Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Alarm (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/alarm-11291.html)

debruins 09-09-2007 12:00 PM

Alarm

hello, im lookign into a motion sensing alarm, since i may have only a soft top, i was wondering waht your experiences were and where you got them form and for how much?

thanx

hardy1531 09-09-2007 01:06 PM

I had a Viper Alarm, with a prox sensor. The Proximity sensor detects movement and it is adjustable. They problem i had was it going off when ever it stormed. If I had the top down and the leaves or tree limbs would sway it would go off. I bought it from Circuit City a cpl of years ago. I used to work there so i got the discount. But I wanna say it was around $300. The alarm itself was top of the line. You can add the Prox sensor to most alarms. Hope this helps
Hardy

Levinoss 09-09-2007 02:43 PM

Dont get one, keep nothing on the inside and your golden.

Waste of money tbh.

~Lev

skeeter 09-09-2007 02:56 PM

I'm interested as well, somebody tried to get my stereo out the other day.
Idiots were leaning against a couple hundred bucks worth of CB and linear trying to get a $20 yard sale stereo.

Levinoss 09-09-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 133742)
I'm interested as well, somebody tried to get my stereo out the other day.
Idiots were leaning against a couple hundred bucks worth of CB and linear trying to get a $20 yard sale stereo.

lol

~Lev

debruins 09-09-2007 07:02 PM

yeah the jeep has a sub two extra speakers, tow amps, a flip down headunit, and i may keep my lacrosse stuff in it during school in the spring idk yet

how these two things look?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-O2mJfk4...1&I=514CG533I4
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fpHwfzD...805&I=514AU94T

btw it has a lowjack on it, but the alarm part doesnt work, and its not a motion sensing alarm anyway

naterg 09-09-2007 08:42 PM

IMO, alarms are a wast of money. Never have had anything taken from my Jeep, and I leave the top down all the time. Even tho I usually don't have anything worth taking, I have left my computer in it over night with the top down and nothing has happened.

skeeter 09-10-2007 12:30 AM

Have much crime in harvest Alabama?

My hard top was stolen this spring, the Heep sat in the drive way all summer with no top on it and nothing was messed with. I put a new soft top on and within a week somebody got in and tried to steal my radio right in front of the house.

If I could get away with claymores I would.

naterg 09-10-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 133971)
Have much crime in harvest Alabama?

My hard top was stolen this spring, the Heep sat in the drive way all summer with no top on it and nothing was messed with. I put a new soft top on and within a week somebody got in and tried to steal my radio right in front of the house.

If I could get away with claymores I would.

True. Ain't much crime anywhere around here. Cept when our house was robbed, but that was an inside job. Anyway. Like I said, I really don't leave anything worth anything in the jeep, and I always park where it is well lit and as close to wherever I am going as possible.

Walkeraviator 09-10-2007 03:49 PM

The key is that people take what they can get easy. If they cant see it, they wont go lookin for it. I keep everything of value under the back seat of my wrangler.

steveshra 09-10-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator (Post 134145)
The key is that people take what they can get easy. If they cant see it, they wont go lookin for it. I keep everything of value under the back seat of my wrangler.

Just out of curiosity.... where do you park your Jeep when you leave valuable items under the seat? Location, description and license plate number should be good enough.......Not that I'm planning on stopping by or anything..... :rofl:

debruins 09-10-2007 07:07 PM

yeah but the subs, speakers and headunit cannot be hidden under the seat!

i understand everyhting else ill keep in the tuffy console, but this stuff as wel as my lax stuff will be in plain sight

naterg 09-10-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 134242)
yeah but the subs, speakers and headunit cannot be hidden under the seat!

i understand everyhting else ill keep in the tuffy console, but this stuff as wel as my lax stuff will be in plain sight

CD player, speakers, and subs are tough to take. I had a nice sub, amp, and 300 dollar cd player, and with the backseat out, they were very visible. Never had a problem. IMO, save your money. An alarm isnt going to stop them from taking what they want.

debruins 09-10-2007 09:42 PM

thats true enough, well i dont have much moeny to spend anyways, and it has the lowjack on the doors, but all that does is shut the ignition off when the doors are opened, so it doesnt do anything about stealing things in the jeep, just the jeep itself

foxinthemudd 09-11-2007 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 134330)
thats true enough, well i dont have much moeny to spend anyways, and it has the lowjack on the doors, but all that does is shut the ignition off when the doors are opened, so it doesnt do anything about stealing things in the jeep, just the jeep itself

buy a gun, its cheaper than any of the alarms your lookin at. we (my buddy and I) had someone trying to get his stereo out of his bronco (no top on it) and we walked out when the guy was in it prying on the stereo with a knife. needless to say the idiot got out, pointed the knife at me and said "you want some." I pulled my glock and asked him if he did, the guy dropped the knife and I threw his ass on the ground handcuffed him and waited for the working men and women of the PD.

Levinoss 09-11-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxinthemudd (Post 134491)
buy a gun, its cheaper than any of the alarms your lookin at. we (my buddy and I) had someone trying to get his stereo out of his bronco (no top on it) and we walked out when the guy was in it prying on the stereo with a knife. needless to say the idiot got out, pointed the knife at me and said "you want some." I pulled my glock and asked him if he did, the guy dropped the knife and I threw his ass on the ground handcuffed him and waited for the working men and women of the PD.

I dont even wana know why you had hand cuffs on your self? Fuzzy?

~Lev

foxinthemudd 09-11-2007 03:28 AM

no those are under the bed :flipoff:. I'm a sheriffs deputy, so I carry off duty.:D one of the perks of the job

Levinoss 09-11-2007 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxinthemudd (Post 134494)
no those are under the bed :flipoff:. I'm a sheriffs deputy, so I carry off duty.:D one of the perks of the job

Talk about picking the wrong vehicle.

~Lev

foxinthemudd 09-11-2007 03:58 AM

ya thats what he said to the cop who got there first. I think that his eyes popped out of his head when I pulled on him and pissed his pants a little when I started yelling. lol but damn that was priceless.

Levinoss 09-11-2007 04:38 AM

Kitchen Knife $1.50
Black mask $5.50
Picking a off duty police officers vehicle..Priceless.

~Lev

foxinthemudd 09-11-2007 05:25 AM

I need to make a shirt of that!:punk::rofl::rofl:

benjamin24 09-11-2007 07:16 AM

Get an alarm! I use my jeep way to much to not put anything valuable in it. Plus when I'm offshore my wife likes to take it when its nice out, and the panic button is a nice feature. Never had to use it yet, and never had anything stolen out of a vehicle. But, the first time I do, I'll say I'm glad I got it instead of I wish I had! :)

skeeter 09-11-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxinthemudd (Post 134494)

As an LEO, how many vehicle burglaries have you seen where the alarm went off and the thief continued to work on removing a stereo or other bolted down item?

The guy that tried to get my stereo the other day did it right in front of my house and I never heard a thing even though I was in the living room.
Had I known what was happening I'm heavily armed and would have loved to catch the little bastard. We've had a great deal of crime in the neighborhood recently.

debruins 09-11-2007 06:51 PM

i cant carry nor buy weapone, for one

and two thats what i was thinking, the school parking lot fo rthe kids ios like 1/4 mile away froma nything across the field so it might only be a minor neusinca to the theif and no one whould hear it

idk though, well see how i feel after a few weeks/months

dwdrums801 09-11-2007 07:10 PM

If your looking into alarms get one with a 2 way pager to let you know when it goes off

foxinthemudd 09-12-2007 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 134677)
As an LEO, how many vehicle burglaries have you seen where the alarm went off and the thief continued to work on removing a stereo or other bolted down item?

The guy that tried to get my stereo the other day did it right in front of my house and I never heard a thing even though I was in the living room.
Had I known what was happening I'm heavily armed and would have loved to catch the little bastard. We've had a great deal of crime in the neighborhood recently.

the chicken shit little bastards are well...chicken. a good portion of them run off if they have an alarm go off. some are smart and find out where the power wire to the alarm is and cut it. good thing for us alot of them are prior's so we can hook from prints they leave behind because they're so doped up. sounds to me like you need a motion sensor flood light near your jeep, that usually detures them, or just sit up all night in a tree or ontop of the house in camo and wait for'em :D

foxinthemudd 09-12-2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwdrums801 (Post 134803)
If your looking into alarms get one with a 2 way pager to let you know when it goes off

Viper alarm system, if anyone is going to be looking at getting an alarm. viper is a great system and it has the pagers.

skeeter 09-12-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxinthemudd (Post 135007)
the chicken shit little bastards are well...chicken. a good portion of them run off if they have an alarm go off. some are smart and find out where the power wire to the alarm is and cut it. good thing for us alot of them are prior's so we can hook from prints they leave behind because they're so doped up. sounds to me like you need a motion sensor flood light near your jeep, that usually detures them, or just sit up all night in a tree or ontop of the house in camo and wait for'em :D

I tried the tree idea once but I we have locust trees and they have three inch razor sharp spikes. It's not nearly as fun as it might sound :D

I'm installing a motion sensor with a beep and a video camera on the front porch this weekend, I'm also going to install an alarm in the Heep for when I go mall crawling.

kg4kpg 09-12-2007 11:32 AM

I hear them damn things go off all the time at work and some at home. Idiot owners either set them too sensative or just don't know what their doing. No one even pays attention to them any more as far as I can see. Besides, criminals these days know how to deal with them anyway.

Tj Bunch 09-12-2007 11:57 AM

if it's a real criminal there going to just take the whole car. But if it's some dumbA** kid the alarm usally is enough to deter them and get some kind of attenion. And they will usally move on to an easyier vehicle.