Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Need your opinons for a school project (Jeep Top) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/need-your-opinons-for-a-school-project-jeep-top-11489.html)

blueroo 09-15-2007 11:45 AM

Need your opinons for a school project (Jeep Top)
 
So in my business class my partner and I need to "create" a small business. We've decided to do something Jeep related and we want your opinions.

First Idea:
I've heard complaints that the hardtops available for Jeeps look like turtle shells. Most cases is because where as the softtops angle up from the windshield to the midline then angle down, the hardtops just go straight back.

So the thought was to build a fibgerglass hardtop that followed the basic shape of the softtop, and then cover it with a similar fabric used for the softtops thereby creating a hardtop with the look of the softop but the comfort of the hardtop...ie less windnoise.


Second Idea: Use a softop, but build it with similar construction to higher end convertibles, think five layers thereby making the interior compartment similar in noise levels to the hardtop and holding heat better in the winter while retaining the easier storage of the softtop. this softop could also use polycarbonate windows which would take to ice scrapers much better than the typical plastic.

So the question is this: Would you rather have a hardtop that looks like a softop yet performs like a hardtop....or would you rather have a softtop that retains the easier storage of a softop but offers the comfort of the hardtop?

Additionally, both the simulated softtop and the multilayered softtop would be similar in price to a typical hardtop.

Walkeraviator 09-15-2007 01:18 PM

I like the second idea.. but you should also look into security aspects of both tops.

Dare2BSquare 09-15-2007 01:29 PM

I'd rather see someone build a force field generator that would keep weather and vandals out of the jeep when there is NO TOP. That way, you would never have to have a top, or doors on your jeep!!!

richp 09-15-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 136831)
I'd rather see someone build a force field generator that would keep weather and vandals out of the jeep when there is NO TOP. That way, you would never have to have a top, or doors on your jeep!!!

x400

skeeter 09-15-2007 03:00 PM

A better soft top would be great, i got the bestop because everybody said it was the best, If Bestop is the best then I'd hate to see the others. I'm not all that impressed.

The stock hardtop is great except for being heavy, I don't see any benefit in making it look like a softtop.

dwdrums801 09-15-2007 03:45 PM

the reason why higher end convertables are quite is cause the fabric has alot of suport by cross beams so a better soft top would have to have more of a frame to it.....I was thinking like puttin flat bars between the material/ layers of the "super sorft top" and that would reduce the flapping and wind sound ....also i get alot of noise from the header of my soft top

id like to see a better soft top over the fake soft top

jherrin215 09-15-2007 06:13 PM

Yeah I would much rather have a better soft top than a hard top that looks soft.

antwon412 09-15-2007 06:59 PM

if we had a better soft top, most of us wouldn't need a hardtop. i would love to have a soft top so nice that i didnt have to store my hard top in th garage.

while you're at it, can you make it so it can be folded sown with the side and rear windows still attached? and be less then $200 :)

Levinoss 09-15-2007 08:06 PM

Second Idea is best.

But if you could design a hard-top that broke down enough that you could pile all the parts in the back would be great.

~Lev

4Jeepn 09-15-2007 09:43 PM

Okay, here is how I see it. Don't go with either, very small market for custom hardtop/softtop. Your going up vs bestop, jeep, and everyone and their brother who makes that sort of product. Pick a jeep product that no one else has or there is little competition, for example.. a complete kit that replaces all the torx bolts on your jeep with std bolts.

reddirtdog 09-15-2007 09:52 PM

hardtop
 
I like the hard top better than the soft top,in my opinion it's easier to take off and put on. The only thing I wish the hard top had some kind insulation on it, just as soon as the air is turned off it's like being in a oven!

Levinoss 09-15-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 136949)
Okay, here is how I see it. Don't go with either, very small market for custom hardtop/softtop. Your going up vs bestop, jeep, and everyone and their brother who makes that sort of product. Pick a jeep product that no one else has or there is little competition, for example.. a complete kit that replaces all the torx bolts on your jeep with std bolts.

Thats a good idea

~Lev

dwdrums801 09-15-2007 11:05 PM

i would buy a kit to change all the torx screws in the heap in a sec.....I HATE THOSE DAM THINGS!

Walkeraviator 09-16-2007 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 136840)
A better soft top would be great, i got the bestop because everybody said it was the best, If Bestop is the best then I'd hate to see the others. I'm not all that impressed.

The stock hardtop is great except for being heavy, I don't see any benefit in making it look like a softtop.

wy are you not so impressed with bestop?

skeeter 09-16-2007 08:58 AM

I expected more reinforcement in stress areas. some of the hardware didn't fit right. the windows scratch if you look at em wrong. some simple velcro straps could prevent much of the flapping.
It works and looks decent, but from the praise I've read I expected more.

debruins 09-16-2007 12:05 PM

the soft top idea is great, but if your actually gonna start a business here, it will probabaly fail

lost 09-16-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 136934)
Second Idea is best.

But if you could design a hard-top that broke down enough that you could pile all the parts in the back would be great.

~Lev

and that wouldnt leak

Tj Bunch 09-16-2007 10:37 PM

a top kinda like the cover the Chevy avalanche uses for the bed multi pieces and weather proof.

Levinoss 09-16-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost (Post 137105)
and that wouldnt leak

If it was designed well then it wouldn't

~Lev


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.