Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Winter Tire/Rim Combo (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/winter-tire-rim-combo-111140.html)

RescueGreenJK 09-04-2011 06:59 PM

Winter Tire/Rim Combo
 
Recently purchased a 2010 Sahara JK 2DR and am looking into purchasing a snow tire/wheel package for the jeeps first upcoming Canadian winter. I am relatively new in the jeep world. Any package/combo/sizing recommendations? Greatly appreciated.

demarpaint 09-04-2011 07:03 PM

What's on it now? How's the rubber?

RescueGreenJK 09-04-2011 07:13 PM

Factory Sahara 18" rims on Bridgestone Dueler A/T's

KarlG 09-04-2011 07:18 PM

Blizzaks. Highest rated for a reason.

kjeeper10 09-04-2011 07:19 PM

What's wrong with those?

If your looking to change, the Duratracs get some good praise around here for an all terrain tire.

cavsvet74 09-04-2011 07:58 PM

I purchased a set of wheels and tires off of a Rubicon. They will be my winter wheels/tires.

adrenalin 09-05-2011 06:34 AM

Just put Duratrac's on the factory rims and call it a day. They will be great year round and have an excellent snow rating as well. If you want to go with a separate setup for summer and winter then just get cheap steel rims and blizzaks (as KarlG already mentioned). Blizzaks are awesome in the snow but a little over kill for a 4x4.

jk'n 09-05-2011 08:02 AM

Is this what you might be asking about?

We have some pretty miserable driving conditions in New England and the worst is probably driving on ice when there is an unexpected icing condition. I've run this setup for one winter and the jeep really hugs the road in all conditions. I'm super pleased with the performance. I'm a National Ski Patrol member and do lots of skiing. I like getting there safely in all conditions and sometimes that means driving in very poor conditions in mountainous areas. These tires with studs really do make a difference in keeping me on the road. I combine that with going slow enough for the conditions as well. No matter what you are running, it will not cancel out physics!

KarlG 09-05-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenalin (Post 1541026)
Just put Duratrac's on the factory rims and call it a day. They will be great year round and have an excellent snow rating as well. If you want to go with a separate setup for summer and winter then just get cheap steel rims and blizzaks (as KarlG already mentioned). Blizzaks are awesome in the snow but a little over kill for a 4x4.

Depends on the conditions. Blizzaks perform close to a studded snow tire on ice, and are a great winter/snow tire. Tire rack has some good tests of studlless snows vs snows vs all terrain tires. Where I am, we average over 9 ft of snow a year and have hit 16 Ft. A few years back our area got hit with 10 Ft in 1 week. There also is many days with freezing rain. My driveway goes up hill with turns for about 1000 ft and frequently has ice. I've been known to use hill decent control on the WK and WK2 to go DOWN it in winter on bad days.

If you want the best then go with a set up like jk'n and a full blown studded snow. The truck I use to plow that driveway has studded snows. Aggressive lugs, lots of siping and studs will "get 'er done"

If you are going to have a dedicated winter wheel/tire package the Blizzaks are close enough to a studded tire and much better than the Duratrak in icy conditions. The Duratrak is very good, we have run them on a WK too, but not as good as the Blizzaks. THe difference is very noticeable on icy surfaces and we always have icy surfaces here.

Bulldawgs 09-06-2011 11:40 AM

I just purchased a set of Blizzaks and will have them put on the stock wheels. I also ordered a set of sweet Fuel off road wheels to transfer over the stock rubber until it wears out which will be my summer set. Winter sucks but the combination of a Rubi with Blizzaks, watch out!

wigman 09-06-2011 12:11 PM

I just ordered a jku. I am going to lift it and put new tires on right away. I am going to use my old rims for snows. I live in the mountains of Maine. Our winters are harsh like yours. There is no substitute for snow tires. The rubber is different, period. They hold the ice better than any all terrain/season tire. Blizzacks are awesome but these days many companies offer snows of coomperable quality. Since I am lifting my jeep, I searched a few hours for the largest snow tires that would fit stock rims. 285 70 17 was the largest I could find. Tire Search Results. Im going with studded tires.

I don't have the link but some phd in Seattle studied snows vs non snows and studded vs non studded snows. Interestingly, the studded tires were only better for the first 1000 miles. We had two ice storms last year so im going with the studs anyways.

wigman 09-06-2011 12:15 PM

Sorry about the link. Narrow search to snowtires. Those are the studdable ones im getting though.

RescueGreenJK 09-28-2011 03:22 PM

What size tire and rim would be best suited for a dedicated set of snow wheels. Interested in the Duratracs

B11 09-28-2011 03:35 PM

Blizzaks for WINTER driving are the best tire I have EVER used. I've had them on multiple vehicles, incuding my 2dr rubi and anyone with a 2dr Jeep can tell you they can be squirrely as hell in the winter, they are awesome!!!

Now, as the saying goes "there are no free lunches" anyone who has never owned Blizzaks should know they are very soft, probably why they work so well in snow and especially on ice. So you don't really want to use them very long after old man winter leaves because they wear pretty fast once the temps start rising but for snow and ice there is nothing better....

Omar Brannstrom 09-28-2011 04:11 PM

Hi From Sweden

In the wait for my 2012 Wrangler I have ordered a set of winter tires.

I wanted a aggresive pattern, should look cool and be very good in deep snow.

Duratrac's are not allowed in Sweden as a wintertire according to GoodYear Sweden.

But Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX is, so I ordered ones with studs. I hope I will be satisfied. Size 265/70/17

https://www.tiresavings.com/tires/STMAXX.JPG

And Black Rock 908B rims.

http://www.raceways.co.uk/images/bla...-908B-Yuma.jpg

InvertChaos 09-28-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar Brannstrom
Hi From Sweden

In the wait for my 2012 Wrangler I have ordered a set of winter tires.

I wanted a aggresive pattern, should look cool and be very good in deep snow.

Duratrac's are not allowed in Sweden as a wintertire according to GoodYear Sweden.

But Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX is, so I ordered ones with studs. I hope I will be satisfied. Size 265/70/17

And Black Rock 908B rims.

The government mandates what tires you can and cannot run during the winter? That's smart I suppose.

Wil 09-28-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvertChaos (Post 1611916)
The government mandates what tires you can and cannot run during the winter? That's smart I suppose.

Many provinces in Canada are mandating true winter tires also.

Not much help here, I have a set of studded winter tires I will be using from my '96 Dodge 1/2 ton 4 x 4 I will be using.

They were pretty much unstoppable on the 4 x 4 and probably over doing it a bit on the Jeep. :)

Good luck on your decision!

Wil

XJ Knight 09-28-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar Brannstrom (Post 1611848)
Hi From Sweden

In the wait for my 2012 Wrangler I have ordered a set of winter tires.

I wanted a aggresive pattern, should look cool and be very good in deep snow.

Duratrac's are not allowed in Sweden as a wintertire according to GoodYear Sweden.

But Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX is, so I ordered ones with studs. I hope I will be satisfied. Size 265/70/17

https://www.tiresavings.com/tires/STMAXX.JPG

And Black Rock 908B rims.

http://www.raceways.co.uk/images/bla...-908B-Yuma.jpg

Disapointed to hear about what sweeden thinks of the duratrac but you have made a excellent choice.. The cooper ST Maxx should if they increase there tire size availablity quickly become the best selling AT on the market to 4x4 owners. Comparible to the duratracs with traction but unlike the duratracs, the ST Maxx has a 3 ply sidewall allowing it to be used in harsher offroad conditions with less risk of tearing.. When you get a chance to use them in adverse conditions please feel free to write up a review as I am interested in what you have to say about them

Omar Brannstrom 09-28-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvertChaos (Post 1611916)
The government mandates what tires you can and cannot run during the winter? That's smart I suppose.

Hi

Correct:) They have a list of approved tires. It should have soft "rubber" compound that do not get to hard when it is cold and should have deep threads, at least 3mm.

I do not think that the insurance will cover in a winter accident if summertires was used.

Its for your own safety and for other peoples safety and You will probably have it soon in US, we are so used to it.

Its expensive, You must have wintertires and summertires. Its ok to drive with studless wintertires like Blizzak summertime for now (legally) but the breaking distance is not so good in summertime and gets to soft.

According to the swedish law You most have dedicated wintertyres between 1 december - 31 mars or You get a fine. Studded tires is only allowed between 1 oktober - 15 april.

Here are some users with Cooper ST Maxx

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...verer-S-T-Maxx

Best regards from Sweden

Omar Brännström

InvertChaos 09-28-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar Brannstrom

Hi

Correct:) They have a list of approved tires. It should have soft "rubber" compound that do not get to hard when it is cold and should have deep threads, at least 3mm.

I do not think that the insurance will cover in a winter accident if summertires was used.

Its for your own safety and for other peoples safety and You will probably have it soon in US, we are so used to it.

Its expensive, You must have wintertires and summertires. Its ok to drive with studless wintertires like Blizzak summertime for now (legally) but the breaking distance is not so good in summertime and gets to soft.

According to the swedish law You most have dedicated wintertyres between 1 december - 31 mars or You get a fine. Studded tires is only allowed between 1 oktober - 15 april.

Here are some users with Cooper ST Maxx

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...verer-S-T-Maxx

Best regards from Sweden

Omar Brännström

That makes sense. It should cut down on the number of accidents. I guess I line far enough south that its a non issue.

RescueGreenJK 09-28-2011 10:37 PM

Anybody currently running the MOPAR 17x7.5" Winter / Off-Road Steel Wheel?

PecosRiver 09-28-2011 11:32 PM

Are studded tiers even legal in the states anymore? I'm pretty sure that when I lived in Illinois they were illegal.

XJ Knight 09-28-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecosRiver (Post 1613145)
Are studded tiers even legal in the states anymore? I'm pretty sure that when I lived in Illinois they were illegal.

http://www.milexautocare.com/steering/steer6.htm

Omar Brannstrom 09-29-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecosRiver (Post 1613145)
Are studded tiers even legal in the states anymore? I'm pretty sure that when I lived in Illinois they were illegal.

Hi

In Sweden we have a big debate because they say that studded tires destroy the pavement and increase airpolution that could make people sick.

So for now som few streets in Stockholm have signs that say studded is forbidden.

In Germany it is forbidden with studded tires.

But studded tires also saves lifes and give fewer accidents.

Litle OT but have You seen on a map that Stockholm in Sweden is at 60 degrees north, same hight as south Greenland and to the border to Northwest Territories.

Best regards from Sweden

Omar Brännström

XJ Knight 09-29-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar Brannstrom (Post 1613263)
Hi

In Sweden we have a big debate because they say that studded tires destroy the pavement and increase airpolution that could make people sick.

So for now som few streets in Stockholm have signs that say studded is forbidden.

In Germany it is forbidden with studded tires.

But studded tires also saves lifes and give fewer accidents.

Litle OT but have You seen on a map that Stockholm in Sweden is at 60 degrees north, same hight as south Greenland and to the border to Northwest Territories.

Best regards from Sweden

Omar Brännström

Sorry to stray from the topic here for a second but.. Omar I'd like to take a second to thank sweeden for Jhonas Enroth.. He is AWESOME! and loved by all in Buffalo NY.. Not sure if your a hockey fan or not but I felt compeled to say something

yobwoc 11-02-2011 10:37 AM

Go with the Blizzak in Canada. Excellent performance for first 20,000km. After that they are more like a regular snow tire. Still good just not amazing.

See picture of the Blizzaks in my "Jeep Profile" under wheel and tire modifications.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.