Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   430n/730n on a 2012 Rubi - What does it do other than nav? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/430n-730n-on-a-2012-rubi-what-does-it-do-other-than-nav-112534.html)

TheAxe 09-12-2011 08:28 PM

430n/730n on a 2012 Rubi - What does it do other than nav?
 
I currently have a 2012 Unlimited Rubi on order (still in D). I got just about every option except for nav. Frankly $700+ is a lot to spend for a GPS system (which requires software/map updates the old fashion way) when I can get a much better one in my phone or just use a dedicated unit.

But... what does it do other than nav? How does it interface with the connectivity group? Does it allow feature customization (such as disabling hill start assist, for example) which you can't do without it?

Bulldawgs 09-13-2011 12:40 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the 730n will allow you to input nav address while driving by voice where the 430 will not. now that we are all going hands free and if you live where I live, it is a $172 fine if you are caught inputing address on the move, new distracted driving law. @ $172 per ticket it does not take long to pay off this feature.

Nadurra 09-13-2011 12:48 AM

I'll have to look. I got the 730 in my Rubicon. Personally I didn't want to tool around sticking a GPS unit to the dash with a suction cup or looking at my phone while driving---been there done that too many times over the years and wanted a good system. The 730 has been the best Nav system that I have used...period. I really like it. The DVD based system in my AMG Mercedes was horrible. The 730 is integrated with the satellite radio, voice system, etc. You disable hill assist through the main onboard dash system...it's not done on the nav as far as I know.

http://home.comcast.net/~zombiehunte..._INTERIOR1.jpg

LBrito 09-13-2011 01:10 PM

I have the 730N and the EVIC, and noticed what I think is one of the coolest integrations in any vehicle. When I am navigating somewhere, the EVIC will display all upcoming instructions with a picture and everything, e.g. "in 0.3 miles, turn left.." and shows the arrow and such. It's really nice when you are depending on voice instructions because you want to show your album art on the Nav while playing music and navigating. Sometimes, you just don't catch the instruction it gave, and if this feature wasn't there, you would have to hit the Map button on the Nav to see what the next move is. Since the EVIC displays it, this problem is no longer a problem! Pretty sweet!

oilwell1415 09-13-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldawgs (Post 1565298)
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the 730n will allow you to input nav address while driving by voice where the 430 will not. now that we are all going hands free and if you live where I live, it is a $172 fine if you are caught inputing address on the move, new distracted driving law. @ $172 per ticket it does not take long to pay off this feature.

Ouch/not ouch at the same time. Our penalties are higher, but you can't be cited for it unless you are in an accident so your chances of getting nailed are less.

Mastersonics 09-13-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadurra (Post 1565315)
I'll have to look. I got the 730 in my Rubicon. Personally I didn't want to tool around sticking a GPS unit to the dash with a suction cup or looking at my phone while driving---been there done that too many times over the years and wanted a good system. The 730 has been the best Nav system that I have used...period. I really like it. The DVD based system in my AMG Mercedes was horrible. The 730 is integrated with the satellite radio, voice system, etc. You disable hill assist through the main onboard dash system...it's not done on the nav as far as I know.

http://home.comcast.net/~zombiehunte..._INTERIOR1.jpg

Exactly why I ordered the 730n

cheers,
Charles

TheAxe 09-13-2011 08:12 PM

Thanks for the input.

Sounds like the 730n is a decent nav system... but I already have all of these features on my Android phone and on a dedicated Garmin which I already own.

So, does either system offer anything non-navigation related?

isitme 09-13-2011 08:39 PM

sirius traffic

TheAxe 09-13-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isitme
sirius traffic

Or non traffic-related?

Smshly616 09-13-2011 09:18 PM

I love mine so far! (had it a day) the coolest thing that I have found besides nav and music is the Sirius travel link gas prices, it tells you all the gas prices around town so you can stop by the one with the best price. Also does movie times, etc.

TheAxe 09-13-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smshly616
I love mine so far! (had it a day) the coolest thing that I have found besides nav and music is the Sirius travel link gas prices, it tells you all the gas prices around town so you can stop by the one with the best price. Also does movie times, etc.

Interesting for a built in nav unit, but we can do all of those things with smartphones.

I'm not seeing how these units are worth over $200 if you already have these features.

tomthbomb 09-13-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAxe (Post 1567789)
Interesting for a built in nav unit, but we can do all of those things with smartphones.

I'm not seeing how these units are worth over $200 if you already have these features.

Have a Droid 2 Global and an iPad2. Still getting one.

Smshly616 09-13-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAxe (Post 1567789)
Interesting for a built in nav unit, but we can do all of those things with smartphones.

I'm not seeing how these units are worth over $200 if you already have these features.

I agree my phone does all these things. But I like to see everything on a bigger screen. I have the iPad2 as well. It's nice to have it all integrated and not be using multiple devices while driving. I didn't want the nav(just one more thing to break) and my husband talked me into it. I am glad he did, I love it!

strider_mt2k 09-14-2011 03:48 AM

I love the 730n system in my Jeep.
-The LAST thing I need to be doing is fiddling with my phone or my tablet while trying to drive a motor vehicle.

I need those hands free to eat with.

SnoBear 09-14-2011 08:23 AM

Does anyone know the cost and process to update the map data?

ranjr 09-14-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoBear
Does anyone know the cost and process to update the map data?

Navteq disk which can be ordered from their site. $200

JeeperJake 09-14-2011 09:25 AM

"I need those hands free to eat with. ":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OlllllO 09-14-2011 10:00 AM

The live traffic updates on the screen is priceless. The only thing I use my iphone for is streaming my music library via bluetooth ;)

2011_Rubicon 09-14-2011 01:20 PM

Is the live traffic only on the 730? I have the 430 and don't think it has this feature. Other than nav I use mine to keep up with sports teams while on the road. You can program your fav teams and it will pop up on the screen when your fav team games score. Also I like the hard drive on it and dvd player.

Bulldawgs 09-14-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 1567804)
Have a Droid 2 Global and an iPad2. Still getting one.

Agree, I have the ipad 2, smartphone and it is nice to crawl in, push the nav button and go. Dont need to worry about where to put the phone...ect the larger screen, well nuf said.

Bulldawgs 09-14-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeperJake (Post 1569087)
"I need those hands free to eat with. ":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:


mmmmmmmmm......doughnuts.....lol

Smshly616 09-14-2011 11:34 PM

We totally sat in the driveway and played a concert (Tom petty) DVD tonight. :) We were impressed with the quality.....guess we are gonna need the lock pick for road trips!

Bulldawgs 09-15-2011 09:31 PM

Yes I agree, lockpic may be the next order of buisiness.

2011_Rubicon 09-16-2011 10:37 AM

I agree! Im ordering mine this weekend. I guess its just ignorance on my behalf, also a better marketing strategy from car companies, but I had no idea the dvd player wouldn't play while driving. This was the main reason I purchased the 430. My 2 year old and long trips don't go together.

C2U5H 09-16-2011 11:26 AM

Have there been any actual Lockpick systems installed on a 2012 430n/730n yet? Haven't done a whole bunch of research on the matter, but for some reason I remember the newest iterations not working correctly with the system.

FlyinJeeps 09-16-2011 11:37 AM

the 430N is a great system too, I honestly perfer Garmin anyways. It still speaks directions, you just can't speak back :) i have the 430N and evic, like the other person said, it also displays instructions on the evic display by the steering wheel.

also I don't know if the 430n supports traffic updates from sirius? The traffic updates don't work in Canada anyways though so that didn't make a difference to me, but it might be something to check on..

C2U5H 09-16-2011 11:39 AM

I feel really stupid asking this, but what's EVIC? I have the 430n with Connectivity on order ... does that mean I'll have this mysterious magic as well?

FlyinJeeps 09-16-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C4U5H (Post 1575761)
I feel really stupid asking this, but what's EVIC? I have the 430n with Connectivity on order ... does that mean I'll have this mysterious magic as well?

It comes with the connectivity package so you should have it. Here's a link explaining it:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...6&d=1313437333

DenJeep 09-16-2011 12:23 PM

For many it's all about the price point. It's expensive, but if you can afford.....I would suggest purchasing the 730n. I've had it for a week and continue to be amazed by its capabilities. It you are "on the edge" about spending the extra money on its features....I would say "its worth the risk of putting yourself in an uncomfortable financial position." It you can't afford it and it's not an option for you.....life will still be good and you are driving a vehicle that is a great pleasure. When I first brought the Jeep home I stayed in the garage until late at night (hear crickets) and couldn't get enough of it. I'm not a technical guy by any stretch of the imagination, but still learned a lot in one looney dark night while coyotes roamed outside the door looking for stray cats....which they have totally depleted. The navigation system it nice and even though I have a Garmin in my other vehicle, it's nice hearing a different voice for once (even though it's silly to suggest a different voice will make a difference in anybodies decision).

C2U5H 09-16-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinJeeps (Post 1575849)
It comes with the connectivity package so you should have it. Here's a link explaining it:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...6&d=1313437333

Wow, thank you, FlyinJeeps. Is there an area on the forum where I can get the whole manual for the 2012 in PDF like that section? I did a search a little while ago, but all of them were for the 2011 (which I'm sure carries over quite seamlessly, but discrepancies could be present).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.