" 1/2" extension for same.
1- 3/4" deep socket 1/2" drive
1- 13/16" deep socket 1/2" drive
1- 13mm ratchet wrench.

The 1/2" drive stuff will get 99% of the tires off of rigs and the unitbearings out of the knuckles. I don't carry a 36mm socket because I've only ever needed it one time and Mr. Bransford had the wrong spare axle with him. :D

I can see where a large prybar would come in handy on the trail, as well as the pipe wrench. I know what the 13mm 12 points are used for, but what would the 3/4 inch and 13/16 sockets be used for?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.