Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Star Fab Smart Door Stops (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/star-fab-smart-door-stops-112760.html)

Blstravler 09-14-2011 09:14 AM

Star Fab Smart Door Stops
 
Has anyone installed these as of yet?

JKFD - Star Fab Smart Door Stops for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK Front - Quadratec

Have to have some surgery on my right arm and I'll be in a cst/sling for a few months after. Thinking these will be a huge help getting in and out of the Jeep every day. I've looked into the Billet ones but they getting crap reviews.

Arpd3 09-14-2011 11:13 AM

The best thing for you with your arm in a sling is no doors at all :)

Blstravler 09-14-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arpd3 (Post 1569327)
The best thing for you with your arm in a sling is no doors at all :)


That would work until about mid December, probably just need a bigger jacket after then :)

JIMBOX 09-14-2011 11:28 AM

:whistling: Those are pretty neat, but

I've got the Armadillo Billet door stops-

Quickly adjustable and disconnected !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Blstravler 09-14-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1569361)
:whistling: Those are pretty neat, but

I've got the Armadillo Billet door stops-

Quickly adjustable and disconnected !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

I tried them and thought they sucked..... :thumb:

Benjy 11-12-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blstravler (Post 1569430)
I tried them and thought they sucked..... :thumb:

What sucked about yours? I just installed mine and they definitely don't allow you to open the door as much as with the straps. I'm disappointed about that and I'll let quadratec know. I've got a 2011 and it might be different from others.

kjeeper10 11-12-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blstravler

That would work until about mid December, probably just need a bigger jacket after then :)

Lol. Gotta luv it

JIMBOX 11-12-2011 06:22 PM

:whistling: Might be different, I can open my doors 25" with mine and I don't normally have to go any wider--

If I have to, just flip the keeper snap and open as wide as the strap will let you !!

I said the Star Fabs look pretty kewl, but my Armidillos are OK !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Dogface 11-12-2011 08:47 PM

The A/dillos are OK but don't let the door open far enough. They are much less expensive and easy to install. Personally I would never use the others cuz they require too much destructive install work...

JIMBOX 11-12-2011 08:58 PM

:D Heh Heh, thats true and it takes about 10 seconds to disco the "sliding rod for full door opening-


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface (Post 1740566)
The A/dillos are OK but don't let the door open far enough. They are much less expensive and easy to install. Personally I would never use the others cuz they require too much destructive install work...

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Dogface 11-12-2011 09:48 PM

Guess I haven't figgered that out yet ...:confused:

kbwwolf 11-12-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1740587)
:D Heh Heh, thats true and it takes about 10 seconds to disco the "sliding rod for full door opening-
JIMBO

Jimbo: How do they disco? I bought a set of these, but didn't install them because of the same concerns some other folks have pointed out...didn't feel like I could open the doors far enough to justify putting them on...and I've got body armor doors for the summer and would like to be able to switch them out with the OE doors fairly painlessly. Looked to me like I'd have to unscrew things to change the doors out.

Also, I definitely don't wanna drill the tunnels for the Star Fabs in my doors, just for door stops. Rather let my doors swing wild, if that's the way it's gotta be.

The armadillos are easy enough to install, but the "directions" suck and don't really explain how to disconnect them. What am I missing?

Attachment 77303

rics1997 11-12-2011 10:49 PM

How hard would it be to know out that pin on the swivel side? I ask because a quick release pin would make for a easy disco. Maybe something like this

http://hfi-assets.kdsi.net/product_i...res/900-37.jpg

kbwwolf 11-12-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 1740782)
How hard would it be to know out that pin on the swivel side? I ask because a quick release pin would make for a easy disco. Maybe something like this

http://hfi-assets.kdsi.net/product_i...res/900-37.jpg


:facepalm:

You know what, man? You just answered my question. You can't see it in my original photo, but the stock pin has a 3/16 (prob metric, since it's a little loose) hex head, and is easily removable. Never noticed it before now.

Damn, I'd put these bad boys on the shelf cuz I couldn't figure out how to remove them w/out unscrewing the mounts from either the door or the foot well.

Feelin pretty retarded at this point, but a GOOD retarded. :D

Thanks.

Here's a pic to satisfy your curiosity:

Attachment 77323

SeaComms 11-13-2011 02:31 AM

I like the Starfab ones and they are on my to-do list, have been looking at them for a while. They have a detent to stop the door halfway and also allow the doors to open further than stock (stock strap is extended by about an inch to cope) and they are easily disconnected to if door removal is desired (irrelevant to us down here as we cant legally remove the doors anyways).

Agreed install is a little more involved but I think well worth it.

kbwwolf 11-13-2011 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaComms (Post 1740957)
I like the Starfab ones and they are on my to-do list, have been looking at them for a while. They have a detent to stop the door halfway and also allow the doors to open further than stock (stock strap is extended by about an inch to cope) and they are easily disconnected to if door removal is desired (irrelevant to us down here as we cant legally remove the doors anyways).
Agreed install is a little more involved but I think well worth it.

I actually like the Starfab capabilities more than the Armadillos, except for three factors:

1. I don't wanna drill koala-sized holes (okay, that's an unfair cultural exaggeration) in my doors.

2. I don't have an engineering degree from Cornell. Just from reading the directions, the Starfabs seem very unforgiving in terms of installation...whereas the Armadillos are basically plug 'n play, no tunneling.

3. (most important): I have a set of the armadillos, but didn't wanna use em cuz I thought they couldn't be easily disco'd...till Rick schooled my dumba$$.

EDIT: why can't you take the doors off? If there was ever a country for doorlessness, it'd be Australia. In my mind, anyway. Other than Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth...crap, guess I'm pretty much eating my foot, eh mate? :D

Benjy 11-13-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1740246)
:whistling: Might be different, I can open my doors 25" with mine and I don't normally have to go any wider--

If I have to, just flip the keeper snap and open as wide as the strap will let you !!

I said the Star Fabs look pretty kewl, but my Armidillos are OK !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

I can still squeeze through there, my issue is that I've been opening the door a certain width since January, now 11 months later I'm restricted from opening quite as wide. If I crack my funny bone more than a few times, I'll be putting these up for sale. If they were installed new, I wouldn't be concerned. Wish the connecting rod were just a 1/2" longer or so. Maybe they could make it adjustable!

SeaComms 11-14-2011 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 1740965)
EDIT: why can't you take the doors off? If there was ever a country for doorlessness, it'd be Australia. In my mind, anyway. Other than Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth...crap, guess I'm pretty much eating my foot, eh mate? :D

Cause the stupid pen pushing rule makers down here will not recognise that the doors were designed to be removed and offer no protection. All the rules down here state they must have side protection, yet the JK doors offer none. You get both a fine and a defective vehicle notice in the one hit. And since the vehicle is deemed not roadworthy it can not be driven from where you get booked until the doors are re fitted and then the vehicle has to be taken to an inspection station where they go over everything...

Have been quite a few test the rules and although one has succeeded that was only because the amount of info and regulations he threw at the court in his defence was basically too much for the judge to bother reading through and let him off. And that was down south in Victoria, in Queensland where I am no one has beat the charge yet.

kbwwolf 11-14-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaComms (Post 1743122)
Cause the stupid pen pushing rule makers down here will not recognise that the doors were designed to be removed and offer no protection. All the rules down here state they must have side protection, yet the JK doors offer none. You get both a fine and a defective vehicle notice in the one hit. And since the vehicle is deemed not roadworthy it can not be driven from where you get booked until the doors are re fitted and then the vehicle has to be taken to an inspection station where they go over everything...

Have been quite a few test the rules and although one has succeeded that was only because the amount of info and regulations he threw at the court in his defence was basically too much for the judge to bother reading through and let him off. And that was down south in Victoria, in Queensland where I am no one has beat the charge yet.

Well that sucks. if ever there was a country that I thought Jeeps should be doorless in, would've been Australia.

Sounds like you guys need to kick a little legislative ass. :thumb:

bo9roadking 11-14-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blstravler (Post 1569056)
Has anyone installed these as of yet?

JKFD - Star Fab Smart Door Stops for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK Front - Quadratec

Have to have some surgery on my right arm and I'll be in a cst/sling for a few months after. Thinking these will be a huge help getting in and out of the Jeep every day. I've looked into the Billet ones but they getting crap reviews.

I have had these installed on my JKU front and back for about 2 months. They are great and now work like my car's doors. If you want to remove a door, it only takes removing two 10mm nuts on the body side of the bracket in addition to the normal door removal process.

You need to be careful that you don't mix up the left and right side brackets when installing them. They look the same except for having a small 'R' or 'L' stamped on them. If you install the wrong one, the door won't open correctly and you might damage the bracket while opening the door.

Other than being hesitant to drill holes into my new Jeep as part of the install, everything installed fairly easily. Now that I broke the ice with drilling into my Jeep, using my cutting and grinding wheels, sawzall, and getting some welding done to make other Jeep mods was easy. :rofl:

SlackerMD 11-15-2011 11:22 AM

Agreed...i installed my Smart Doors about a month ago and they have been great. My first door took about 30 minutes going very slowly...the subsequent doors each took about 10 minutes including cleanup. The templates they provide for marking the drilling points are spot-on so i had ZERO issues with the install.

As mentioned above, you just have to make sure to put the rear assemblies on the rear and the front assemblies on the front and on the proper side of the vehicle...it's not rocket science.

As far as removing the doors...it takes a whopping 30 seconds per door maximum.

These things are SUPERB quality, and the company owners are EXTREMELY supportive and communicative, which is something you can't beat.

Hatt-Attack 04-02-2012 08:18 AM

Anyone have feedback on how to the Star Fab Smart Door Stops work when parked on say a 20 degree incline? My driveway is on a hill and how that the jeep is lifted it's harder than ever for kids to get in without doors wanting to eat them. I tried Armadillo and agree with most that they suck, did practically nothing when parked on driveway and looked like some kind of orthodontist appliance to boot. They were quickly returned, but since this install involves permanent modification though prudent to ask.

bo9roadking 04-02-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatt-Attack (Post 2209989)
Anyone have feedback on how to the Star Fab Smart Door Stops work when parked on say a 20 degree incline? My driveway is on a hill and how that the jeep is lifted it's harder than ever for kids to get in without doors wanting to eat them. I tried Armadillo and agree with most that they suck, did practically nothing when parked on driveway and looked like some kind of orthodontist appliance to boot. They were quickly returned, but since this install involves permanent modification though prudent to ask.

As I posted in this thread last November, I have the Smart Door Stops. They work at holding open my JKU doors just like a normal car. I don't have any complaints.

Hatt-Attack 04-02-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bo9roadking (Post 2210336)
As I posted in this thread last November, I have the Smart Door Stops. They work at holding open my JKU doors just like a normal car. I don't have any complaints.


Yes, but the plot has thickened since November wisdom imparted - No mention how they worked when parked on a (20 degree) hill. The Armadillo’s work great on flat service, but huge disappointment on a hill where my other 2 cars have no problem with their stock door stops. I would think most people considering adding these items probably in a situation like mine - regularly parked on a hill.

JIMBOX 04-02-2012 01:02 PM

:whistling: To bad more of you weren't a little more inovative--

My ARMADILLOs, work fine 90% of the time and when the "HILL DEMANDS" more closure resistance--

I've modified mine so they will take 30° +++ and stay open--takes maqybe 5 sec to add the plastic "keeper"--

Course I usually modify all my modifications anyway-kinda routine !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Hatt-Attack 04-02-2012 02:06 PM

You should not have to mod a mod whose sole purpose is to keep your door open. If it were prettier maybe worth considering - but when function fails out of the box why bother unless you really have to have it that bad. Figured sooner or later somebody would design one that works as it should and hopefully Star Fab is it.

JIMBOX 04-02-2012 03:09 PM

:whistling: heh Heh, YUP. why buy an air tire, when it might go flat-


QUOTE=Hatt-Attack;2211039]You should not have to mod a mod whose sole purpose is to keep your door open. If it were prettier maybe worth considering - but when function fails out of the box why bother unless you really have to have it that bad. Figured sooner or later somebody would design one that works as it should and hopefully Star Fab is it. [/QUOTE]

You're saying it's better to buy something and bitch aboutit--rather than fixit !

You must have a ball off-road !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Hatt-Attack 04-02-2012 03:52 PM

You know me better then I know myself with those 9000+ expurt post I guess.

So anyway, anyone who has, or knows somebody, with a Star Fab who has parked it on a fairly steep hill know if it actually holds the door open, straight out of the box?

Hatt-Attack 04-02-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX
:whistling: heh Heh, YUP. why buy an air tire, when it might go flat-

QUOTE=Hatt-Attack;2211039]You should not have to mod a mod whose sole purpose is to keep your door open. If it were prettier maybe worth considering - but when function fails out of the box why bother unless you really have to have it that bad. Figured sooner or later somebody would design one that works as it should and hopefully Star Fab is it.

You're saying it's better to buy something and bitch aboutit--rather than fixit !

You must have a ball off-road !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO[/QUOTE]

Aha - a misunderstanding now that I read it again. I returned the armadillo product to quadratec for full refund after I installed first one and found it didn't work. Guess this bit of info was important regarding my original question.

Hatt-Attack 04-02-2012 04:30 PM

Even better, I did mention that I returned them in my original post. Classic.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.