Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Marker light Turn signal modification (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/marker-light-turn-signal-modification-112417.html)

gluestick 09-12-2011 09:44 AM

Marker light Turn signal modification

I cut and paste this from another thread I posted this in that got a bit derailed and wanted to put it out there for those that have not heard of it:

Let me preface first by saying I cannot take credit for inventing this mod, I am only passing on what I learned. Also, I take no responsibility for your results, good or bad- perform this mod at your own risk. Read through the description several times carefully before performing. It literally only takes about 10 minutes, but you have to pay attention and splice the correct wires or it will not work. This mod will not work with aftermarket LED lights. Also, take a moment before you start to ensure both of your fender marker light bulbs are working, a lot of people drive around with burned out marker lights not knowing it. Also, if you are reading this in Europe or other parts of the globe, your Wrangler probably came from the factory like this, and you are all set.

It you have read this far into this thread, you probably aren’t cringing too much at the idea of putting sand paper to perfectly good clear coat so you can spray paint it with bed liner, so splicing a couple of wires shouldn’t be too scary. This is most easily done by first removing the grille. There are a few plastic screws that hold in onto the radiator housing on the top (be gentle if you use any tools, fingers are better because the break easy). Once these are out, gently pull- the bottom and sides are held onto the light housing and radiator housing by clips, which will release with gentle pulling pressure. Now turn the turn signal lamps ¼ turn to release them from the grille and set the grille aside.
You can start on either side, it does not matter. I did not disconnect the battery first, and had no problems. Look under your front fender and find the wires leading to your marker light. Gently squeeze the bulb socket and pull to release the socket from the fender flare (this will give you enough slack in the wiring to make this easier). Now look at the wiring to that light. There is a white and black wire. We are interested in the black wire. Follow the black wire back towards the engine compartment (it is wrapped in a cable shroud). You will find a plug where it goes into the engine compartment. You want to snip the black wire about an inch from this plug. If you have done this right, both the white and black wire will still be connected to the marker light, with only the white wire still connected to the Jeep’s electrical system. You will have about 12 inches of black wire coming off the marker light. It is important that you do not cut the wire at the end closer to the marker light, but rather the end closer to the engine compartment. We need to still complete a circuit with the light.

Now find the wiring coming off the turn signal. You will see three wires in this plug, one black and 2 white. We are interested in the white wire that is farthest from the black one (the wires are arranged in the signal socket as black/white/white). Again, follow this wire back into the cable shroud, separating it from the other white wire. If you accidentally use the middle white wire, this mod will not work. You now want to splice the black wire from the marker light with the outside white wire (farthest from the black wire) from the turn signal. There are all kinds of easy splicers available at most hardware or auto part stores, the blue color is for 16 gauge wire, which is what we want. Here is an example:

Dorman 85462 Blue 14-18 Gauge Weatherproof Wire Splice

Some folks go so far as to solder and heat shrink wrap their splice, I just used a splicer like above and wrapped the hell out of in electrical tape to keep it secure and dry.

Now it’s time for the moment of truth. If you did this correctly, when the headlights or running lights are off, your side marker light will now blink in unison with your turn signal. When your headlights or running lights are on, it will blink opposite your turn signal, in other words, when you are turning right, the signal will blink when the marker light is off and then the marker light blinks on when the turn signal is off. When there is no turn signal activated, the marker lights will perform as they used to previously, turning on steady when you have the running lights or headlights on.

On the first side I did, I did not compress the wire splicer hard enough and did not pierce the wire insulation. When you get the wires into the splicer, give the splicer a good squeeze with a pair of needle nose, you will hear a click noise as the splicer closes. If your connections are secure and you followed the directions above correctly, this will work. If you have a bulb burned out, the turn signal indicator on the display will blink super fast- this is your indication you have a bulb out.

After you have done both sides, the easiest test is to turn on your 4-ways with and without the headlights to ensure everything is working. If you are all set and your connections are taped/wrapped/secured, tuck the wires back into the cable shrouds and tuck everything back in. Twist the turn signal lights back into the grille, reattach the grille. Last, plug the marker light bulb socket back into your fender flares.

This is a pretty smart safety mod, as most vehicles on the road have “wrap around” turn signals that other drivers can see from both the side and the front. If you are driving down the road and someone is on your right or left and can’t see the front or rear of your Jeep, that means they cannot see your turn signal. With this mod your intentions are well broadcast to other motorists. As I mentioned earlier, prior to this mod I got a few looks when turning or changing lanes where it was obvious the other driver did not see any turn signal.

http://cdn.wranglerforum.com//images...ser_online.gif http://cdn.wranglerforum.com//images/buttons/report.gif http://cdn.wranglerforum.com//images/buttons/edit.gif

RB-10rubicon 09-12-2011 08:08 PM

I tried this mod last july and it didnt work for me .and i got the schematic off of daniel sterns sight .now im handy with electrical did it for six years .followed them to a tee ,had someone else look at it and agreed that i did it correctly but ni dice .so i just paralled the front turn signal to side marker and it works ..BUT no marker lights on flares .dont really care rather have a turn signal for people to left and right to see wich way im turning .god luck to any one else who trys it and gets it to work

sneck 09-12-2011 09:26 PM

has anyone gotten this to work? I want to do it this week because it seems easy, but im leery of cutting wires in the engine bay for no reason, hate to expose wire just to find out it didnt work

gluestick 09-13-2011 07:21 AM

I am sharing this from another JK forum, where many many have had no problems with making this work the first time. I would not have done it myself if I did not have faith in it. But to each his own. I'm not sure where RB-10 hit a snag, but I recommend googling the topic and you can read more on it elsewhere- I don't think it would be tasteful for me to put a link to the other forum from this one.

Arebee 09-13-2011 09:24 AM

I did this mod to my 2010 in the Spring. I was a little concerned that I would screw something up, but found it was pretty simple. Check out these before and after diagrams on this site that may help give you a better visual. It really helped me.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

gluestick 09-13-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arebee (Post 1565758)
I did this mod to my 2010 in the Spring. I was a little concerned that I would screw something up, but found it was pretty simple. Check out these before and after diagrams on this site that may help give you a better visual. It really helped me.

Thanks Arebee!

oilwell1415 09-13-2011 09:32 AM

I guess I really don't see the point in this mod. If there's someone beside you where they can see this you can't change lanes anyway because they're beside you. Most people aren't going to do anything to let you in if they're beside you, so having a signal there is useless.

sneck 09-13-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415 (Post 1565772)
I guess I really don't see the point in this mod. If there's someone beside you where they can see this you can't change lanes anyway because they're beside you. Most people aren't going to do anything to let you in if they're beside you, so having a signal there is useless.

I think in the city this is fantastic, it's much more useful for pedestrians and cyclists, and anything to increase visablity, even on something as large as a JKU, is great. And I don't know about where you live, but around me there are a lot of 2 lane intersections where you cant always tell if someone is going straight or turning, or especially people trying to lane change. I think theres a better argument for why it isnt already mandatory for vehicles, since theyre already required to have the lights to begin with. putting the light on, and wiring it to blink in the EU but disabling the blink in the US seems pretty dumb

oilwell1415 09-13-2011 11:05 AM

We have a lot of two lane intersections, I go through several every day going to and from work. I don't see any benefit there unless someone wants to be stupid and turn into the wrong lane, and if they're stupid an extra light won't fix it. Pedestrians have the right of way, so that's not really an issue and don't even get me started on the idiot cyclists that can't figure out that they are not pedestrians and are supposed to play by the same rules as cars.

I still see no point other than being able to say you did it by proudly proclaiming it as a mod on line three of your sig.

sneck 09-13-2011 11:14 AM

i should say, the 2 lanes near me are a headache of constant shifting of turning lanes only, some on the left and some on the right. means people who know the area naturally weave, but out of towners get confused. Mass roads; theyre out to kill you!

Not game changing for sure, it's probably along the same lines as flipping your mirror or not putting the torx screws back in on the door hinges, or adding a spring loaded hood lift. Not game changing, but nice changes that make you a bit happier with the day to day use of the jeep

HaulP 09-13-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415 (Post 1565772)

If they are next to you in your blind spot at least it gives them warning that you may be coming over whether they like it or not.

Here's what can happen without a "warning" signal: Family Guy - Asian Woman Driver - YouTube

oilwell1415 09-13-2011 11:20 AM

If they are in my blind spot the bright flashing of the rear turn signal should be quite visible to them.

gluestick 09-13-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneck (Post 1565991)
or not putting the torx screws back in on the door hinges,

What you talkin bout Willis? Is this a good idea?

And thanks oilwell, your opinion has been noted and is appreciated.

oilwell1415 09-13-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gluestick (Post 1566149)
And thanks oilwell, your opinion has been noted and is appreciated.

I feel so much better knowing that you appreciate me. :rolleyes:

gluestick 09-13-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415 (Post 1566309)
I feel so much better knowing that you appreciate me. :rolleyes:

Peace, brother!:wavey:

I'm just trying to share some knowledge, no need to hating!:surrender:

RB-10rubicon 09-13-2011 08:15 PM

I think the mod is awesome and it should come this way from the factory .the only thing that i can think of that didnt make it work is i did one side then tried it and nothing mabey i should of done both sides then tried it ..it doesnt really matter to me the way i have it set up works fine .and here in jersey they only check emissions now .no need to wory about a marker light not working

Up Hill Bill 09-13-2011 08:39 PM

What's a blind spot?

If you set your mirrors right, and almost nobody does, you won't have any blind spots. California Highway Patrol, AAA, others, used to recommend this method. I've always used it. It may take some getting used to, but it is superior, IMO.

How to Set Rearview Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots - wikiHow

On topic, I'm wanting to try this mod, but, to many mixed results. Different sites tell you to cut different wires, etc. Seems to be some model year differences?? I'd like to see a lighting circuit diagram and see where those wires originate. Might be a more direct way of doing this?

DANIMAL 09-13-2011 09:20 PM

I just did this tonight. At first I could not get it to work and I kept blowing fuses. Then after eating dinner and thinking more about it, I realized that I was connecting the black wire from the Jeep and not the black wire from the light. :facepalm:

After connecting the correct wire it worked perfectly.:dance:

rev2red 09-13-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill
What's a blind spot?

If you set your mirrors right, and almost nobody does, you won't have any blind spots. California Highway Patrol, AAA, others, used to recommend this method. I've always used it. It may take some getting used to, but it is superior, IMO.

On topic, I'm wanting to try this mod, but, to many mixed results. Different sites tell you to cut different wires, etc. Seems to be some model year differences?? I'd like to see a lighting circuit diagram and see where those wires originate. Might be a more direct way of doing this?

This is how my drivers Ed teacher instructed me 20+ years ago and works very well.

gluestick 09-14-2011 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1567377)
What's a blind spot? On topic, I'm wanting to try this mod, but, to many mixed results. Different sites tell you to cut different wires, etc. Seems to be some model year differences?? I'd like to see a lighting circuit diagram and see where those wires originate. Might be a more direct way of doing this?

Courtesy of Arebee:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arebee (Post 1565758)

The mod is the same, does not matter the year, make, or model of vehicle. The lights, like most anything that runs on electricity, follows a very simple circuit. You are simply choosing the ground for your marker light. So long as you always choose the outermost white wire, you are golden. As long as you follow the directions correctly and your connections are solid and complete (I made this mistake the first time), you will succeed. As mentioned already, be sure you cut the black wire from the marker light closer to the engine compartment. You are splicing the black wire from the marker light to the turn signal. Not from the battery to the turn signal. If you have done this right, both the white and black wire will still be connected to the marker light, with only the white wire still connected to the Jeep’s electrical system. You will have about 12 inches of black wire coming off the marker light to splice with.

sneck 09-14-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 1567377)
What's a blind spot?

Wow, I've been doing that since I got my learners permit, I didn't realize there was any other way to set the mirrors! I thought blind spots usually referred to people with awful rear pillars so that instead of windows, they were trying to look out portholes :p

RB-10rubicon 09-14-2011 03:49 PM

Im going to try it again tonight ,mabey i was overthinking this

gluestick 09-14-2011 03:50 PM

If you hit a snag, let me know, I will do my best to help you trouble shoot. My best advice is to go slow, even though it is easy, and ensure perfect connections.

Up Hill Bill 09-14-2011 04:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It works!

Took off the grill and checked out how the wiring looked for this mod. After a bunch more googling, I was confident this would work without fouling up anything else, and went for it.

Here's what the turn signal wire connector looks like before messing with it:

Attachment 68012

Its the outside, white/stripe wire that is to be spliced into. On the passenger side it is white/red, driver's side is white/gray.

I un-taped and opened the wire loom and spliced (soldered) an 8" section of wire (black) into the outside white wire, high enough that the joint would be inside the loom when closed, and taped the splice:

Attachment 68013 Attachment 68014

Pushed the wires, including new lead (black wire,) back into loom and re-taped the loom:

Attachment 68017

You're just going to have to take my word for it that this is an after photo. Neat, huh.

Continued in next post because of limit in photos/post.......

Up Hill Bill 09-14-2011 04:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Continued:

Here's the side marker connector. Note how close the wire loom to the front blinker/running light is:

Attachment 68020

The black wire to the connector is going to be cut about 1" from the connector (might need to reconnect some day - and it's just a ground wire so no need to tape off.) The single black wire running diagonally upward is the new lead that was spliced at the parking light connector and run up the loom.

Black lead to marker cut and soldered to the new lead from parking light connector:

Attachment 68021

I taped the joint and pulled the leads from the side marker back into their loom until the joint was hidden in the loom:

Attachment 68023

Repeat for other side.

Quick, safe, easy..... done! And no one is going to know anything was done from looking at the wiring. :thumb:

RB-10rubicon 09-14-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gluestick
If you hit a snag, let me know, I will do my best to help you trouble shoot. My best advice is to go slow, even though it is easy, and ensure perfect connections.

Thanks gonna do it right after dinner

RB-10rubicon 09-14-2011 06:46 PM

Ahhhhh .ok i got the black wire from the fender light tapped in to the white most outer wire ..both lights are on but no turn signal and the dash is blinking really fast...help

gluestick 09-14-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB-10rubicon (Post 1570340)
Ahhhhh .ok i got the black wire from the fender light tapped in to the white most outer wire ..both lights are on but no turn signal and the dash is blinking really fast...help

The fast blinking lights indicate you have a bulb out, most likely a fender marker bulb.

gluestick 09-14-2011 07:00 PM

Thanks for the pix, Bill. Just as a heads up, the color stripe on your outside white wire coming from your turn signal socket may vary from model year to model year. So long as you are sure to splice into the wire farthest from the black on both sides, you are golden.

Bill- your solder job looks a lot more pro than my set up, nice job.

RB-10rubicon 09-14-2011 07:03 PM

Ok finnally i got it i turned off everything even the key turned back on and WOW it f@#king works .