Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Stock bumper rating? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/stock-bumper-rating-112066.html)

sell33 09-09-2011 09:42 PM

Stock bumper rating?
 
Hi guys,

Well I have another rookie question. What kind of weight/pulling rating do the stock bumpers have? I just bought a 97 wrangler last week, 4 cylinder so I don't plan to pull much, but in the event that its needed, is it safe to say pull someone out of the snow or something withe the stock front bumper?

I know the damn thing feels like solid steel, but that doesn't mean much. If it is rated enough for such use would it be safe for me to simply bolt tow hooks straight onto the bumper?

Thanks guys.

C.L. 09-09-2011 09:44 PM

It should have two hooks on top of the bumper for towing. If they are not there you can add your own, but be sure to bolt through the bumper to the frame behind it. Don't just loop a strap around the middle or drill and bolt the sheet steel.

sell33 09-09-2011 09:47 PM

The previous owner had fog lights on the bumper, but removed them. there are holes there for those, I thought about getting hooks and bolting them right there. so I take it thats not the way to go about it?

If I do any pulling at all with the front end it will more than likely only be pulling someone out that is stuck in snow.

doclouie 09-09-2011 09:53 PM

Add some tow hooks to the two large torx bolts on the top of the bumper. Most auto stores have them for like $10 a piece. Use grade 8 hardware too. The torx tie right down into the frame and then you could pull someone out. Do not try it anywhere else or you will mangle the bumper.

sell33 09-09-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 1556260)
Add some tow hooks to the two large torx bolts on the top of the bumper. Most auto stores have them for like $10 a piece. Use grade 8 hardware too. The torx tie right down into the frame and then you could pull someone out. Do not try it anywhere else or you will mangle the bumper.

I just looked a little closer and saw that. I will definitely be doing that...thanks for the help guys. I probably should have looked a little closer before asking and I would have answered my own question lol.

sell33 09-10-2011 03:30 PM

One more question....I was just at autozone and they only had one hook in stock, so i ordered another. It will be in this evening yet. If I mount them using the factory torx bolts they will probably be long enough to catch the threads on the frame, but I have a feeling they will not be strong enough without being bolted all the way flush as they are without the hooks. Should I try to find longer bolts or just use the factory length torx bolts?

Rubicon2 09-10-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sell33
One more question....I was just at autozone and they only had one hook in stock, so i ordered another. It will be in this evening yet. If I mount them using the factory torx bolts they will probably be long enough to catch the threads on the frame, but I have a feeling they will not be strong enough without being bolted all the way flush as they are without the hooks. Should I try to find longer bolts or just use the factory length torx bolts?

If your Jeep did not come with hooks you are going to need longer bolts. Personally I would not use anything less than Grade 8 bolts for the hooks. If you want to use factory type bolts you can get them from your local dealership or bolt supply company.

sell33 09-10-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon2 (Post 1557767)
If your Jeep did not come with hooks you are going to need longer bolts. Personally I would not use anything less than Grade 8 bolts for the hooks. If you want to use factory type bolts you can get them from your local dealership or bolt supply company.

Thanks for the quick response. I figured as much...I wouldn't trust those short bolts whether they reach the threads or not. I will check for some with the same thread at ace hardware tonight or tomorrow...hopefully they have some with a black finish.

P.S. I don't know that I have ever seen a jeep the same color green as yours in your avatar...looks very good I like it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.