Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Dash speaker replacement (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/dash-speaker-replacement-115193.html)

EchoThruMe 09-28-2011 04:55 PM

Dash speaker replacement
 
I am about to order some speakers to replace my dash speaker as well as top mount tweeter. In your opinion, should I just get an all in one speaker and leave the top tweeter as is or should I go with a component set and replace both?

I am going with these (Polk Audio db651s) overhead and was thinking that I should just get two sets and put the same in the dash as well. I can get them for a steal on amazon and they can get wet which is sweet.

Give me your opinion please. :dance:

2012-Rubicon 09-28-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoThruMe
I am about to order some speakers to replace my dash speaker as well as top mount tweeter. In your opinion, should I just get an all in one speaker and leave the top tweeter as is or should I go with a component set and replace both?

I am going with these (Polk Audio db651s) overhead and was thinking that I should just get two sets and put the same in the dash as well. I can get them for a steal on amazon and they can get wet which is sweet.

Give me your opinion please. :dance:

No, get a matched component set woofer and tweeter for the front. That's where you want to spend your money

EchoThruMe 09-28-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-Rubicon (Post 1611984)
No, get a matched component set woofer and tweeter for the front. That's where you want to spend your money

Where do I store the small box that connects the tweeter with the woofer? Will it fit inside of the dash? I am not familiar with component speaker sets. :doh:

2012-Rubicon 09-28-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoThruMe

Where do I store the small box that connects the tweeter with the woofer? Will it fit inside of the dash? I am not familiar with component speaker sets. :doh:

Yes usually you can find a place, or get a a set like the alpine sps600c that has the cap for the tweeter inline. Not sure about size or fitment in the jk's though. Haven't had much experience with them, got out of car audio in 2010 and no one had brought one to my shop for anything other than a remote starter or heated seats!

EchoThruMe 09-28-2011 05:11 PM

Thanks.

bbrown626 09-28-2011 09:47 PM

Check Kicker DS6.2 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com crutchfield. they have notes about the fitment.

BigDaddydaycare 09-29-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrown626
Check Kicker DS6.2 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com crutchfield. they have notes about the fitment.

I'm looking to replace my speakers also. Need a little more bass than what the stock offers. I was gonna get a small Bazooka tube for the back, but these may give me some better sound. Has anyone tried these kickers in the jeep? How's the sound? Thanks

2012-Rubicon 09-29-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddydaycare

I'm looking to replace my speakers also. Need a little more bass than what the stock offers. I was gonna get a small Bazooka tube for the back, but these may give me some better sound. Has anyone tried these kickers in the jeep? How's the sound? Thanks

I don't know abort the kickers but I know unless you like muddy bass I would steer away from bazooka tubes. Never been impressed with them.

derfC 09-29-2011 09:34 AM

+1 to tubes.... adds more 'thud' than 'thump' to your sound.


IMO, the stock head unit is the biggest issue. The rear channel is so quiet that back seat passengers can barely hear it & replacing the soundbar speakers doesn't help much. A sub helps a bit, but it's still lacking.

I recently installed a Pioneer AVH-2300 (double-din DVD) & the difference is HUGE. My dash speakers came alive & I can finally hear something coming from the soundbar! I get decent bass out of the fronts (soundbar speakers don't fare as well due to their enclosure), but will be adding a powered sub very soon anyways.

FYI, if you opt for the Polks, you will definitely want to also add a sub. I've used Polk speakers for years & while they sound spectacular, you won't get much low end out of them.

cfin23 09-29-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddydaycare (Post 1613568)
I'm looking to replace my speakers also. Need a little more bass than what the stock offers. I was gonna get a small Bazooka tube for the back, but these may give me some better sound. Has anyone tried these kickers in the jeep? How's the sound? Thanks

I just put Kickers in my 2011 JK Sport about two weeks ago along with a Pioneer double din CD/DVD player. Sounds 10X better than stock. I can actually hear sound from the sound bar speakers now.

BigDaddydaycare 09-29-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfin23

I just put Kickers in my 2011 JK Sport about two weeks ago along with a Pioneer double din CD/DVD player. Sounds 10X better than stock. I can actually hear sound from the sound bar speakers now.

Did you go with the component kickers with the tweeter? If so do they give a decent amount of bass or will you be adding a small sub? Thinking I might try out the components and add a small amp to them and keep the stock radio. Not sure what route I will go. I don't want a Lot of bass, but some would be nice.

edub707 09-30-2011 12:24 AM

kicker speakers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddydaycare (Post 1613568)
I'm looking to replace my speakers also. Need a little more bass than what the stock offers. I was gonna get a small Bazooka tube for the back, but these may give me some better sound. Has anyone tried these kickers in the jeep? How's the sound? Thanks

i got the kicker ds60 for the front and the kicker ks6.2 for the soundbar was able to put the crossover in the soundbar. i got a infinity basslink subwoofer for the back system sounds good for a little over 400 bucks and some time to install it. dont expect whole bunch out of the soundbar without an amp though. i dont want to do the whole amp thing dont want to take out the factory head unit. that would be a big job. you can see pics of the sub in my profile.

edub707 09-30-2011 12:28 AM

oh i guess i should tell you i got the kickers on crutchfield. best price i could find and it came with the adapters to fit in the jeep. the front ones needed a tiny bit of cutting and they also come with the stock speaker wire adapters so you dont have to cut the stock ones. i got the infinity basslink on ebay that was the best price i could find for that. you can decide if you want the basslink 1 or 2. i have 2 kicker mopar 10s in my challenger not that good wish i would have just put the basslink in as in the jeep it sounds great

cfin23 10-03-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddydaycare (Post 1616148)
Did you go with the component kickers with the tweeter? If so do they give a decent amount of bass or will you be adding a small sub? Thinking I might try out the components and add a small amp to them and keep the stock radio. Not sure what route I will go. I don't want a Lot of bass, but some would be nice.

Yes i went with the component with the tweeter. In my opinion they dont give off enough bass. They sound great and have more bass than stock, but u think that a small sub will be needed as well.

2012-Rubicon 10-03-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfin23

Yes i went with the component with the tweeter. In my opinion they dont give off enough bass. They sound great and have more bass than stock, but u think that a small sub will be needed as well.

Aftermarket component speakers are designed to produce mid-bass. If you are looking for more "bass" then you are looking for sub-bass and would probably benefit from a sub-woofer.

cfin23 10-03-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfin23 (Post 1623991)
Yes i went with the component with the tweeter. In my opinion they dont give off enough bass. They sound great and have more bass than stock, but u think that a small sub will be needed as well.

I meant to say ",but I think that a small sub will be needed as well" Whoops


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.