Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   New Jeep owner, starter problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/new-jeep-owner-starter-problem-112379.html)

mister811 09-11-2011 11:13 PM

New Jeep owner, starter problem

When i turn my key over, it starts the engine fine, but it keeps grinding like i am holding the key in the start position, and it won't stop until i turn the key back a little bit... is it sticking or what? Does anyone know how to help?

IDSKoT 09-11-2011 11:14 PM

Starter relay is getting stuck, probably. Swap out the relays and try again.

wolfpack72 09-11-2011 11:21 PM

Could be your Ignition Actuator Hanging up in the ignition switch. I'm having to replace mine it broke a piece off and wouldn't start the motor. might try spraying electronic cleaner in the key tumbler housing in case there's some dirt in it

IDSKoT 09-12-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpack72
Could be your Ignition Actuator Hanging up in the ignition switch. I'm having to replace mine it broke a piece off and wouldn't start the motor. might try spraying electronic cleaner in the key tumbler housing in case there's some dirt in it

If were talking about the same part, wouldn't the key not go back into "on" position versus ignition?

Tyewilly 09-12-2011 10:31 AM

I'd start by lubricating the lock cylinder.

wolfpack72 09-12-2011 12:08 PM

Mine went into the on position but would not turn it far enough to start. If that little piece of pot metal is broke it could be hanging up inside the column. I would try the lube spray first if it's like my jeep there's sand and dirt you wouldn't think sand and dirt could get in

IDSKoT 09-12-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpack72 (Post 1562935)
Mine went into the on position but would not turn it far enough to start. If that little piece of pot metal is broke it could be hanging up inside the column. I would try the lube spray first if it's like my jeep there's sand and dirt you wouldn't think sand and dirt could get in

Only if you're doing things right. :dance:

2xs 09-12-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister811 (Post 1561911)
...and it won't stop until i turn the key back a little bit.....

Your problem is simple, either your ignition switch, or the linkage in your steering column is binding, its supposed to spring back to the RUN position, your is getting stuck in the START position, if not completely, then partially, just enough to keep the ignition switch in the START position.

Nubby55 09-13-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xs (Post 1564848)
Your problem is simple, either your ignition switch, or the linkage in your steering column is binding, its supposed to spring back to the RUN position, your is getting stuck in the START position, if not completely, then partially, just enough to keep the ignition switch in the START position.

sounds right to me, I leave the key in 24/7 where i live. park on the shop patio, got two BIG dogs no problem!:surrender: