Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Ohhh yeah the infamous "death wobble" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ohhh-yeah-the-infamous-death-wobble-11384.html)

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 06:26 AM

Ohhh yeah the infamous "death wobble"

Ok well on my way home from work yesterday I started to slow down to turn and i recieved a gift from the jeep gods (death wobble) ok maybe not a gift...... I put on the RE 2" about 3 months ago, about 2 weeks later i put on the 33's with no wobble. Well I had alittle and put on the new stabilizer and fixed that issue. The other day I put the stock tires and rims back on (since I am moving this week better MPG) and on the way to work yesterday morning I didnt get the DW, but on the way home I did.. So I guess I'm looking at getting lower control arms for the front?!?! Will this take care of the problem after a alignment, or is there another way I should go first before getting the lowers?:confused:
I figured this was a caster issue but I just dont understand how I have this now and not with the larger tires??

mud707 09-12-2007 08:41 AM

Try balancing your tires first b4 buying expensive parts would be my advice, since it was when you changed rims and tires that it started.

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 08:54 AM

It happens at different speeds (ie. anywhere from 30-55, and goes away after 55), so im not thinking right now that it is a tire balance issue.

ct-tj 09-12-2007 09:02 AM

tire balance comes and goes. I had a car that would wobble at 35-40, then be fine, and start again at 60-65, then go away. I was too lazy to take the tires off of my beater so I just drove around it. You will notice a balance problem because the shakes wont be too severe, if you have DW itll scare the crap out of you and be intermittent.

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 09:08 AM

Yeah it is definetly not tire balance. it definetly scared the crap out of me. So do you guys think that the front lowers will correct it with a alignment. When I called RE yesterday they said that the lowers would fix the problem. He recommended the super flex adustable lowers. Any opinions???? :crash:

ct-tj 09-12-2007 09:22 AM

I would say that any adjustable should fix the problem. Nice Jeep by the way.

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 09:27 AM

God I hope so. I just dont understand how when I put the stock rims and tires back on that it would get the wobble. I had on the 33" thornies on it and never got the wobble?? confuses me lol

ct-tj 09-12-2007 09:35 AM

Yeah, I was just thinking that too. Throw them back on and see if it happens again, worst case scenario, its still there, but atleast the thought wont be in the back of your mind.

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 09:39 AM

yeah i might have to do that but, I think I'm gonna call RE and order the lowers lol... Might as well as get them. I guess I should have got them to start with lol

ct-tj 09-12-2007 09:47 AM

roger that. Night man, hope that fixes your problem.

tazmann910 09-12-2007 10:49 AM

I just had the same thing, but I am running 33's. Get the wheels balanced and an alingment and you should be all set. Also torque down the bolts for your front control arms, trac bar, and sway bar. I found out that my trac bar bolt was loose and that was causing the Death Wobble.

Hope that helps.

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 10:50 AM

Well I called Rubicon and they wanted me to get the alignment first and then see if that takes care of the DW. He said if not it might need track bar on top of the lowers. WTF

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazmann910 (Post 135059)
I just had the same thing, but I am running 33's. Get the wheels balanced and an alingment and you should be all set. Also torque down the bolts for your front control arms, trac bar, and sway bar. I found out that my trac bar bolt was loose and that was causing the Death Wobble.

Hope that helps.

thanks taz I didnt see the post till after I posted the last one. Well its at the shop getting aligned as we speak (its good to know people lol) so hopefully

LIVE TO JEEP,JEEP TO LIVE 09-12-2007 12:04 PM

This Looks Like A Pretty Boy Jeep.......

tazmann910 09-12-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIVE TO JEEP,JEEP TO LIVE (Post 135099)
This Looks Like A Pretty Boy Jeep.......

A newbie coming on and bashing jeeps..got to love it.

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 12:48 PM

Na its just my boss trying to "fit" in :punk:

MouthfulOfGrass 09-12-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04blackunlimited (Post 135031)
God I hope so. I just dont understand how when I put the stock rims and tires back on that it would get the wobble. I had on the 33" thornies on it and never got the wobble?? confuses me lol

I had the same problem (actually still have it). My thinking is that the bigger wider tires are more stable & heavier and don't allow the DW, kinda strong-arming the situation. Where the stock tires being lighter and skinnier allow the floppiness much easier.
I think it's mostly my stock steering parts are sloppy and I need to upgrade as soon as some $$ comes my way.

04blackunlimited 09-12-2007 01:14 PM

I was thinking that maybe the larger tires wore things out quicker but I checked the parts last night and they were all ok. Hopefully the alignment will help lol

4Jeepn 09-12-2007 03:17 PM

Alignment did the trick for me.

MouthfulOfGrass 09-12-2007 03:21 PM

I already ruled out my alignment & wheel balance. My TRE's are a little wiggley. My steering stabilizer shock is shot, but that's not the cause of my DW.

matt01tj 09-13-2007 10:27 AM

had the same problem had to use my off road tires until i could get a new set of street tires got the wobble around 40 and 65 most of the time i would have to come to a complete stop to get it to quit took tires in to get them balanced and found out i had a bent wheel put a new wheel on and problem was fixed

MouthfulOfGrass 09-13-2007 10:40 AM

My DW appears at speed (35-40+) when I hit a bump in the road or RR tracks, something like that, and it feels like I'm going to lose total control and the front axle is going to fall off. Then I'll slow down and everything will smooth out. Only with the stock tires & wheels, with the 33's it happens also but barely noticeable and I don't have to slow down for it to go away.

tazmann910 09-13-2007 10:57 AM

Check your track bar bolts and also your lug nuts. I tightend the track bar bolts and all my lug nuts and she drives like a dream now. Of course this is after an alignment and tire balancing.

MouthfulOfGrass 09-13-2007 10:59 AM

Important to check the track bar, doesn't seem like it would matter much but it does. Torque those bolts down.

04blackunlimited 09-15-2007 06:23 AM

Well the shop just wants to try the alignment first I guess its not that far out of caster spec.
It was supposed to be done yesterday but they called and said that the caster bolts that I need are stuck in Chicago.. So now I have to wait till Monday. Hopefully this takes care of it..

Triple88a 09-15-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MouthfulOfGrass (Post 135683)
Important to check the track bar, doesn't seem like it would matter much but it does. Torque those bolts down.

any one know how much to torque them down to? (I have a good history of ripping bolts due to "torque them down good" :rofl:)

04blackunlimited 09-18-2007 05:18 AM

Well they finally did the alignment yesterday and it didnt fix the problem the checked everything over again, still shakes.... So I called RE last night and they said that the DW is 90% tire??? They also said that when you do the caster adjustment not to put it into spec, he said that they actually want to go the other way with the caster adjustment. Mine started at 5.4 I think and he put more into it. The guy from RE said that you might have to go as low at 4.0.... I never knew that caster would make this much of a difference?!?!?! Any help

tazmann910 09-18-2007 08:42 AM

I just got my alignment done last week and my caster is at 4.3.

04blackunlimited 09-18-2007 09:06 AM

I guess it makes sense lol. I'm just waiting on a call back from the machanic to let me know when they can get it back in to fix it.. :crash:

IMO: RE is very good to deal with after the fact if you have any questions about there lifts or suspension parts... Not sure about any other company but they very well could have sold me the farm when I called about possibly needing lowers and a new track bar, but they advised to go another route which was cool with me to save some money lol

MouthfulOfGrass 09-18-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 136806)
any one know how much to torque them down to? (I have a good history of ripping bolts due to "torque them down good" :rofl:)

The '98 TJ service manual states 65 foot lbs. at the frame end & 55 foot lbs. at the axle end.

http://www.vintagemusicprojects.com/...emanuals/TJ98/