Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Emergency kit contest (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/emergency-kit-contest-11367.html)

skeeter 09-11-2007 03:09 PM

Emergency kit contest

In honor of 9/11 Amy and I are sponsoring a contest to see who can present the best emergency kit. The prize will be your choice of a one year Wrangler Forum membership, or one of Tiny Terrors WF mugs.

The contest will run today through September 30th with the winner announced on October 1st.

To enter all you need to do is put together an emergency kit and post a description with pictures if possible. Those who already have a kit can post theirs as well.
Entrants will be judged on creativity, planning and presentation.
Try to cover food, water, shelter and heat for three days and tailored to your area.

I'll be posting a sample later tonight or in the morning. I was supposed to do it today but I'm running way behind :(
Feel free to discuss what should go in a kit, offer any ideas or good sources you might have.
The idea for this contest is to get more people thinking about safety. We spend hundreds, even thousands on armor and recovery gear for our rigs but for some reason few people plan for their personal safety.

antwon412 09-11-2007 03:21 PM

My AR-15
Pop Tarts
Sweatshirt
A crap load of bullets

I win!

1BLKJP 09-11-2007 05:20 PM

Skeeter approached us about doing this contest and we are all for it and support it. Being prepared when in the back country can make even the worst break down or mishap seem insignificant. So we hope you all have fun with this little contest, but in the long run we hope that you get some idea's for your own emergency packs that might just help one of you out in the future.

Skeet, I stuck this thread up at the top of the page for easy viewing.

Levinoss 09-11-2007 05:45 PM

My entry ;)

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1...3caselgch3.jpg

Seriously tho, if I had the money I would put something together. Really nice of you two to do this.

<3

~Lev

debruins 09-11-2007 07:09 PM

yeah this wil be really helpful to me, since the first things im buying for the jeep, are an emergency kit

02Prove 09-11-2007 09:05 PM

A basic first aid kit and flashlight went in my Heep before the first mod.

This is a great contest and I think onr of the most important things on everyone's checklist should be at least a second rig. Nothing beats the buddy system in the event of a SHTF situation.

mswilder 09-11-2007 09:29 PM

my kit!!!

Well Here is my kit, not great pics but i pulled everything out so atleast it shows, i will try to get better pics then these this is just some that i had.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/ABCD0005.jpg
here is everything!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/ABCD0001.jpg
in here is 5 MRE's, radio, clothes, matchs, area maps, and other odds and ends.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/ABCD0002.jpg
here daliy items to carry food, poncho, compass, toilt paper, flashlights, 550 cord, and a multitool.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/ABCD0004.jpg
here is my camelbak w/ 3L of water, mini first aid, survial odds and ends.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/ABCD0003.jpg
lastly my medic tac vest, sleeping bag rated to -15*, and my hammocktent.

First I have to tell you I am ground team medic for a search and rescue team out of arkansas, so survial is a instint to me. All my supplies is enough to sustain me for 4-7 days depending what other resorces are available to me. as for all this being in my jeep at all times no, just when I am going on a search or on a long trail. If you would like to contact me I can get a list of the items that we use to make our packs ready for survival use to get Ideas of good stuff to carry.

Levinoss 09-11-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWilder
toilet paper

All you had to say my friend. ^_^

Thats some serious survival gear.

Quote:

If you would like to contact me I can get a list of the items that we use to make our packs ready for survival use to get Ideas of good stuff to carry.
Maybe wanna Write up a thread on basic survival tips and a list of items so that they can sticky it?

~Lev

RIPBiker13 09-11-2007 09:48 PM

In my Jeep 24/7:

MREs
My Sig goes wherever I go
A hatchet and knife
Radio and CB
Water
Blanket
First aid kit
2 flashlights
Toilet paper

When I need to "bug out" add:

sleeping bags
tent
more food
no less than 400rnds of ammo

I hope I'm not missing anything... I don't feel like getting up to check. lol

skeeter 09-11-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 134778)
My entry ;)

Seriously tho, if I had the money I would put something together. Really nice of you two to do this.

<3

~Lev

I was thinking something more like this.
http://www.hobbsclan.us/images/ekit1.jpg

You can do something along these lines for under $50 if you shop well.

This is Amy's kit she keeps in the Jeep at all times.

skeeter 09-11-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswilder (Post 134864)
Well Here is my kit, ***snip***If you would like to contact me I can get a list of the items that we use to make our packs ready for survival use to get Ideas of good stuff to carry.

Outstanding!!! I'm drooling.

I would really appreciate any tips you can post to help others get their kits done.

skeeter 09-11-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 134759)

Skeet, I stuck this thread up at the top of the page for easy viewing.

Thank you.

sgnellett 09-11-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 134866)
All you had to say my friend. ^_^

Thats some serious survival gear.

Maybe wanna Write up a thread on basic survival tips and a list of items so that they can sticky it?

~Lev

^^ Yeah, ditto what he said!! ^^

sgnellett 09-11-2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripbiker13 (Post 134879)
In my Jeep 24/7:

MREs
A hatchet and knife
Radio and CB
Water
Blanket
First aid kit
2 flashlights
Toilet paper

When I need to "bug out" add:

sleeping bags
tent
more food
no less than :eek:400:eek:rnds of ammo

Umm, yeah, RIP, all those nasty things I said about you, you know I was just kidding, right? :flipoff:

RIPBiker13 09-11-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgnellett (Post 134927)
Umm, yeah, RIP, all those nasty things I said about you, you know I was just kidding, right? :flipoff:

You said nasty things about me!? :eek: And all this time I thought you were my biggest fan. :(
Besides... I only need 3rnds to deal with you. One in each knee cap, and then one in the head after I get tired of hearing you scream. :D

mswilder 09-11-2007 11:56 PM

Hey skeet, not to be competive, but seriously I put my day pack (just the small one) together for about $20 + food. but that is for about 24hr worth. Yall let me know how indepth you want a gear setup and I will make out list of items and appox prices or give me a price range and I will give you the best supplies to have. as for the tips I will write up a document of the next couple of day and post it on a new thread. Most of the classes I have been in for survial are atleast 2weekends long or 1 week in the field. but I can put together some basic fun stuff. just let me know!

Tj Bunch 09-12-2007 12:15 AM

mswilder a 3day i think is what he wanted, I know i could benefit from a list and I'm sure others as well we have 4 peeps in our family.

For Y2k We had 15 gal of water 15 gal of Propane 2 stoves ! small generator 10gal of extra fuel for generator 3 first aid kits 1 Deluxe and and 2 basic. SKS And 500Rds 7.62x39HP Makarof 9mm 100+ rds misc other calibers 12gauge 22 and 20 gauge.Lots of mashed potatoes powdered From Costco. Lots of flavor packets for water. We have 2 tents and a small trailer to load everything on to move it out.

sgnellett 09-12-2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripbiker13 (Post 134934)
You said nasty things about me!? :eek: And all this time I thought you were my biggest fan. :(
Besides... I only need 3rnds to deal with you. One in each knee cap, and then one in the head after I get tired of hearing you scream. :D

I dunno, it might take 4, I got a big dome, dude! As for the biggest fan, well, we should keep that on the DL!:rofl:

skeeter 09-12-2007 12:25 AM

mswilder, That would be fantastic.
My hope is to give people an idea how to put together a 72 hour disaster kit. something small enough that it can be kept in a Wrangler at all times without being a problem but still have enough to keep them safe and somewhat comfortable in the event of an accident, natural disaster, terrorist attack, flood fire or what have you.
I would like to see it kept fairly inexpensive so even somebody like Debruins can put something useful together without breaking the bank.

JCS05Rubi 09-12-2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

In my Jeep 24/7:

MREs
A hatchet and knife
Radio and CB
Water
Blanket
First aid kit
2 flashlights
Toilet paper

<B>When I need to "bug out" add:

sleeping bags
tent
more food
no less than 400rnds of ammo</B>

"a handgun is only there to fight your way to your rifle." ;)

Ill take some pics of my wheeling bag, and type out a list later.

foxinthemudd 09-12-2007 07:15 AM

Quote:

...no less than 400rnds of ammo...

just 400?

well here's my partial list of what I have in my jeep right now I would have to get the rest out of the storage bag in my room. (sorry no pics)

-7" knife, and various other pocket knives in different locations
-Hatchet
-Cartheart
-ball cap
-matches (waterproof)
-torch lighter
-Fishing rod
-tackle box
-4 mags of S&W .40 (for the glock) and some extra rounds just floating about not including the 2 I carry on me
-cell phone
-5 MRE's
-first aid kit all the basics and then some (needle & thread, bandaids, gauze, alochol, emerg blanket, prep wipes, etc...)
-fire extinguisher
-flares/flare gun
-Rope
-zip ties
-duct tape
-a compass
-mag light
-Water, water purification tabs
-canteen
-small tarp

RIPBiker13 09-12-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi (Post 134997)
"a handgun is only there to fight your way to your rifle." ;)

Ill take some pics of my wheeling bag, and type out a list later.

I have the option of buying my lift or a Remington 700 right now. I want the lift, I have a lot of guns.

JCS05Rubi 09-12-2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripbiker13 (Post 135229)
I have the option of buying my lift or a Remington 700 right now. I want the lift, I have a lot of guns.

thats where the GF comes in :) Mines buying me a mint, never fired, new in box, 1990 winchester 94, 30-30, top eject for xmas :flipoff: :D Thats going to be my truck/jeep gun when wheeling.

Ill take some pics and list out my emergancy kit tommorrow, its dark outside now, and I just got done running and don't want to go get dressed and take pics etc. :) An informal, maybe 90% complete list, is in the other thread if your curious.

skeeter 09-12-2007 10:37 PM

There's no rush, contest goes to the end of the month.

OdhinnsChick 09-12-2007 10:39 PM

Great contest! I think all I need is a snickers bar. Those waterfalls of caramel are total lifesavers!

OdhinnsChick 09-12-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi (Post 135303)
thats where the GF comes in :) Mines buying me a mint, never fired, new in box, 1990 winchester 94, 30-30, top eject for xmas :flipoff: :D Thats going to be my truck/jeep gun when wheeling.

Ill take some pics and list out my emergancy kit tommorrow, its dark outside now, and I just got done running and don't want to go get dressed and take pics etc. :) An informal, maybe 90% complete list, is in the other thread if your curious.

you wouldn't happen to have any .35 lights would ya? :D

RIPBiker13 09-12-2007 10:53 PM

Happy peanuts soar,
over mountian tops of chocolate,
and waterfalls of caramel...

amy 09-13-2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi (Post 135303)

Oooh, I got one o those. I love that rifle! Is a goooood rifle. :D

Um, except when I wear a v-neck shirt while shooting. Hot brass down the front is no fun.

sgnellett 09-13-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy (Post 135473)
Oooh, I got one o those. I love that rifle! Is a goooood rifle. :D

Um, except when I wear a v-neck shirt while shooting. Hot brass down the front is no fun.

Wow! That is such a confusingly exciting image!! Grrrr!!!

:rofl:

Oh, hey Skeet, how you doin? Didn't see you standing there! You know I was just kidding, right? :D

:flipoff:

ccain 09-13-2007 12:33 PM

Here's mine....

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...02_600x450.jpg

Everything I need for first aid in the field to include IV solution, bandages, suture kits (shhhhh don't tell anyone..here Only docs and PAs can suture), stuff for bug bites, an EPI pen, Benadryl, a seat belt cutter/ window breaker, tweezers, Latex-free gloves, BP cuff (my stethoscope not pictured), CPR mask with one way valve, and all sorts of other stuff

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1..._600x450-1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1..._600x450-1.jpg

This is where I keep it. I have to pack it a certain way to get it to fit in the hole.