Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Winch cause overheating? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/winch-cause-overheating-116268.html)

h2oman 10-05-2011 04:03 PM

Winch cause overheating?

A winch is on my mod list but in looking at mounts and options it appears that a winch will block at least 1/3 of the radiator surface area. It seems that in 100+ temps blocking the airflow is a bad idea. Anyone with a winch had any cooling issues or concerns?

JPWheelin 10-05-2011 04:12 PM

I saw this question come up and I don't recall anyone having any real issues with overheating, however if you would rather be sure not to cause a problem one solution is to get an off-road bumper where the winch is recessed. Lots of them have a recessed design (Lod, AEV, Mopar).

You can also check out something like this:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/my-...nch-87776.html

WatchThis! 10-05-2011 04:25 PM

I havent seen any JK's have overheating isues with a winch. Mine has been in the woods with no wind at all geting to the jeep going very slow for a few hours with the AC on and I havent had any problems at all on 100+ days. My jeep with the winch handels the high temps better then my 2001 chevy 1/2 ton ever thought of, and my truck dosent have a winch on it.

C.L. 10-05-2011 04:44 PM

The winch itself is usually fine. People run into issues using large vinyl/canvas covers that can flip up at speed and cover more of the grill.

WatchThis! 10-05-2011 08:53 PM

Ah never even thought about that, but then again I dont know anyone who runs a cover on a winch. The are kinda pointless to me. If you are scared of your winch geting wet or muddy maby you should have bought a better winch? IDK maby some folks run them for looks? Or I guess maby you might need one if ice is an issue during the winter?

NMRubicon 10-06-2011 12:39 AM

My winch sits down inside the bumper and doesn't block even a 1/4 of the grill. Mine has a cover, just to keep the sun off of the synthetic line, it is brutal here in the SW.

bo9roadking 10-06-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMRubicon (Post 1631747)
My winch sits down inside the bumper and doesn't block even a 1/4 of the grill. Mine has a cover, just to keep the sun off of the synthetic line, it is brutal here in the SW.

+1

I bought a cover for the same reason. I wanted to keep my synthetic line from degrading over time due to sun exposure.

h2oman 10-06-2011 05:08 PM

Thanks for the replys, seems a non-issue...I worry too much having a couple old Chevys that run hot for little or no reason. I will continue my winch hunt with wreckless abandon.

crashtestdummy 06-01-2015 11:08 AM

I have had overheating issues ever since I installed my winch. I've overhauled my cooling system but I still get hot at slow speeds. I'm not sure its my winch but I've replaced everything from my fan to my water pump. My winch mounts on top of mybumper and covers most of my grill

strmanglr 06-01-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 1631196)
Ah never even thought about that, but then again I dont know anyone who runs a cover on a winch. The are kinda pointless to me. If you are scared of your winch geting wet or muddy maby you should have bought a better winch? IDK maby some folks run them for looks? Or I guess maby you might need one if ice is an issue during the winter?

I would think the contrary, the more I spend the more I would want it protected. Snow, rain, hail, rocks kicked up, the trail of sand constantly following a semi, bird sheet, birds, insects-i trout fish-ever drive by a river when a hatch is going on? They can show up on radar. The elements shape rock. Why wouldn't you cover it? $15-20 at tsc.

Never had mine come off at all, elastic bottom. No overheating issues but mine is fairly well recessed. Put 4" auxiliary lights on top of bull bar, still no issues.

Barmanvarn 06-01-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashtestdummy (Post 19443161)
I have had overheating issues ever since I installed my winch. I've overhauled my cooling system but I still get hot at slow speeds. I'm not sure its my winch but I've replaced everything from my fan to my water pump. My winch mounts on top of mybumper and covers most of my grill

Have you tried removing the winch to see what happens?