Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Need help.>trans issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/need-help-trans-issue-114317.html)

correycinciyj 09-23-2011 02:48 PM

Need help.>trans issue

ok well ill give a little back ground first. i have an 89 yj and the engine was swapped before i bought it. i have been able to figure out that the engine came from a 87-89 comanche. i hope. now i have a horrible noise comeing from my forward transmission or maybe bell housing area. its an extremely loud knock that comes when i let go of the gas while its in gear. only if im moving. any advice there would be great. but the question i have is if an ax-15 trans would be a direct replacment for my peugeot ba10/5 trans. id like to get one from a much newer jeep to avoid this again. any help would be greatly appreciated. thaks guys

correycinciyj 10-31-2011 07:14 PM

nothin? come on i know there is a lot of jeep guruus out there that know all this technical stuff. any help would be much appreciated

kboles89 10-31-2011 08:45 PM

Yeah it can be swapped from what I've read. Flywheels are different. Just see if your t-case has 23 splines. I think yours should only have 21. If you can get the flywheel, clutch, trans and correct np-231 you should be good to go. I've never did that swap personally but that's all the info I could get from doing my own research.

Garyk 11-01-2011 01:03 PM

Have you taken a look inside? Could be a loose flywheel bolt to bad pilot bearing. I would look before spending a lot of time and $$.

correycinciyj 11-06-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboles89 (Post 1709067)
Yeah it can be swapped from what I've read. Flywheels are different. Just see if your t-case has 23 splines. I think yours should only have 21. If you can get the flywheel, clutch, trans and correct np-231 you should be good to go. I've never did that swap personally but that's all the info I could get from doing my own research.

thanks for the info, but im not sure on the splines for the trans. i know that the output shaft to the rear driveshaft on the tc is 21. just had to replace the yoke. would it all be the same throughout the drivetrain

correycinciyj 11-06-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyk (Post 1710575)
Have you taken a look inside? Could be a loose flywheel bolt to bad pilot bearing. I would look before spending a lot of time and $$.

have not taken a look inside. it honestly scares the hell out of me. everything else ill jump right into but the trans is...is well scary to me. i developed a new symtom though. i went out the other day and i had a huge leak under the jeep. its a little bit of oil which hasbeen leaking from the day i got it. no big deal, but the rest was brake fluid. which is what is used for my hydraulic clutch. could it be my slave cylinder. its internal. im not sure but i did find a kit that includes a clutch and slave for 180. is that a good price.

scott howard 11-07-2011 06:35 PM

it really is not a hard job at all . you should pull the transmission and transfer case as one. it is smart to know your spline count and flywheel tooth so you can match up parts.
and yes the package for 180 is ok but check with your auto parts store first. the benefit of buying from a local parts store is that if the parts don't match up then you can exchange them and it is done over night in most cases.

stykthyn 11-07-2011 06:53 PM

Sounds like a clutch/pressure plate issue. Simple nuts and bolts. Drop the tranny and look for anything that just plain doesn't look right. Check the tq on your flywheel bolts and have a new throwout bearing handy. They we cheap and it woulldnt be a

stykthyn 11-07-2011 06:54 PM

Bad idea to have one on hand.

correycinciyj 02-27-2012 01:13 AM

Thanks for all the feedback and help guts. All taken care of now.. had a ax-15 from a 94 Cherokee swapped in. Cost was 275. Also had a 99 wrangler tcase put in and that was 225. The only mishap with it all was the 4 wd system was electronic vs. Vacuum so I locked up the front axle at the shift fork. Again thanks for the help