Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Ford 9 inch

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ibuildembig 
#1 ·
Im tearing a dana 35 out of my 94 yj and planning to throw a ford 9 inch in its place.... the ford 9 in is (correct me if im wrong) 65 inches in width out of a bronco/f-150 and 68 in out of an E-150 van. The main question is what front diff will match in length so my yj doesn't look goofy rolling down the road?

#4 ·
What size tires are you planning to run? I guess my thinking is that with 8.8" Explorer axles everywhere, and the ability of a properly built D30 to handle most reasonable tire sizes, there doesn't seem (to me) much sense in a mid-way swap with a 9" rear and ??? up front - either go full-width with 1-ton gear or stay at stock width with D30/D44 front and Ford 8.8 rear. Full-width 1/2 ton gear seems like a lot of work for little benefit.

I think there is a driver-drop D44 out of the old Wagoneers and such that is close to stock width, that would buy you quite a bit of tube strength (3/8" if memory serves) over your stock front axle setup and get you some lockouts in the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.