Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Air conditioning (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/air-conditioning-115785.html)

BrokeRugger 10-02-2011 06:24 PM

Air conditioning

What's the difference between the regular a/c and the the one with temperature control besides the obvious? In the description for the a/c with temp control it says it has air filtering. Does this mean the regular does not filter the air?

XPADREX 10-02-2011 07:30 PM

Correct... the climate control/option hasba replaceable filter. The bare bones type like mine, does not.

One you set a thermost for. Mine, I am the thermostat amd have to reach all the way over to the center console to turn the knob.

No matter which, I had to have the basic for the defrost function. All else to me was gadgetry.

Up Hill Bill 10-02-2011 07:40 PM

2012 Wranglers without automatic temperature control can easily and very inexpensively install cabin air filters in the existing filter housings behind the easy to remove glove box. Don't buy the auto temp option just for cabin air filtering. We didn't know, when I ordered in early June, that this was the case. No way I would have paid for this if I had known what you now know!

oilwell1415 10-02-2011 07:44 PM

Don't let the missing filters in the base AC scare you off, the filters cost $7 and take less than 5 minutes to install.

Usually these systems are the same other than the electronic controls. Historically, auto temp control systems are a maintenance and repair nightmare. Since they automatically adjust the temperature the blend doors see about 100 times more wear than the normal system because they are moving constantly instead of just when you adjust the temp. The cost of replacing one is usually pretty steep as well.

KSCRUDE 10-02-2011 07:49 PM

If you have remote start, the auto temp control is a must have. Otherwise your car will not acclimate near as fast or efficiently. Always the right temp summer or winter!

XPADREX 10-02-2011 07:53 PM

Btw, I did not know that you could put the filters in a 2011 later jk until today.

ezymount 10-02-2011 08:01 PM

Filter or Not ?

my JK does not, but my Toy Tundra does, and if I let it go too long without changing, it starts putting out a musty smell into the cabin. I could do without that, as I am not sure I would ever no the diff, if I had a filter or did not.. I've been driving for going on 48 years now, and never had a filter before.
I'm sure it is better for your health in the long run ? :doh:

Silverton34 10-02-2011 08:02 PM

My 2012 JKUR does not have auto temp but does have the filters. Maybe it is a Rubicon thing?

Up Hill Bill 10-02-2011 08:05 PM

Here's how:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/add...ml#post1593719

panthermark 10-02-2011 09:19 PM

Is the fan motor any different with auto temp? Better resistor pack or anything?

oilwell1415 10-02-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 1622237)
Is the fan motor any different with auto temp? Better resistor pack or anything?

Auto temp control usually doesn't have a resistor pack, it's usually a solidstate controller built to handle slightly lower amperage than the motor draws. I can't tell you how many of those controllers I've replaced. I don't know if the one on the Wrangler is the same as the one on the Cherokee or not, but the Cherokee is well known for melting the fan controller and wiring harness and it's over $1000 to replace those two components because the whole thing has to come apart to replace them. I think they hang the harness and controller from the assembly line with bailing wire and start bolting on parts.

BrokeRugger 10-03-2011 12:08 PM

thanks

thanks for the responses. rather have one less expense and/or thing to break when i order this.
Thanks to all.

panthermark 10-03-2011 12:31 PM

^Yeah...I'm going to order without it as well. Someone else had posted that the climate control on these can be problematic. Saves me $138 (invoice)....but it also starting the limit the reasons why I should get a Sahara over a Sport S....

foo.c 10-03-2011 01:17 PM

You can operate it in manual modes, you don't have to leave it on auto.

oilwell1415 10-03-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foo.c (Post 1623841)
You can operate it in manual modes, you don't have to leave it on auto.

Until it eats itself, which it will, and then you are stuck with whatever it wants you to have. Typically this is full hot air from the dash vents in summer and freezing cold air from the floor and defrost in the winter.