Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 Needs its own Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-needs-its-own-tech-forum-114743.html)

TxF150 09-26-2011 11:08 AM

2012 Needs its own Tech Forum
 
Mods, can we please get the 2012 PentaStar owners their own Tech forum?

I have to sift thru endless banter of "2012 this" or "2012 that" to finally find something that may refer to my 2011 model.

With as much traffic as their is on this forum regarding the holiness and questions about the 2012 Jeep Wrangler, they really need their own Tech forum. Maybe call it the JK "P" or something, I dunno...:popcorn:

Just a suggestion to maybe ease the "2012" traffic jam on the site

daggo66 09-26-2011 11:11 AM

99% of it applies to all JK's. Furthermore, why would you not want to learn something new? Maybe we should elimate 2011's as well because all of your issues with steering wheel controls not working don't apply to me. Funny thing is that the guy who came up with the fix has a '09.

TxF150 09-26-2011 11:13 AM

Still searching for the loads of threads about the "2011" model specifically. When you find those, at least in the first several pages, let me know. Until then, I stand by my suggestion.

Mac2411 09-26-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxF150 (Post 1604289)
Still searching for the loads of threads about the "2011" model specifically. When you find those, at least in the first several pages, let me know.

So are you suggesting that each model year should have is own forum? I don't think that would be a very good approach.

I own a 2010 and I see nothing wrong with keeping the 2012's in the same forum. They are JK's after all. In any event, the "new" will eventually wear off of all of this and things will go back to "normal," whatever that is. Just my opinion, of course.

TxF150 09-26-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac2411 (Post 1604304)
So are you suggesting that each model year should have is own forum? I don't think that would be a very good approach.

I own a 2010 and I see nothing wrong with keeping the 2012's in the same forum. They are JK's after all. In any event, the "new" will eventually wear off of all of this and things will go back to "normal," whatever that is. Just my opinion, of course.

I know they are still JK's. No problem there. I joined this site in 2010 and cannot remember this much traffic being generated from 2010 to the 2011 model. :confused:

I hope you are right, I really hope the new wears off. Because if not, and this is going to be the norm for a while down teh road, I may have to take a vacation from this great forum until things settle down. Guess I am just taking it as the "New JK" deserves its own Tech Forum since it is pretty popular regarding questions and such. I am not into playing semantics either, btw. Everyone can have their opinion, just like I can. Anyone that looks at the first page of this Tech Forum knows damn good and well what I am referring to. Maybe I am still too new to this "bloggin" or whatever you call it....

tjt94 09-26-2011 11:37 AM

I am a newbie here and just bought an '09 two door. I have looked around at the various forums that provide actual technical information and ideas. There is no possibility that I will be buying a '12 so the tech info for the Pentastar is of no consequence to my needs. I have found that other forums are maybe a little better suited to my more specific interests and technical needs so I too will likely spend more time there. This is a good forum for some things but maybe not the best for me.

TxF150 09-26-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjt94 (Post 1604327)
I am a newbie here and just bought an '09 two door. I have looked around at the various forums that provide actual technical information and ideas. There is no possibility that I will be buying a '12 so the tech info for the Pentastar is of no consequence to my needs. I have found that other forums are maybe a little better suited to my more specific interests and technical needs so I too will likely spend more time there. This is a good forum for some things but maybe not the best for me.

Pretty mcuh where I am at with this

kjeeper10 09-26-2011 12:17 PM

I agree totally.

It was mentioned before and shot down.

I know they are all JK's and the point of "well the 2.5 and 4.0 Tj shares a section"

Ya but-- the buyer had a choice between the 2 engines and they were both similar inline engines available during the same MY's
The Pstar along with AT are new to the wrangler and totally different from previous model years and the 3.8

Doit please :)

MTH 09-26-2011 12:32 PM

I will always disagree with this.

The 2012 hype train is just in full force now. However, the fact remains that history will view a JK is a JK, albeit some with one engine/trans while some come with another. The TJ guys have folks in their forum with a 2.5 and a 4.0, and they don't break it out separately.

Just be patient. And--by all means--POST some stuff about your mods for chrissakes! DO SOMETHING that's not 2011 v. 2012 related, and post about it. I've got a pretty sweet door hinge one coming soon . . . . :D

Up Hill Bill 09-26-2011 12:34 PM

Splitter!

kjeeper10 09-26-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH
I will always disagree with this.

The 2012 hype train is just in full force now. However, the fact remains that history will view a JK is a JK, albeit some with one engine/trans while some come with another. The TJ guys have folks in their forum with a 2.5 and a 4.0, and they don't break it out separately.

Just be patient. And--by all means--POST some stuff about your mods for chrissakes! DO SOMETHING that's not 2011 v. 2012 related, and post about it. I've got a pretty sweet door hinge one coming soon . . . . :D

The Tj 4.0 and 2.5 were available at the same time. That is my point I'm trying to make :)

OutlawJK 09-26-2011 12:50 PM

Have your heard how great the 2012 PENTASTAR tows with an AUTO:dance:

pulled my 3500lb boat and trailer yesterday up hills with the cruise control one and it maintained the 65MPH speed:punk:

is this the info you were looking for??:eek:

daggo66 09-26-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1604462)
The Tj 4.0 and 2.5 were available at the same time. That is my point I'm trying to make :)


OK, how about the YJ 4.2 and 4.0? Same situation. The 4.0 replaced the 4.2. :whistling:

oilwell1415 09-26-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1604487)
OK, how about the YJ 4.2 and 4.0? Same situation. The 4.0 replaced the 4.2. :whistling:

Aren't those basically the same engine with different bores and strokes?

I don't see what the big deal is. I do get annoyed digging through all the 2012 stuff trying to find something, but it really doesn't kill my forum experience. If we start a new forum for the 2012, maybe we should one for the 2011 as well since it got a new interior, or maybe the 2010 since it got a new foglight bulb? The foglight bulb change is actually far more annoying to my forum experience than the engine change. I've been searching for some fog light info for weeks and everytime I think I've found what I need it turns out to be for an 07-09 model.

Once the fever breaks things will be normal again, although since I've only been here a couple of months normal for me is having all the 2012 stuff on the forum.

Mac2411 09-26-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415 (Post 1604516)
Aren't those basically the same engine with different bores and strokes?

I don't see what the big deal is. I do get annoyed digging through all the 2012 stuff trying to find something, but it really doesn't kill my forum experience. If we start a new forum for the 2012, maybe we should one for the 2011 as well since it got a new interior, or maybe the 2010 since it got a new foglight bulb? The foglight bulb change is actually far more annoying to my forum experience than the engine change. I've been searching for some fog light info for weeks and everytime I think I've found what I need it turns out to be for an 07-09 model.

Once the fever breaks things will be normal again, although since I've only been here a couple of months normal for me is having all the 2012 stuff on the forum.


See there, I had no idea the 2010's got a fog light bulb different from the previous JK's. Dammit, I want a 2010 JK forum so I can talk about its fog lights to my heart's content. ;)

Seriously though, I understand where folks are coming from and their opinion is no less valid than my own. That said, there are almost always going to be changes from year to year. Some are more significant than others. In this case the JK got a significant powertrain "upgrade" in the form of a new engine and automatic transmission. That is a pretty big change and being so new folks are going to talk about it. There are all kinds of examples on this forum and others of duplicate or virtually duplicate threads jabbering on and on about the same topic. It can be annoying, but it doesn't justify, let alone call for, starting an entirely new subforum. Again, I believe the new will wear off of this and the number of threads discussing the "new" engine will thin as it becomes less "new."

ShaneDiddy 09-26-2011 01:38 PM

The body is the same basically...once people with 12's start modding you'll get what you want with general tech that applies to the older years...i would be talking about modding my 2010 jku but I sold it and am waiting for my 2012 2dr to come. If you got some 2011 stuff to talk about then post it.
I will agree that some of the threads may not belong in the tech forum but I do like having it all in one spot to read and learn.

rics1997 09-26-2011 01:53 PM

I wish there was more control on how many pre-2012 threads there was because it did clutter the forum where threads were merged or closed that should have been in already active threads. But the 2012 is still a JK and most of the Jeep is no different then the past years or at least the 2011 model. Hopefully the forum is getting back to normal and we can talk about which lift/tire/bumper is better. Because no matter what it boils down to:

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

No matter what year you have. MA - Mod Anonymous classes are now in session

kjeeper10 09-26-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

OK, how about the YJ 4.2 and 4.0? Same situation. The 4.0 replaced the 4.2. :whistling:

Yes, you took my point further :)

TxF150 09-26-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 1604632)
I wish there was more control on how many pre-2012 threads there was because it did clutter the forum where threads were merged or closed that should have been in already active threads. But the 2012 is still a JK and most of the Jeep is no different then the past years or at least the 2011 model. Hopefully the forum is getting back to normal and we can talk about which lift/tire/bumper is better. Because no matter what it boils down to:

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

No matter what year you have. MA - Mod Anonymous classes are now in session

yeah, that is what I thought too....as I read "2012 specific" type threads as the number 1 STICKY, then I see that the 07-11 is really a SEPARATE Jeep from the 2012, and many of the 2012 owners act as if they are too, so what would it hurt? :D

Again, right or wrong in any one of your opinion (obviously WRONG by some of your standards and I can accept that), I stand by my suggestion. No amount of ridicule will change my mind when the MAJORITY of threads are pertaining to the 2012 as if it were a different Jeep..... Keep em' coming!

OlllllO 09-26-2011 05:03 PM

My vote is for main forum by body line (CJ,TJ, JK), then sub forums for type of info you are looking for (engine, trans, suspension, etc). Electronics, tires, wheels get their own main forums with no sub forums. GM had lots of model/year engine/trans variations over the years....

--->>>> Corvette C6 - C1 Reviews, Performance, Parts For Sale - CorvetteForum.com

kik 09-26-2011 05:46 PM

On the YJ forum I deal with the 2.5, 4.0 and 4.2 and there is no problem. I also have a 10 Rubi and I like reading and understanding about the engine trans., and anything else in particular about the 11's or 12's. I know I'm glad that I don't have steering wheel controls for example and that the 3.6 maybe isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I like the option of being able to find out about it so my JK knowledge stays current.

tomthbomb 09-26-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilwell1415 (Post 1604516)
everytime I think I've found what I need it turns out to be for an 07-09 model.

Hey, I need that for my '07. Where is it?

Better yet let's have a retrofit fog light forum.

JIMBOX 09-26-2011 06:19 PM

:whistling: I think they should break the forum by 2dr or 4dr also-

Lets get real-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Rogerg 09-26-2011 06:20 PM

I feel the same way as the OP...same questions being asked over and over and sometimes i only reply because nobody else wants to LOL

I have blocked alot of threads and everyone of them are about 2012 topics.

Rogerg 09-26-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1605370)
:whistling: I think they should break the forum by 2dr or 4dr also-

Lets get real-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

And mall crawlers and off roaders

tjt94 09-26-2011 06:56 PM

An additional split should include those that use correct grammar and punctuation and those that can't.

tomthbomb 09-26-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg (Post 1605374)
I have blocked alot of threads and everyone of them are about 2012 topics.

This one slipped through.

JIMBOX 09-26-2011 07:23 PM

:thumb: DING-DING-DING-DING--


Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 1605533)
This one slipped through.

Give that jeeper a Kewpie doll-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

tomthbomb 09-26-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 1605571)
:thumb: DING-DING-DING-DING--




Give that jeeper a Kewpie doll-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

you got it!

kjeeper10 09-26-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX
:whistling: I think they should break the forum by 2dr or 4dr also-

Lets get real-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Unless I misunderstood you, I could of
swore you asked for the separation of the 2012 in a couple of your other post :confused:

Usually in frustration of a 2012 (er) gratifying his/her new 12 and how crappy and "underpowered" the pre 12's all are .

I actually was awaiting for you to chime in and agree.

Other posters-

you keep mentioning other engines in other years/models.

the 2.5 and 4.0 were the same inline type engine and the buyer chose when going sport or SE.

I don't know about 4.0 and 4.2.

The Pstar is a significant change and the way people talk about the 2012 as it's a whole different beast (and it is)

Not sure when this forum was started but it would of made sense to just make sub forums for CJ YJ TJ Jk and call it a day.

If the mods would have to jump through hoops to pull this off, I can see it not happening.

If not WHY NOT?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.