Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 water drip on exhaust pipe (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-water-drip-on-exhaust-pipe-112143.html)

KINGOWOOD 09-10-2011 01:51 PM

2012 water drip on exhaust pipe

Ok, new guy here, I have a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited, 6 speed obviously new 3.6 Pentastar. If I go for a ride, say 15 miles and pull into my garage I have water dripping down the transmission near where the bellhousing would be onto the exhaust pipe that crosses under the trans. At first I was thinking it was the A/C but I'm pretty sure I didn't have the A/C on. I didn't trace it all the way back tot he source yet but figured I'd post it and see if anyone else is getting this drip. Hot exhaust and water drip makes for pretty good sizzle. Happened maybe 3 times so far. I only have 160 miles on it so far so I haven't learned the in/outs of this one.

Thanks

Mr-Ford-drives-a-Jeep 09-10-2011 01:57 PM

My 2010 and 2011 both do this with the ac condensation. Remember that most ac pumps run and pull moisture when on the non dash settings. It may not be cooling but is still trying to make dry air for the cabin.

KINGOWOOD 09-10-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr-Ford-drives-a-Jeep (Post 1557585)
My 2010 and 2011 both do this with the ac condensation. Remember that most ac pumps run and pull moisture when on the non dash settings. It may not be cooling but is still trying to make dry air for the cabin.

Are you saying the A/C compressor is working even when the air is turned off? I never seen one do that, usually you can tell by idle when the compressor is working. Why would the A/C be trying to work even if the roof was off or windows down?

I just found it an odd place to let the AC evaporation run out over the top of the transmission and right on the exhaust, it sounds like bacon on high for 3-4 minutes after driving. I'm sure the engineers must have heard it in testing.

oilwell1415 09-10-2011 07:31 PM

AC compressors run in most of the settings. They've done that with the AC or defrost on forever, but now they run a lot more to dry the air and to keep the AC oil circulated.

KINGOWOOD 09-10-2011 07:41 PM

I might have had defrost on, that's probably it. Thanks

oilwell1415 09-10-2011 08:09 PM

I have the defrost on in my truck a lot this time of year. My windshield will fog up in the morning without it, and then I usually forget to turn it off in the afternoon.

demarpaint 09-10-2011 08:29 PM

AC or defrost will do exactly what you're describing. Nothing to worry about.

Mr-Ford-drives-a-Jeep 09-10-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGOWOOD

Are you saying the A/C compressor is working even when the air is turned off? I never seen one do that, usually you can tell by idle when the compressor is working. Why would the A/C be trying to work even if the roof was off or windows down?

I just found it an odd place to let the AC evaporation run out over the top of the transmission and right on the exhaust, it sounds like bacon on high for 3-4 minutes after driving. I'm sure the engineers must have heard it in testing.

It won't engage or run when the fan is completely off. If the fan is running in a few different modes it engages the pump. It is a very odd spot indeed and gets me to think twice whenever I hear the sizzle.

off a cough 09-10-2011 09:40 PM

If you have the automatic temperature control option, you may have the A/C kick on without your knowledge. I caught the A/C kicking on because the 3rd knob on the right (air flow direction) was set to auto, despite the A/C button being off and the middle knob turned to off.

it_felt_so_good 06-27-2013 10:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So glad I found this thread. I just had a lift installed & when I got home I noticed the concrete under had a wet little circle. Thought oh great, put a bucket under there & it's just water. Been 70 - 80 degrees for the past two weeks here in Alaska & have had the A/C on full blast lately.

Attachment 266271

Attachment 266272