Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Rant: Slacker friends piss me off (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/rant-slacker-friends-piss-me-off-11395.html)

drummerwookie 09-12-2007 05:25 PM

Rant: Slacker friends piss me off
 
heres the deal. my best friend, who by the way is like a brother to me, his brother who is another friend of mine bought a cheap car off me a couple months back. the agreed upon price was an even 500 bucks. he gets paid every other week, and he said he would pay me 100, then 150, then 100 then 150 and then it would be finished. so i agreed, and i even let him take the car after he was half way done making the payments bc he needed a car

well exactly 2 weeks ago today, was suppose to be the last payment, but he had some unexpected bills so he only gave me 50...i can understand that, crap happens. so i told him he can finish paying me on his next check, which is today, and he would owe me the remaining 100 bucks. well, i call my friend whos bro got the car bc they are living with each other and the one that got my car doesnt have a cell phone. i asked my buddy if he bro was going to give me the rest of the money today and he said he cant

so i ask why, and he said that he quit his job a week ago, and only has 80 dollars on this check. then i told my buddy how dumb that was for him to quit the job with no job lined up, yet he knows he still owes me for the car

and its not about the money, its about all the times i have helped both of them. ive paid for things for them, ive just done a bunch of stuff for them, so i figured i could trust Kyle just this once to give me the money for the car. but instead, he up and quits his job. which, he and his bro have a pretty good history of quiting jobs for no reason, bc, as i said, they are slackers and have no freaking clue what responsibility even means. it just pisses me off so much that he would screw me over like this after i have done so much for him. and his bro, my best friend, just walked out of his job too last week. got into a huge fight with his supervisor, and some how cussed him out like crazy and the supervisor was actually walking away from him and never threatened to fire him even after he cussed him out, yet justin still walked out even tho he has rent and is now helping his GF and her kids out..and justin even got pissed at me when i told him how dumb it was for his bro to just up and quit a week before he was going to pay the rest of the car off.

i just cant even imagine quiting when i know i owe money to ANYbody. especially a friend that has done so much for me in the past. im just not the kinda person to just walk out of a job.

anyways, end rant:crash:

Levinoss 09-12-2007 05:33 PM

Thats why I dont give stuff to friends and expect to be paid back.

~Lev

drummerwookie 09-12-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 135201)
Thats why I dont give stuff to friends and expect to be paid back.

~Lev

yea, i thought i could trust him atleast this once, but nope. ive learned my lesson

penguin_in_a_cj 09-12-2007 06:46 PM

well I found a simple and very effective way around this. Go and take 100 dollars worth of parts off said vechile.. when you get the money go and put them back.. distributor is worth about that.

Levinoss 09-12-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin_in_a_cj (Post 135239)
well I found a simple and very effective way around this. Go and take 100 dollars worth of parts off said vechile.. when you get the money go and put them back.. distributor is worth about that.

ouch

~Lev

sgnellett 09-12-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerwookie (Post 135203)
yea, i thought i could trust him atleast this once, but nope. ive learned my lesson

Do you still have the title? If so, go get the car, and he gets the car and the title when you get the rest of the $$!

:flipoff:

OdhinnsChick 09-12-2007 07:23 PM

I agree with sgnellett. Technically it is still your car, IF you still have the title. If you didn't have a contract written up and signed between the both of you, you could have a harder time of it if he decided to be an ass and call the cops. Either way, if you don't feel like going through the trouble for $100 and principle, you could always chalk it up as a lesson learned. If there is one thing that will ruin a relationship, it's money. Anytime you loan someone money, you run the risk of losing a friendship/relationship over it. If one of my friends needs money, and I have it, I just give it to them. It's not worth the hassle and heartache if they can't/don't pay me back.

Triple88a 09-12-2007 07:27 PM

i'm a bit confused w/ this.. "bills come up" and he quites his job? lol Does it make sense to any one because to me, it doesnt?

drummerwookie 09-12-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 135264)
i'm a bit confused w/ this.. "bills come up" and he quites his job? lol Does it make sense to any one because to me, it doesnt?

well, like i said, hes a huge slacker. and he was living with his cousin when the bills came up, and she just wanted him to help pay for a few things, which i can understand. but then he quites his job. like i said, no sence of responsibility.

Levinoss 09-12-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerwookie (Post 135299)
well, like i said, hes a huge slacker. and he was living with his cousin when the bills came up, and she just wanted him to help pay for a few things, which i can understand. but then he quites his job. like i said, no sence of responsibility.

Do you still have the title?

~Lev

iamagolfspaz 09-12-2007 08:41 PM

Neither a borrower nor a lender be!

Texapple 09-12-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 135201)
Thats why I dont give stuff to friends and expect to be paid back.

~Lev

you are a wise man.....
__________________________________________________

There are 2 issues here that is blending and making things grey. This is my view: You have a long history together and are aware of their past behaviors. My experience is that one should do for others, for the goodness of the act.....people run into heart ache when they do for others with an expectation of a "return".

Your choices were:
* to "make a deal", knowing that you may get shafted and accept that possibility
* or make it a business transaction with a contract, providing some kind of leagl recourse (if you chose to act) when payments weren't made

Drummer
you were trying to help him out, and that's ok......don't be discouraged :)
learn a life lesson, try to let it go and move on

OdhinnsChick 09-12-2007 09:27 PM

Dave Ramsey always says...the borrower is slave to the lender. No one wants to be a slave, or be friends with a slaver. =P

drummerwookie 09-12-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 135302)
Do you still have the title?

~Lev


no. thats why im just saying its a lesson learned until he does give me the money for it, if he does:mad: what can i say, im to trusting. :doh:

Levinoss 09-12-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerwookie (Post 135351)
no. thats why im just saying its a lesson learned until he does give me the money for it, if he does:mad: what can i say, im to trusting. :doh:

:doh:

Yea, dont feel bad Im too trusting for my own good as well. I'll PM you something that happend to me last year.

~Lev

bluvikng 09-12-2007 10:07 PM

Your responces surprise me.......what ever happened to integrity? I would go without food, in order to pay someone back, if I barrowed money from them. People just don't have any ethics anymore. My sons friends are exactly like the ones you gave the car too. They change jobs more often than some people change underware. It is sad that that is what the new generation, is all about. No loyalty, no pride, no work ethics, no damn class.

OdhinnsChick 09-12-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng (Post 135354)
Your responces surprise me.......what ever happened to integrity? I would go without food, in order to pay someone back, if I barrowed money from them. People just don't have any ethics anymore. My sons friends are exactly like the ones you gave the car too. They change jobs more often than some people change underware. It is sad that that is what the new generation, is all about. No loyalty, no pride, no work ethics, no damn class.

Well I guess we all just assumed the kid had none. :/ But please, don't clump my whole generation into the same category as kids like this. I'm sure his parents never taught him the importance of honor and integrity.

drummerwookie 09-12-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng (Post 135354)
Your responces surprise me.......what ever happened to integrity? I would go without food, in order to pay someone back, if I barrowed money from them. People just don't have any ethics anymore. My sons friends are exactly like the ones you gave the car too. They change jobs more often than some people change underware. It is sad that that is what the new generation, is all about. No loyalty, no pride, no work ethics, no damn class.

im the same as you. if i ever borrowed money for something, i make sure first time i have that money, that person gets it back. for example, i was wheeling one day when i had my ZJ, and i busted a shock. well, i didnt have a debit card or credit card then, and i didnt have any cash on me. so my buddy i was wheeling with gave me 50 bucks to go into town and get 2 new ones so both rear shocks were the same. the very next day i paid him back bc i went to the bank as soon as it opened to get the cash out i owed him. hell, that same guy trusts me so much he told me if i found a jeep cheap enough, that he would loan me the money, but i told him im not the kinda person to ask a friend for money for a car...if i ask to borrow that much money, its only going to be for a life or death situation, not for a car

kbak303 09-12-2007 10:19 PM

been there, done that...didn't even get a t-shirt out of the deal..

weird thing too...same scenario...used s-10...he owed me money..he drops out of sight..never talk to him..i see the truck like 8 months later at an auction...they got $800 for it, and i found out they gave him $600 on trade in...i've run into him a few times over the years, he never mentions it...

it sucks,but i guess if you learned, cause i sure did

i think because it's a friend thing they feel like 'oh he'll understand' or something...i'm not sure they MEAN to take advantage..but they end up doing so and it sucks

he ever talk to you again about it yet, since you called the cousin...
?

Levinoss 09-12-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng (Post 135354)
Your responces surprise me.......what ever happened to integrity? I would go without food, in order to pay someone back, if I barrowed money from them. People just don't have any ethics anymore. My sons friends are exactly like the ones you gave the car too. They change jobs more often than some people change underware. It is sad that that is what the new generation, is all about. No loyalty, no pride, no work ethics, no damn class.

I dont get it, are you talking about us not having loyalty and pride? Or the guy?

Also why are you surprised by our responses?

~Lev

bluvikng 09-12-2007 10:27 PM

I am sorry if I offended anyone. It is not fair to put everyone in the same category. I know that some of you were raised right, with integrity, pride, and honor. I should not have grouped, or pigeon holed anyone. It just seems to be so prevalent, in todays society, to not take any responsibility, and that really stinks. *End of my rant*........:D

Levinoss 09-12-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng (Post 135376)
I am sorry if I offended anyone. It is not fair to put everyone in the same category. I know that some of you were raised right, with integrity, pride, and honor. I should not have grouped, or pigeon holed anyone. It just seems to be so prevalent, in todays society, to not take any responsibility, and that really stinks. *End of my rant*........:D

What about our responses surprised you?

Theres still afew people raised right in this world.

~Lev

drummerwookie 09-12-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbak303 (Post 135364)
been there, done that...didn't even get a t-shirt out of the deal..

weird thing too...same scenario...used s-10...he owed me money..he drops out of sight..never talk to him..i see the truck like 8 months later at an auction...they got $800 for it, and i found out they gave him $600 on trade in...i've run into him a few times over the years, he never mentions it...

it sucks,but i guess if you learned, cause i sure did

i think because it's a friend thing they feel like 'oh he'll understand' or something...i'm not sure they MEAN to take advantage..but they end up doing so and it sucks

he ever talk to you again about it yet, since you called the cousin...
?

i never did talk to his cousin, he was just living with her for a while. the one i talked to today was his brother, who has been like a brother to me, but hes not much better when it comes to keeping jobs or being trusting with money. infact, hes worse at keeping jobs...one year he went thru about 6 jobs or something like that...would work for no more then a week, then just walk out

OdhinnsChick 09-12-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng (Post 135376)
I am sorry if I offended anyone. It is not fair to put everyone in the same category. I know that some of you were raised right, with integrity, pride, and honor. I should not have grouped, or pigeon holed anyone. It just seems to be so prevalent, in todays society, to not take any responsibility, and that really stinks. *End of my rant*........:D

Didn't offend me at all. I just don't want anyone to think I'm like that kid! :p

Levinoss 09-12-2007 10:44 PM

I was thinking about this the other day.

People fail to see that there are slackers and scumballs with every generation, only less because there are less people in each generation correct? More and more people people are born with each generation, thats why it seems like a generation is worse then the past but in reality is about the same with the past generations as well. MHM?

Just thinking out loud.

~Lev

OdhinnsChick 09-12-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 135389)
I was thinking about this the other day.

People fail to see that there are slackers and scumballs with every generation, only less because there are less people in each generation correct? More and more people people are born with each generation, thats why it seems like a generation is worse then the past but in reality is about the same with the past generations as well. MHM?

Just thinking out loud.

~Lev

I'm no statistics major but seems logical to me.

bernm8r 09-12-2007 11:10 PM

Yea I have a buddy that is a big slacker. Years ago (damn near 20 by now) He was kicked out of his house by his dad for I guess not following the rules or contributing or doing chores I forget. he was 16 then. He moved in with me and my dad saw right through his crap when he asked him to help with some yard work. that night my father says to me ":Your friend has to go he is no feckin good" in his old irish brogue. SO needless to say he moved in with another buddy and has been there ever since living in the basement quit his fair decent paying government job (actually was fired for failure to show up for 2 months, you know government jobs almost impossible to get fired) He now sits around calling people during working hours to lament his sad life. I can hardly look at him never mind talking to him. He sponges off my buddy who had to move back home after his father died because his mother could not afford the mortgage any more, and this POS is not paying rent and asking for money to cover his insulin because he is diabetic. Pathetic, smoking dope all day and not even able to get to work on time for the 6 pm shift, got fired from that one to. Just to tie this to the thread I have GIVEN him a car to get to work and he just let it rot away in the yard do not even get me started on just basic maintenace of vehicle useless SOB. Thanks for my rant.

RIPBiker13 09-12-2007 11:26 PM

My Fiance gave me $4500 so I could buy my Jeep. I wouldn't buy anything or DO anything until I payed her back. It was a huge risk for her but she trusted me and I would not betray her. I have needed money before and my best friend gave me $400 and he just told me to pay him back when I got it this was some time ago) and I did as quickly as I could. I'm sorry but I don't think there are many good excuses to try to scimp out on anything if you say you will. But I've always been a man of my word, and I live by that. just my .02

Triple88a 09-12-2007 11:33 PM

I have to agree w/ ripbiker here. I'm the same way.

RIPBiker13 09-12-2007 11:35 PM

OMG I said something right!? This is the greatest day of my life until tomorrow when I order my lift...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.