Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Freedom Top partially on with doors off (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/freedom-top-partially-on-with-doors-off-112791.html)

BManz 09-14-2011 12:31 PM

Freedom Top partially on with doors off

I'm not yet a JK owner, but am assessing how I can utilize it for my work which often times involves driving along the edge of roads (ditches, low shoulders, etc.). On a 2-door JK, can it be driven (highway speeds) with doors removed and the front two pieces of the Freedom Top removed, keeping the big "shell" piece in place? Has anyone done this?

Alternatively, has anyone run with the only the doors off (2dr JK) and the whole Freedom Top left in place? Any issues?

The reason I ask is that for the "off road" times portion of my work I currently get in and out of my vehicle dozens of times and the door-opening/closing gets old fast. The idea of running without doors for those days I need to do that type of work has me looking seriously at buying a JK. The hard top Freedom Top would be a necessity as the next day after being "doors off" I might have to deliver something needing protection from the elements as well as better theft security than what a soft top could provide. Thanks for any feedback you folks can provide.

gluestick 09-14-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BManz (Post 1569494)
On a 2-door JK, can it be driven (highway speeds) with doors removed and the front two pieces of the Freedom Top removed, keeping the big "shell" piece in place? Has anyone done this?

Alternatively, has anyone run with the only the doors off (2dr JK) and the whole Freedom Top left in place? Any issues?

Yes and yes, no problem here. If you think having the both windows rolled down on a normal vehicle on a cool morning is "refreshing" wait to you roll with the doors off! It helps me to save money on coffee.

BManz 09-14-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gluestick (Post 1569542)
If you think having the both windows rolled down on a normal vehicle on a cool morning is "refreshing" wait to you roll with the doors off! It helps me to save money on coffee.

Thanks! I ride a Harley too, so I understand about saving money on coffee on those kinds of mornings.:thumb:

MrSig 09-14-2011 01:19 PM

Yes you can with no problems!

desertgoose 09-14-2011 01:30 PM

I bet you will lose some gas mileage with the back half only at highway speeds. I've been tracking my mpg's for a while now and noticed 1.5 mpg less with only the freedom tops off for a week. I gained .5 last week over normal with top and doors off.

gluestick 09-14-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BManz (Post 1569551)
Thanks! I ride a Harley too, so I understand about saving money on coffee on those kinds of mornings.:thumb:

This is good too. Grab a spare long stem left side mirror and stick it in your top door hinge (when the door is removed of course) and you are ready to roll. I don't think it's law here in CT, but it is scary driving on the highway, or even two lane, without a view to your back driver side. It seems pretty natural to check to the passenger side without the mirror, but my first go on the highway without the driver side rearview had me stopping at the local Harley dealer on the way home.

Doors off also makes it really easy to tidy up the cabin and clear out any dirt/dust with your leaf blower. I'm not joking, I have a pretty diesel backpack blower and I hit mine up whenever the pollen or dust get noticeable on the flat surfaces. 20 seconds later- clean as a whistle!:punk:

luvjeepin 09-14-2011 06:03 PM

They also make extra mirrors that bolt right up by the hood and windshield for when yoy have your doors removed.

tomthbomb 09-14-2011 06:15 PM

I have experience some "buffeting" when driving like you described. I found that leaving the back hatch glass open minimizes it (lets the air flow through the cab). Would not want to do that at highway speeds though.