Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Tire horror story (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/tire-horror-story-113385.html)

Trad 09-18-2011 08:51 AM

Tire horror story

This is my story of what went on the other day. (in fact I'm still going through it) I bought some used tires (35x12.50x15 BFG A/T's) off of Craigslist. Long story somewhat shorter, After getting them mounted I went to work. When I got off of work I had a flat. I noticed that there was a slash in my tire that i did not notice when I bought them. So I called the dude I bought them from and explained to him what went on. He agreed to get me a different BFG A/T (He is still looking for one today) I found a used one on Craigslist that I could use for a spare. Well that one did not hold air ether. So I was pissed about it, I got my money back from him after I shoved the tire up his rear end. Then I went out a bought a new one for $240 (pretty good for a new one)

The point of the story is, don't buy a tire "off-rim" because it may not hold air. I have wasted 2 days of driving and $40 in gas for nothing. The guy I bought the 4 BFG's from is a cool guy and all, but I wished he would have checked out the tire to make sure it held air. ....and on my part I should have checked the tires out a little more than I did. I know I'll be doing that next time. It has been VERY frustrating!!

jk'n 09-18-2011 09:19 AM

Sounds like some bad luck. I'm not into used rubber so I doubt I'll ever experience what you did. I like bargains though and for my JK I purchased a set of 16" steel pulloffs and put new studded winter tires on them. $125.00 for all five. Got em on Craig's list. Couldn't beat that with a stick. Hope you work it out with the guy you got the 4 from.

DirtyRob 09-18-2011 10:31 AM

I had something similar happen but it was due to dryrott on the tires. They still looked like brand new, and 2 just started losing air. I dunked them in the pool, and found the sidewalls leaking. looked closer and it almost looked like razor cuts. I let them sit on a project for 1 1/2 years and this happened. I basically spent $975.00 for the BFG m/t's to throw them away less than 2 years later with maybe 6-7k miles on them :banghead:
I have switched brands now

Trad 09-18-2011 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm saving some money up and I'm going to buy new. 35's are a bit pricey, but when you have 7 inches of total lift you kind of need'em. I didn't want to use my Supper Swamper TSL's for the pavement so I had to by the BFG's.

Bubba68CS 09-18-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d5string (Post 1580424)
I had something similar happen but it was due to dryrott on the tires. They still looked like brand new, and 2 just started losing air. I dunked them in the pool, and found the sidewalls leaking. looked closer and it almost looked like razor cuts. I let them sit on a project for 1 1/2 years and this happened. I basically spent $975.00 for the BFG m/t's to throw them away less than 2 years later with maybe 6-7k miles on them :banghead:
I have switched brands now

Hate to tell you this, but dry rot doesn't care what brand your tires are. :doh:

These are the risks buying used tires. I've done it before, though from a local shop that sells them priced based on tread left, not brand or size. I try to buy new when I can, but when money's tight, you do what you can to keep on the road.