Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   rear window problem on soft top (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/rear-window-problem-on-soft-top-11149.html)

hemmer 09-04-2007 05:30 PM

rear window problem on soft top
 
ok this will be confusing so read carefully.

well one day i was gonna put the top down and when i was zipping the two zippers up for the back window the right zipper came off track. so i just peeled the window off the top cause i didnt know what to do.

well now the problem is that the zipper that should be on the right side will not zip onto the soft top itself on the left side because that is the only side the zippers can zip onto from.

now i could probably force it on and make it work but i wanted to ask first.

Or is there a better way to do this? Cause im new to jeeps and THINK i know what im doing.

debruins 09-04-2007 06:48 PM

if its zipper stuff i would go to your local REi or something like that and ask someone who knows about tent zippers to come out and take a look at it, or even a seamstress tailor person may know

MOz 09-05-2007 06:38 AM

You should be able to get it back on. Try using a very small needle nose pliers and a large flat head screwdriver and widen the gaps on both sides of the zipper clasp. Fit the clasp back onto the top and use a pair of larger pliers to compress it back to size.

tiny terror 09-05-2007 10:08 AM

Wait.... you said you were zipping the TWO zippers up. When you are removing the back window, you only use one zipper pull, the right one, and it goes all the way to the left and the window slips out through both of them. Or am I missing something?

Texapple 09-05-2007 10:21 AM

sometimes I unzip toward the top, both sides till the curve & roll up the window to put the top down

.....I'm totally confused :doh:

tiny terror 09-05-2007 10:26 AM

You can do that? I worry about the back window getting all crumpled so I just take it completely out.

But if the OP peeled the zipper out and actually got the window off he should be able to just reseat it. The way these zippers are made you can't seem to crease them or screw up the teeth which are the only things that would mess up the zipper I think.


Quote:

Originally Posted by hemmer (Post 131381)
well now the problem is that the zipper that should be on the right side will not zip onto the soft top itself on the left side because that is the only side the zippers can zip onto from.


Oh oh........ I'm not sure about all jeeps, but the zipper pulls on my top are on the top and not the windows. I think you're going to have to force it past the stop on the soft top side.

whiteyj 09-05-2007 11:11 AM

Almost sounds like he needs pictures! Kind of hard to screw up the back window zips????

hemmer 09-05-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 131740)
Wait.... you said you were zipping the TWO zippers up. When you are removing the back window, you only use one zipper pull, the right one, and it goes all the way to the left and the window slips out through both of them. Or am I missing something?

yes cause my first plans were to just zip them up to the top so i could roll up the window and leave it attached until my zipper jumped leaving a zipped section then open and the zipped again. so i just took the window out.

and ill put some pics up to try and help.

hemmer 09-05-2007 03:53 PM

ok the zipper for the left side is hooked to the top still. but the zipper for the right is on the window part. should it also be on the top like the left one?

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9...0122bz3.th.jpg


http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2...0123kw3.th.jpg

ccain 09-05-2007 04:43 PM

Looks to me that somebody had trouble with that zipper before. If I'm looking at the 2nd pic right, that looks like the inside of the left side of the window. The zipper clasp looks like it on the window upside down. It shouldn't be on the window period...But you already knew that. I say go with MOzs post. Pry that sucker off and flip it over and put it back on.

When both zipper clasps are together they should look like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...529/zipper.jpg

I hope this helps!

Texapple 09-05-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain529 (Post 131885)
Looks to me that somebody had trouble with that zipper before. If I'm looking at the 2nd pic right, that looks like the inside of the left side of the window. The zipper clasp looks like it on the window upside down. It shouldn't be on the window period...But you already knew that. I say go with MOzs post. Pry that sucker off and flip it over and put it back on.

I hope this helps!

I knew you would come along and clear up this problem :D

hemmer 09-05-2007 06:31 PM

ccain--- thanks a lot. that zipper diagram should help me out a lot. Moz's idea sounds good so ill give that a try.

ccain 09-07-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texapple (Post 131890)
I knew you would come along and clear up this problem :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemmer (Post 131912)
ccain--- thanks a lot. that zipper diagram should help me out a lot. Moz's idea sounds good so ill give that a try.


No applause... Just throw money! :rofl:
What can I say... When it comes to zippers and bra clasps... I'm a self-proclaimed expert!:rofl:

Well, I sure hope it works out for ya! Good luck!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.