Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Had to abort a Rallylights H4 kit install on a 2012 JK today (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/had-to-abort-a-rallylights-h4-kit-install-on-a-2012-jk-today-114541.html)

off a cough 09-24-2011 11:02 PM

Had to abort a Rallylights H4 kit install on a 2012 JK today

After reading several threads, and great info from folks like Hilldweller, I bought the Rallylights H4 conversion kit, which included a new harness, Hella reflectors, and I opted for the Phillips X-treme+80 bulbs. Best bang for the buck based on what I've read.

Being a 2012, I figured I would run into some minor issues due to the layout of the engine compartment changing dramatically from 2011. First of all, the instructions directed me to remove the battery and mount the relays on the firewall behind. If you've looked under the hood of a 2012 and didn't get PTSD from it, you probably noticed that the battery is mounted 90 and things just don't look the same. No problem, I figured I would get creative with relay mounts as soon as I saw how much slack was left after putting the bulbs in.

Well, after getting everything out and preparing to put in the new reflectors and bulbs, I notice that the reflectors were simply not going to mount cleanly.

Here's a picture of the OEM reflector. Note the raised plastic around the outer portion of the reflector. This lines up with the mounts to keep the light from rotating under the retaining ring.

http://www.packnet.net/jeep/reflector-original.jpg

Blow is a picture of the OEM reflector and how it lines up in the mount.

http://www.packnet.net/jeep/reflector-install.jpg

Below is the Hella reflector that shipped with the kit. The raised area is a completely different pattern. There is no way that is getting mounted in this Jeep without major tweaking, which I'm not going to do.

http://www.packnet.net/jeep/reflector-hella.jpg

Finally, here's the model number info from the Hella reflectors that I received. I'm suspicious that Susquehanna MotorSorts may have simply shipped the wrong reflectors with the kit. But I wanted to check and see if others who have replaced the headlights and/or reflectors in their pre-2012 JKs could confirm that there were no changes.

http://www.packnet.net/jeep/reflector-hella-model.jpg

One of three things is going on here, and I would appreciate any help you guys can provide:

1) The 2012 JK has a new headlight mount and requires different reflectors than previous models
2) Susquehanna MotorSports (rallylights.com) sent the wrong Hella reflectors with the kit
3) Off A Cough is an idiot and is missing something obvious here.

Multiple choice is an acceptable option :p

Help is much appreciated. I'm already disappointed that I blew an hour taking things apart only to return them to original form - which means crappy OEM headlights. Deer season is coming up and I need decent lights... not only do I miss the auxiliary lights on my TJ, quite honestly the Silverstar sealed-beam lights I put on it are better than the H13s in the JK with those ultra-crappy reflectors. I want to get this wrapped up quickly, and I am already looking at another week. :banghead:

Hilldweller 09-25-2011 05:31 AM

Did you try rotating the Hellas around until they fit? They should...
The 7" rings are usually universal.
Just the tip-top tabs on the Hellas will rest in the detents on the black ring. It should line up and then you reuse the chrome retainer and screws.

Granted, I haven't seen a '12 yet in person. Maybe I can remedy that today...

krutj 09-25-2011 11:09 AM

The part # is correct, it's the same # on mine. They fit perfectly on my '09.

Let the tabs on the Hellas sit in the notches of the light can and put the retaining ring on, it'll work...it looks the same as mine.

Just hold the lens in place(seated in the notches) place the ring around the lens, line up the holes and replace the screws....

If you zip tie the harness good, you don't have to worry too much about hard mounting the relays, if you need more help, PM me or Hilldweller.

I also have a write up in the FAQ, with pics.

off a cough 09-25-2011 08:48 PM

OK, the correct answer is #3, Off A Cough is an idiot. :banghead:

You are correct, although the mounting points are clearly different they do line up and mount.

This is not my first rodeo with regards to after-market and even some minor fabricating on a Jeep. This was a pretty silly miss on my part. The lesson here is to not let the fear of 2012 differences lead you to rule out the obvious.

Thanks, guys.

Edit: BTW, I've only been able to test these in the rain, but WOW what an improvement. Highly recommended.

MTH 09-25-2011 09:46 PM

Man . . . I was all ready to offer to take that upgrade kit off your hands for you and put it to good use in my 2010 . . .

So I still say nonsense--you are no idiot good sir. That kit in fact doesn't fit. Go with your first instinct, evidence to the contrary be damned.

Now, I've got a crisp $20 bill here for you if you'll be so kind as to send it my way. :D

off a cough 09-25-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 1603207)
Man . . . I was all ready to offer to take that upgrade kit off your hands for you and put it to good use in my 2010 . . .

So I still say nonsense--you are no idiot good sir. That kit in fact doesn't fit. Go with your first instinct, evidence to the contrary be damned.

Now, I've got a crisp $20 bill here for you if you'll be so kind as to send it my way. :D

:rofl:

:thumb:

bo9roadking 09-26-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off a cough (Post 1602948)
BTW, I've only been able to test these in the rain, but WOW what an improvement. Highly recommended.

Let us know how you like them under normal night time driving conditions. I don't have a problem with the stock lighting, but maybe I'm missing something. If these lights are a major improvement, then I'll look into this upgrade.

krutj 09-26-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bo9roadking (Post 1604028)
Let us know how you like them under normal night time driving conditions. I don't have a problem with the stock lighting, but maybe I'm missing something. If these lights are a major improvement, then I'll look into this upgrade.

These or the Cibies are a huge improvement over stock.....I've had both in all weather conditions, don't remember the last time that I turned on my aux. lights, don't need them.....:thumb:

TRubicon 09-29-2011 02:37 PM

Review

Off a Cough...

Can you follow up with impressions since it has been a few days...

Thanks,

Ed.

off a cough 09-29-2011 02:44 PM

The lights are a HUGE improvement over stock, and well worth the money.

The field of view is much wider - peripheral vision is much improved, which is a big safety issue as we approach the deer rut, especially. The distance of gaze has increased dramatically.

The lighting right in front of the vehicle - right that hoodline from the eye's perspective of where the road is - has much improved. This is a big benefit in driving at night and in the rain. I normally rely on fogs here, I've historically had a problem seeing at night in the rain, despite good vision. Turns out, it was bad headlights.

The color temperature seems "hotter", if I'm saying that right - it is a much whiter look. There is not much glare, however.

I strongly recommend this kit.

krutj 09-29-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off a cough (Post 1614557)

I've been preachin' this for a long time...^^^

When you get some extra cash, try out the Cibies, they are even better....

What bulbs did you get?

Meatco1 09-29-2011 03:11 PM

I thought Daniel Stearn no longer had any stock of the Cibie lights for the JKs. Has something changed since I last spoke to him?

Respects,

Richard

off a cough 09-29-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 1614605)
I've been preachin' this for a long time...^^^

When you get some extra cash, try out the Cibies, they are even better....

What bulbs did you get?

I upgraded to the Phillips X-Treme +80 bulbs and would recommend them as part of the kit.

Mabar 09-29-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

BTW, I've only been able to test these in the rain, but WOW what an improvement. Highly recommended.
I agree. The Hellas + Philips XTremes + Rally Lights harness is a HUGE improvement.

On my 2011 Ruby, I first changed over to Philips X-Treme, H13 bulbs. This was an improvement over the factory bulbs, but still left a LOT to be desired, because of the poor factory reflectors.

I installed the rallylights kit a couple of months ago, and WOW!

Just saying that the Hellas described above are a HUGE improvement is actually an understatement!

Mabar

TRubicon 09-30-2011 06:14 AM

Thanks guys.....

One question..does anyone have an expected life span of the Phillips bulbs?

Hilldweller 09-30-2011 07:20 AM

Daniel Stern still has Cibies, just not Cibie Z-Beams. The standard Cibie reflector works better than the Hellas except for straight-line performance. The Hellas also shoot a little too much foreground light; that's great for slow-speed but not for highway...

The Phillips XP bulbs can last you anywhere from 5 months to 2 years; it depends on how much you use them, how you treat them, if they were clean when installed, and other middling factors. It's a good practice to replace them before they blow anyhow; all halogen bulbs get dimmer with age ---- and it's never fun to have one blow on you when you need it.

bo9roadking 09-30-2011 09:10 AM

I didn't think there was a problem with my 2012 headlights until I was driving down a 4 lane road early yesterday morning and my wife was in her car driving next to me. Her lights washed mine out and it was if I didn't have my lights on. I ordered a set of these lights this morning. Maybe now I won't have to strain my eyes so much looking for Texas deer when I'm driving to work in the mornings.

TRubicon 09-30-2011 12:42 PM

Called Susquehanna Motorsports ordered the Rallylights H4 conversion kit with the Phillips bulbs. I talked to Dave there, and he was very cordial. I can't wait to get these installed.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and information...I am confident in my purchase.

Need to get my hoist up this weekend.

glowingghoul 10-01-2011 04:32 PM

Welcome to the new, "sensitive" Marine Corps.

krutj 10-02-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowingghoul (Post 1619804)
welcome to the new, "sensitive" marine corps.

huh..?

bo9roadking 10-03-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowingghoul (Post 1619804)
Welcome to the new, "sensitive" Marine Corps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 1620917)
huh..?

There was a picture posted that apparently has been removed. It was posted in a bunch of threads. I think he was referring to it. The picture looked like a marine from the neck up with oprah winfrey's face wearing a lot of makeup and bright red lipstick.

krutj 10-03-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bo9roadking (Post 1623380)
There was a picture posted that apparently has been removed. It was posted in a bunch of threads. I think he was referring to it. The picture looked like a marine from the neck up with oprah winfrey's face wearing a lot of makeup and bright red lipstick.

Thanks, I missed it....

TRubicon 10-09-2011 03:54 PM

Got em and installed them today with harness and Phillip bulbs...waiting for the sun to set...they look much better than the bubbly stock lights....

Install was pretty easy.

Mabar 10-09-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRubicon (Post 1640941)
Got em and installed them today with harness and Phillip bulbs...waiting for the sun to set...they look much better than the bubbly stock lights....

Install was pretty easy.

Wait for dark. Make sure they are aligned properly.

You will LOVE the new Hella/Harnes/Phillips Bulbs headlight system!

Mabar

bo9roadking 10-09-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off a cough (Post 1614557)

The field of view is much wider - peripheral vision is much improved, which is a big safety issue as we approach the deer rut, especially. The distance of gaze has increased dramatically.

The lighting right in front of the vehicle - right that hoodline from the eye's perspective of where the road is - has much improved. This is a big benefit in driving at night and in the rain. I normally rely on fogs here, I've historically had a problem seeing at night in the rain, despite good vision. Turns out, it was bad headlights.

The color temperature seems "hotter", if I'm saying that right - it is a much whiter look. There is not much glare, however.

+1

Well I installed a set of these Hella headlights that I ordered from Rallylights.com and the installation was extremely simple. I ran the passenger headlight wiring harness and the power wiring harness for the relays along the passenger's side of the engine compartment to the passenger headlight. I ran the driver's side wiring harness behind the engine along the firewall with the Jeep's factory wiring harness and then down the driver's side of the engine compartment to the driver's side headlight. I mounted the power relays next to the battery and then connected the positive and negative wires to the battery. I connected up the new headlights to the new wires and put the grill back on.

When night time hit, I was riding around to check out the lights. WOW!!! I couldn't believe how much better the road was lit up. Not only do the lights look better on the Jeep, they are made from glass with a metal reflector unlike the stock plastic ones that came on the Jeep. With the Philips Extreme bulbs, they work almost as well as the HID lights in my car. I still need to check my headlight alignment, but I'm hoping that there isn't much adjustment needed since I didn't move the headlight position during the install.

bbrown626 10-09-2011 08:26 PM

I am running my H4's with Hella 100/80 bulbs. AWSOME light. Been out on a few evening drives and nobody is flashing me. The cutoff is pretty good.
The Hella bulbs are very affordable on Amazon. You can afford spares if concerned about them burning out early.

Best improvement to the Jeep so far.

Merlinn 10-12-2011 06:42 AM

I will be doing the upgrade Friday, Cibie headlights, Stern recommend Rallye 70/65 bulbs and Cibie Super Oscar driving lights with his recommend bulbs. The harness will turn on and off the driving lights with the high beams if they are switched on. Look forward to "seeing the light" as Stern states there will be MUCH more than ampel light!

Merlinn

bo9roadking 10-12-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlinn (Post 1650769)
I will be doing the upgrade Friday, Cibie headlights, Stern recommend Rallye 70/65 bulbs and Cibie Super Oscar driving lights with his recommend bulbs. The harness will turn on and off the driving lights with the high beams if they are switched on. Look forward to "seeing the light" as Stern states there will be MUCH more than ampel light!

Merlinn

Sounds like a nice setup. Do you have a part number for this or did you contact Stern and tell him what you wanted?

After installing my Rallylight Hella H4 setup for headlights, I'm wanting to do something like you are doing for driving lights that I'll mount to my front bumper. I like the idea of using the relays so that the lights come on using the factory headlight switches. I might add or ask Stern to add a secondary switch in the wiring harness to cut the power to the relay that powers the driving lights for times when I want high beam lights, but no driving lights.

krutj 10-12-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bo9roadking (Post 1651230)
Sounds like a nice setup. Do you have a part number for this or did you contact Stern and tell him what you wanted?

After installing my Rallylight Hella H4 setup for headlights, I'm wanting to do something like you are doing for driving lights that I'll mount to my front bumper. I like the idea of using the relays so that the lights come on using the factory headlight switches. I might add or ask Stern to add a secondary switch in the wiring harness to cut the power to the relay that powers the driving lights for times when I want high beam lights, but no driving lights.

Rallylights.com(Susquehanna) can build you anything you want also, I've been talking to them about some custom work too. All they need is measurements and some other details....pretty reasonable too.:thumb:

Merlinn 10-12-2011 12:48 PM

Actually it started as a recommendation from Hilldweller. Then worked it out with Stern to get the lights ordered and the harness built. Should be nice, all high quality components.

Merlinn