Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Steering Stabilizer (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/steering-stabilizer-112634.html)

sgtbaker 09-13-2011 01:38 PM

Steering Stabilizer

I bought an 08 Jeep wrangler back in July and it came with a 6 inch lift. The car wobbled a little bit between 45 and 55 mph. I had the tires mounted and balanced and had them do an alignment. The wobbling seemed to stop for a short time. It started to come back, intermittenly and then, last Friday I experienced a death wobble. I took it to another place and this guy has experience installing lifts. He rechecked the tires and alignment, he checked the drive train, the bearings, control arm, track bar, ball joint, retorqued, and can't seem to find a problem. The only thing he keeps saying is he can't see why someone would install a 6" lift with no steering stabilizer. Everything I am reading insists that a steering stabilizer would only mask the problem. If your steering stabilizer is loose, it might cause a DW but an absence of one, will not. He's worked on other cars for me and he's never done me wrong, I just don't know enough about this to argue with him. I just don't want to put the stabilizer on and end up masking the real problem. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

JIMBOX 09-13-2011 01:49 PM

:whistling: If you've gotta solid axle front end/lift/big tires--you NEED a STABILIZER-

It's nothing more than a shock--and will reduce steering damage from ruts/bumps/rocks/volkswagons--also protect your thumbs !

The death wobble is caused by many other things and the stabilizer will "mask" them, but you still need the "stabilizer", your buddy is right-

Check ball joints and tie rod ends for WAY too much play--

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

sgtbaker 09-13-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1566473)
:whistling: If you've gotta solid axle front end/lift/big tires--you NEED a STABILIZER-

It's nothing more than a shock--and will reduce steering damage from ruts/bumps/rocks/volkswagons--also protect your thumbs !

The death wobble is caused by many other things and the stabilizer will "mask" them, but you still need the "stabilizer", your buddy is right-

Check ball joints and tie rod ends for WAY too much play--

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Thanks Jimbo, I know he checked the ball joints but can't say 100% if he said he checked the tie rod ends. I am putting the steering stabilizer in, I am just worried that there is still going to be a problem but I won't know about it because the problem will be masked.

oilwell1415 09-13-2011 02:50 PM

Any mechanic that would do an alignment without checking out all of the wear items in the front end first doesn't deserve your business. That is just plain lazy. If he checked the ball joints it takes about 30 seconds longer to check the tierods, so he probably did it.

Rogerg 09-13-2011 04:34 PM

Well the only thing i could think of is to check the control arm bushings since your mechanic already checked everything up front..i didnt see if he checked the draglink tho.

Also since you already had death wobble,check your track bar mount on the axle side if there are any cracks.Mine shook so violently that it cracked it.

Also take the trackbar off and see if the holes for the mounting bolt is not ovaled out.

sgtbaker 09-13-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg (Post 1566917)
Well the only thing i could think of is to check the control arm bushings since your mechanic already checked everything up front..i didnt see if he checked the draglink tho.

Also since you already had death wobble,check your track bar mount on the axle side if there are any cracks.Mine shook so violently that it cracked it.

Also take the trackbar off and see if the holes for the mounting bolt is not ovaled out.

He said he checked the control arm, I just assumed he meant to bushings. The draglink, I can say with certainty never came up so I will ask him about that.

I just have one more question. He told me to call a jeep dealership for the stabilizer. I refuse to do any more dealings with the dealership near me and the one I actually bought the jeep from is an hour away. Is there any recommendations on brand or where I should get the stabilizer. Thanks again for all the input.

SeaComms 09-14-2011 07:17 AM

Any good quality steering stabiliser is better than none.

Did he tell you what the caster setting is at? With a 6in lift you would be pushing the limits of pinion angles to get anywhere near enough caster to stop it wobbling.