Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Picking a Camper up after work...Ideas? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/picking-a-camper-up-after-work-ideas-115891.html)

Cons_Table 10-03-2011 12:44 PM

Picking a Camper up after work...Ideas?

Hey Everyone,

So the wife and I came across a small camper that my mom was gonna buy (she found another one) and thought that it was the perfect size for the two of us, and another person (or the dogs) and still easy to haul behind the jeep. I will be picking it up after work, so you all will have to wait on pics ;).

Anyways although old, you would never guess it because it has been kept in pretty good condition. It is a 1955 camper. We are trying to think of some ideas to kind of customize it with a theme maybe inside...but we are kind of stuck on ideas. What do you guys think would be cool? Take into consideration that I dont want it to be too girly but she doesnt wanna be staying in a man cave either haha.

Lastly, Its got a paint job...a couple years old that is kinda retro. It is white with a very bright blue stripe around it, and I was trying to decide on a new way to paint it or maybe just change the color of the stripe to mellow it out some. (This will all make more sense when I post a pic up). Any thoughts on colors?

Thanks guys...it should be a fun little project.

Here is a pic of my jeep (for ideas on colors for the trailer).
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5016797_n.jpg

IndyJeepMan 10-03-2011 12:49 PM

Whats goin on man!

Sounds sweet, id personally paint it to match the outside and if you could get similar sized tires like 33"s in AT's to match! Let her style the inside, but keep a close eye on her lol.

Then you can mount jerry can holders, spare tire carrier whatever to the trailer if you wanted. Also does it have a pintle?

Cons_Table 10-03-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 1623793)
Whats goin on man!

Sounds sweet, id personally paint it to match the outside and if you could get similar sized tires like 33"s in AT's to match! Let her style the inside, but keep a close eye on her lol.

Then you can mount jerry can holders, spare tire carrier whatever to the trailer if you wanted. Also does it have a pintle?

I would love to get it up off the ground off like that but itd take some work, and may look a little odd just because of the kind of camper it is. It wont be a trail camper, just set up at base camp. Any rural camping will just be in a tent lol. So the actual "need" for large tires and a pintle wont be necessary. Just to help with and idea of the "style" of trailer...the one we are getting is in much better shape though

http://www.tincantourists.com/classi...ainbow_091.jpg

IndyJeepMan 10-03-2011 01:41 PM

Oh damn, that bad boy is bigger than I thought! I had a small teardrop trailer in my mind lol.

Well id paint it the dark blue and black where the white is, or vice versa, and paint the rims black!

Cons_Table 10-03-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 1623874)
Oh damn, that bad boy is bigger than I thought! I had a small teardrop trailer in my mind lol.

Well id paint it the dark blue and black where the white is, or vice versa, and paint the rims black!

Ya its a comfortable fit for 2 people and a couple large dogs or 3 people. Stove, table, lots of storage, ice box...Its probably close to the size of the jeep, but still light enough to haul. I will post pics of the one we get this evening. Ours is also all white with the blue stripe splitting it down the middle on the sides. But hmmm...blue and black...:popcorn:

Cons_Table 10-03-2011 10:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple exterior pics! Ideas guys?

Tery TJ 10-04-2011 08:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Cons
I use to have many campers.Just like the one in
your pic.Some of the best memories I can think of.
I have painted, remoldled many as a hobby.I loved it.
I also made $ doing it.
Lets see if I can dig up some photos for you.

Tery TJ 10-04-2011 08:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
few more ideas

Tery TJ 10-04-2011 09:45 AM

Theses are not my pics btw i stole theses

Cons_Table 10-04-2011 09:56 AM

Very cool. I knew there had to be someone on this forum that had done this before!

Tery TJ 10-04-2011 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
nice curtain pics

Cons_Table 10-04-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tery TJ (Post 1626607)
nice curtain pics

I was curious what was on those curtains. Those are pretty cool. My wife has been talking about a "cabin" theme, with like bears and stuff.

Cons_Table 10-04-2011 07:12 PM

No other campin/camper jeepers out there :whistling:?

aelwero 10-04-2011 07:19 PM

lol, me n the family are "primitive" campin types... you'll probably find that to be fairly common among jeep people ;)

I've been seriously considering buying an old school bus and RV'in it though. Not so much as to have an RV, but more for the sake of the build...

Cons_Table 10-04-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero (Post 1627733)
lol, me n the family are "primitive" campin types... you'll probably find that to be fairly common among jeep people ;)

I've been seriously considering buying an old school bus and RV'in it though. Not so much as to have an RV, but more for the sake of the build...

Oh I like me some primitive camping as well dont get me wrong, but I like the convenience of the camper. Keep most of the stuff in the camper, hook up, and leave rather than fitting everything I can in the back of the jeep like a giant puzzle :rofl:. This will also allow me to bring dogs or others along if need be. Normally when I camp in the jeep there is no room for anything other than the gear in the back. I got the camper so I will have the option depending on the situation.

The bus RV would be pretty cool though :thumb:

aelwero 10-04-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 1627753)

The bus RV would be pretty cool though :thumb:

most people don't think so... I actually saw a 1945 Ford flathead 8 bus going for 10K like two years ago and let everybody telling me I was crazy change my mind...

friggin naysayers got me good :rolleyes: if i see another one it's gettin gotted quick.

Cons_Table 10-04-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero

most people don't think so... I actually saw a 1945 Ford flathead 8 bus going for 10K like two years ago and let everybody telling me I was crazy change my mind...

friggin naysayers got me good :rolleyes: if i see another one it's gettin gotted quick.

Haha. It happens. We all fall victim to the crowd at some point.

IndyJeepMan 10-04-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table

Haha. It happens. We all fall victim to the crowd at some point.

You can also look into a small teardrop, they are smaller and very basic but has the room to haul everything.

aelwero 10-04-2011 09:27 PM

those teardrops get cuh-razy :) I dig the style, but I gots 5 kids, so it just won't work... it's either tent city or a full up RV/bus

Cons_Table 10-04-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan

You can also look into a small teardrop, they are smaller and very basic but has the room to haul everything.

I think my wife would get claustrophobic in one of those lol. However, I wouldn't mind

bwdenman 10-04-2011 11:30 PM

Pop-up camper trailers are the way to go. My .02

Tery TJ 10-05-2011 07:30 AM

Con, you need a awning added it like adding another room.
When we had ours at the beach I would sleep outside
in a lawn chair w a beach towel.Perfect!

Tery TJ 10-05-2011 07:30 AM

What does ypur camper weight?

Redsand 10-05-2011 07:36 AM

x2 on the pop up, but i do like the old school one you got, maybe get that textured paint to make it look like moab:punk:i just wish the jeep rode as good without the camper as it does with

Cons_Table 10-05-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tery TJ
Con, you need a awning added it like adding another room.
When we had ours at the beach I would sleep outside
in a lawn chair w a beach towel.Perfect!

It's got an awning already :thumb: haven't pulled it down yet (its been windy since I bought it.) as far as weight, I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Cons_Table 10-05-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsand
x2 on the pop up, but i do like the old school one you got, maybe get that textured paint to make it look like moab:punk:i just wish the jeep rode as good without the camper as it does with

We had looked at a couple pop ups for sale, but they weren't in the best shape. That is what I originally wanted. Found this one and we were happy with it. They both had their ups and downs though. But yes, the trailer does pull nicely and makes the jeep ride well lol

Cons_Table 10-08-2011 03:48 AM

Just an update...just got done installing some new floor in the camper. The previous owners got kind of "peel and stick" happy. The table, floors and counter are covered in it...so I'm redoing it all with something nicer. I will post pics when I get it cleaned up inside and as we make improvements. :thumb:

CrazyBull 10-08-2011 07:56 AM

Wow thats big. At least the Jeep will carry the wind load. LOL Be neat to color it with your jeep and leave the top light so it wouldn't get hot then homey it up inside. Also throw an awning on it when you can't find trees for shade.

We're primitive campers also but we like atv's. I used to have a Fleetwood Expedition with a atv deck, popup but it would only carry one set of wheels. I have a 12 on order and I'm thinking of finding either a long trailer or wide to park 2 atvs in tandem or row wise, however with a popup ripped off of its original trailer and bedded on the atv trailer over the axle(s), however I can balance it. If the rails are high enough I would like to put 2-4 deep cycle batts underneath, with a 40 gallon water reservoir under the popup. and if the popup had wheel cutouts mount propane tanks in the wheelwells leaving the deck areas free for 2 atvs and/or cargo. Then paint it the cherry red, lift it on springs with some larger tires.

A tip, if you haven't used a camper before and you go out in cold weather, don't go electic/gas combined. Forced air drains a battery like you wouldn't believe if you don't have power hookups. Instead just go gas radiant heat and make sure you have cross airflow to vent in the event your pilot/flame goes out. I like the Mr Heater as it will run on a small propane bottle or from a tank. You can get 4-7 hrs out of a small bottle since you have good valve control with it and I have yet to have one go out on me unless it just ran the tank dry. Camping at Bryce I've used one inside a tent 8x8' when it was -5 and it kept me warm all night without so much heat output I had to worry about melting a bag or tent walls due to the temp control. But by all means avoid a heater like this : Amazon.com: Coleman SportCat PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater: Sports & Outdoors

turdhurdler 10-08-2011 10:41 AM

Hmmmm... I don't know Geoff, all that comfort and style. Next you will be showing up at the meet and greets with a full size truck with a 5th wheel. Spend all day at camp rather than wheeling... Have a satalite dish on the roof and a generator running all day and night to operate the heater or A/C units. Pretty soon, you will not even step outside cause its too "icky and dirty" at the camps. Poor Geoff. He has gone off to the dark side. We will miss you buddy.

Jeff

Cons_Table 10-08-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainynite
Wow thats big. At least the Jeep will carry the wind load. LOL Be neat to color it with your jeep and leave the top light so it wouldn't get hot then homey it up inside. Also throw an awning on it when you can't find trees for shade.

We're primitive campers also but we like atv's. I used to have a Fleetwood Expedition with a atv deck, popup but it would only carry one set of wheels. I have a 12 on order and I'm thinking of finding either a long trailer or wide to park 2 atvs in tandem or row wise, however with a popup ripped off of its original trailer and bedded on the atv trailer over the axle(s), however I can balance it. If the rails are high enough I would like to put 2-4 deep cycle batts underneath, with a 40 gallon water reservoir under the popup. and if the popup had wheel cutouts mount propane tanks in the wheelwells leaving the deck areas free for 2 atvs and/or cargo. Then paint it the cherry red, lift it on springs with some larger tires.

A tip, if you haven't used a camper before and you go out in cold weather, don't go electic/gas combined. Forced air drains a battery like you wouldn't believe if you don't have power hookups. Instead just go gas radiant heat and make sure you have cross airflow to vent in the event your pilot/flame goes out. I like the Mr Heater as it will run on a small propane bottle or from a tank. You can get 4-7 hrs out of a small bottle since you have good valve control with it and I have yet to have one go out on me unless it just ran the tank dry. Camping at Bryce I've used one inside a tent 8x8' when it was -5 and it kept me warm all night without so much heat output I had to worry about melting a bag or tent walls due to the temp control. But by all means avoid a heater like this : Amazon.com: Coleman SportCat PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater: Sports & Outdoors

Great info! Thank you :thumb: