Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Soon-to-be new owner of an '09 Ruby (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soon-to-be-new-owner-of-an-09-ruby-116277.html)

Merlin75 10-05-2011 04:40 PM

Soon-to-be new owner of an '09 Ruby

Hi there, first post, I guess I should've gone and done an intro post but I'm too excited with antici........ pation..

Anyways I've located the vehicle that fits all my wants, right down to color! It's a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited hard top, 6 speed, bone stock but all the bells and whistles. 35k miles which feels a bit high, the carfax report shows the first "owner" to be commercial, and 10k miles in the first three months, says it wasn't "fleet", rental or taxi so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not, the 2nd owner had it over a year and moved it from Cali to Nevada, now it's on the way back to Cali so I can determine if it's 100% what I want or not. I've run the VIN through Jeep Owners for recalls and it comes up empty, the only service record was the origination wash and detail at 6 miles, which also concerns me. Having come from driving a '95 GMC Sierra 4x4 and enjoying frequent trips to Anza Borrego for camping and out-of-the-way fun, I'm familiar with the fun of trails....

Now, my actual questions... I had no idea about hydrolock on a Jeep until yesterday reading this forum, yikes! Makes me want to buy a snorkel before it rains! (oh wait, I live in San Diego, it doesn't really rain here....) I'm very familiar with hydrolock as defined in the motorcycle world by gas getting into the engine due to faulty fuel tap and carb failure at the same time, but on a Jeep? ugh... scary!

Second, should I be concerned that there's no record of the suggested services being done? Being so close to 36k miles and getting it from a non-Jeep dealer, should my first order of business be to have a Jeep dealer look it over?

Third, what else should I be aware of besides hydrolock?

And lastly, it's coming from Carmax, they have a warranty that will cover me for five more years or until the Jeep hits 100k, their price on that is $1,700ish and gives me coverage for a $50 copay at any Carmax or $100 copay at any other location. Since it's not a Jeep dealer I assume it doesn't qualify as "certified pre-owned" so I'm wondering if there are any Jeep branded extended coverage options? and if those are really even worth it in the long run if I plan to use it as intended (sic. off-road)?

Thanks!

-Joseph

K6JPE

kjeeper10 10-05-2011 06:26 PM

Hydrolock is caused by water getting into the intake. The factory airbox will protect the jeep fine, just make sure the drains are clear from mud or debris.
I really don't think many here bought their jeep used. I bought my 07 3 months ago, I bought it from a jeep dealer with 35,000. Under 36,000 you should have a remaining factory warranty.
Best advice--ask questions, google the year and check all the TSB's available for the year. TSB's are not recalls so there is no guarantee that a problem got fixed.

Early 07-08's may have oil consumption problems. Some have it some don't. I really don't know how you would know.
Engine number, location built? Look into it.

Edit: ya, I don't know about certified for you. I seen someone here buy a jeep "certified" from a non jeep dealer so...

Just make sure they don't call it a certified
vehicle and raise the price, it does not really mean much... Just a gimmick.
I did go with a extended warranty through Chrysler.

Can't think of anything else.

Good luck.

daggo66 10-05-2011 06:37 PM

Service records aren't listed on carmax. If they were done at the dealer you can run the vin on jeep.com to see the service records.

Merlin75 10-05-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1630794)
Service records aren't listed on carmax. If they were done at the dealer you can run the vin on jeep.com to see the service records.

Right, I ran the VIN on jeep.com and only saw the carwash at 6 miles..
(A car wash is service? hmm... LoL)

kjeeper10 10-05-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin75

Right, I ran the VIN on jeep.com and only saw the carwash at 6 miles..
(A car wash is service? hmm... LoL)

What?.... Well at-least the paint should be good :)

NMRubicon 10-05-2011 07:32 PM

All I can say is........Congratulations!! I bought a used 2010 in July, only had 1900 miles on it, sold in May of 2011, traded in the end of June 2011. I love my Jeep!

kjeeper10 10-05-2011 07:33 PM

How bought Car fax?
Not all info sometimes but it's worth a look.

Mine did show periodic state inspections and dealer services records. Went in for the Fender snip (recall I think for brake lines) and shifter boot (TSB) along with the right wheel bearing or something like that replaced. Also all the dealer oil changes.

Merlin75 10-06-2011 03:11 PM

@kjeeper10 carfax shows 2 owners, first was listed as commercial and 3 months later a private owner, with 10k miles (that's 100 miles /day EVERY day for three months! yikes!)

Anyways... I just got word.. THE JEEP HAS ARRIVED!!!! They still have to get it smogged and whatnot to prepare for California sale, current guess is I can go check her out tomorrow afternoon... I'm gettin kinda excited! But anxious and nervous at the same time.. I haven't EVER spent this much money on a single item in my life!

kjeeper10 10-06-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

@kjeeper10 carfax shows 2 owners, first was listed as commercial and 3 months later a private owner, with 10k miles (that's 100 miles /day EVERY day for three months! yikes!)

Anyways... I just got word.. THE JEEP HAS ARRIVED!!!! They still have to get it smogged and whatnot to prepare for California sale, current guess is I can go check her out tomorrow afternoon... I'm gettin kinda excited! But anxious and nervous at the same time.. I haven't EVER spent this much money on a single item in my life!

Awesome, congrats :)

"highway miles" which means it was a street queen. Good for a off road vehicle. Unless he took daily trips to the Moab :)

I realized you did check out the Carfax in your first post :redface: :doh:

Post pics when you get her home :)

Merlin75 10-06-2011 04:28 PM

Definitely will post plenty of pics.
I'll go see her tomorrow and make my decision, I plan to have a good look at the underside, check for skid plates and any damage to them, etc..

Anything else I should be especially sure to check? I'm fairly certain it's bone stock.

kjeeper10 10-06-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Definitely will post plenty of pics.
I'll go see her tomorrow and make my decision, I plan to have a good look at the underside, check for skid plates and any damage to them, etc..

Anything else I should be especially sure to check? I'm fairly certain it's bone stock.

Drive it--obviously. A good dealership should hand you the keys and say "take your time, enjoy" had 2 that told me I had a half an hour and 1 wanted to drive with me (hell no) less likely to "test it out" lol
The dealership I bought from said I could take it for the night and bring back the next day :thumb: and that is what you want :)

Merlin75 10-06-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1633529)
Drive it--obviously. A good dealership should hand you the keys and say "take your time, enjoy" had 2 that told me I had a half an hour and 1 wanted to drive with me (hell no) less likely to "test it out" lol
The dealership I bought from said I could take it for the night and bring back the next day :thumb: and that is what you want :)

Yeah I don't think Carmax lets you take it without the sales people with you... But we'll see tomorrow! Guess it can't hurt to ask =)

Yozho 10-07-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin75 (Post 1633537)
Yeah I don't think Carmax lets you take it without the sales people with you... But we'll see tomorrow! Guess it can't hurt to ask =)

Better than that is that Carmax gives you a 5-day guarantee that if you are not satisfied bring it back no questions asked.

The fact that it was listed as 'commercial' with so many miles in such a short timeframe means that it could very well have been a rental in a previous life.

Also, that extended warranty quote from Carmax doesn't seem too bad. Since you will still be under the factory warranty till 36K miles, and under 36mos old, you can still pickup the Chrysler extended warranty from online or just about any dealer. Shop around.

kjeeper10 10-07-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yozho
Better than that is that Carmax gives you a 5-day guarantee that if you are not satisfied bring it back no questions asked.

The fact that it was listed as 'commercial' with so many miles in such a short timeframe means that it could very well have been a rental in a previous life.

Also, that extended warranty quote from Carmax doesn't seem too bad. Since you will still be under the factory warranty till 36K miles, and under 36mos old, you can still pickup the Chrysler extended warranty from online or just about any dealer. Shop around.

Yes..

I picked up the extended warranty for my 07 from Chryslers. Good or bad I don't no yet. You can look into EW's more if you like--there not for everybody. Argue the price, don't let them overcharge you. I got mine for around $1700, originally wanted to charge $2200 :eek: financed in with loan. Even you don't file a claim--it is refundable or transferable to the next owner for $150. Was told a great selling point but not too sure bout that :)

Merlin75 10-07-2011 08:02 AM

Got my hands on the build sheet!!!!
This seems to sat no Bluetooth (don't see connectivity group) am I wrong?
And I think I only see two skid plates on the sheet, I remember seeing there's supposed to be three?
Only has the hard top now even though sheet states dual top...
That said, this with 35k what's it worth? Kbb says 32k, edmunds says 30... Thanks!

Dear Joseph:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center in regards
to your 2009 Wrangler Unlimited.

We are pleased to provide vehicle build information per your request.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

Sales Code Description
*E5 Prem Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
-DD Dk Slate Gray/Med Slate Gray
AEM Dual Top Group
AHT Trailer Tow Group
AJPS Power Convenience Group
APAS Monotone Paint
BAES 140 Amp Alternator
BC2S 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BNBS Electronic Stability Control
BNGS Hill Start Assist
BNMP Traction Control
BNSP Electronic Roll Mitigation
BNTP Trailer Sway Damping
BPTP Hydraulic Assist Brake Booster
BRWS 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
CACS Low Back Bucket Seats
CDBS Reclining Front Seats
CDHP Driver Height Adjuster Seat
CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat
CGXS RR Head Restraints Outboard Seating
CG3S Advanced Multistage Front Air Bags**
CKES Front Seat Area Carpet
CKFP Rear Seat/Wheelhouse/Cargo Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CLMS Sport Bar w/Full Padding
CSMP Front Seat Back Map Pockets
CSQS Rear Compartment Assist Handles
CS2P Freedom Panel Storage Bag
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
CURS Rear Compartment Storage Tray
DBBC All Manual Transmissions
DEH 6-Speed Manual NSG370 Transmission
DHWS 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Part Time 4WD Sys
DJSS Next Gen. Dana 44 HD Front Axle
DMFS 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
DRZS Next Gen. Dana 44 HD Rear Axle
DSES Tru-Lok Front & Rear Axles
EGT 3.8L V6 SMPI Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GCDS Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
GCFS Full Metal Doors w/Roll-up Windows
GFAP Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNDS Driver Side Sun Visor
GNYS Passenger Side Sun Visor
GTVS Swing-Away Mirrors
GWKP Sunrider Soft Top
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
HAAS Air Conditioning
HGAS Hood Insulation
JA2S Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JCDS 100 MPH Primary Speedometer
JFJS Temperature & Compass Gauge
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJFS Single Low Note Horn
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JKAS Locking Glove Box
JLNP GPS Navigation
JPBP Power Locks
JPYP Pwr Windows, Front 1-Touch Down
KCSS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KESS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K3XS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LABS Tire Pressure Monitoring Warning LP
LAXS Front Passenger Seat Belt Alert
LHES Rear Dome w/On/Off Switch Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJS Fog Lamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
LSAP Security Alarm
MBAS Painted Front Bumper
MB5S Black Rear Bumper
MEFS Rock Protection Sill Rails
MFRS Black Front Frame Overlay
MFTS Body Color Grille
MT2S Trail Rated Badge
MVCS Jeep Badge
NAS 50 State Emissions
NF5S 23 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHMP Speed Control
PEMA Red Rock Crystal Pearl Coat
QEMS Red Rock Crystal Pearl Coat
RC9S 6 Premium Speakers w/Subwoofer
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
RDYP Touch Screen Display Monitor
RER Media Center 730N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV
RSCS SIRIUS Satellite Radio
RSSP SIRIUS Traffic
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCLS Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDDS Performance Suspension
SHCS Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
SHGS Front Disconnecting Stabilizer Bar
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBRS Outside Tire Carrier
TT7S LT255/75R17 BSW Off Road Tires
TZGP BF Goodrich Brand Tires
VJXP Black Easy Folding Soft Top
VKXA Black Hard Top
WF4S 17X8.0 Alum Machined Cast Wheels
WKBP Matching Spare Wheel
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XEES Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
XEFS Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
XEWS 2 Front & 1 Rear Tow Hooks
XFNP Class II Receiver Hitch
XFUP Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring
XGWP Stain Repel Seat Fabric
XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
XJGS Non Locking Fuel Filler Cap
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
XRDP Hard Disc Drive
X81S Instrument Panel Parts Module
X83S Front End Parts Module
X86S Complete Chassis Parts Module
X88S Tire & Wheel Parts Module
X9AP For More Info, Call 888-539-7474
X9BP 1-Year SIRIUS Radio Service
X9CP 1-Yr SIRIUS RealTime Traffic Service
X92S Complete Body in White Parts Module
X94S Complete Painted Body Module
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
YEP Manuf Statement of Origin

I hope this information proves to be of assistance.

kjeeper10 10-07-2011 09:35 AM

What is it priced at as is?

The skids are dependent on auto/man I believe.

Looks like the PO kept a top--like mine :)

It's hard to say--I would not pay what it's valued at. Maybe a few thousand less ??

Merlin75 10-07-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
What is it priced at as is?

The skids are dependent on auto/man I believe.

Looks like the PO kept a top--like mine :)

It's hard to say--I would not pay what it's valued at. Maybe a few thousand less ??

26,998 is asking. It's with Carmax and I'm pretty sure they don't wiggle at all but if it indeed is missing Bluetooth they said it had it so maybe I can get something dropped.

kjeeper10 10-07-2011 09:52 AM

I wouldn't it have Bluetooth? I have the basic single disk and it has a Bluetooth button?

That seems like a decent price.

Merlin75 10-07-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I wouldn't it have Bluetooth? I have the basic single disk and it has a Bluetooth button?

That seems like a decent price.

I thought the build sheet would have "connectivity group" or "u-connect" listed if that option were included. It's a $300 upgrade from what i can tell.

Thanks for all the input, I do agree it sounds decent I just haven't bought a vehicle in 15 years and never from a dealer of any kind :)
(ok that's not true, my last truck went through a dealer but I know the prev owner and what he got in trade so there was no haggling or test dive)

Hudweiser 10-07-2011 10:08 AM

I also recently bought a 09 Rubicon. How did you get the build sheet?

Merlin75 10-07-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudweiser
I also recently bought a 09 Rubicon. How did you get the build sheet?

There's a contact form on the jeep site, just ask for it with your full VIN, they should email it to you in 24-48 hours :D

Also I suggest making an owner profile and adding your VIN so you can see service records.

kjeeper10 10-07-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

I thought the build sheet would have "connectivity group" or "u-connect" listed if that option were included. It's a $300 upgrade from what i can tell.

Thanks for all the input, I do agree it sounds decent I just haven't bought a vehicle in 15 years and never from a dealer of any kind :)
(ok that's not true, my last truck went through a dealer but I know the prev owner and what he got in trade so there was no haggling or test dive)

Ya, I have not used it, it's build in with the standard cd player and I think it's stock with the rubicon. Nav would be an option.

Merlin75 10-07-2011 05:24 PM

so at 10:30am I talked with the sales guy and he told me the Jeep went to get emissions done and whatnot and it'd be available "early afternoon" .. it's now 3:30pm and I haven't heard anything despite attempted contact at 1pm, 2pm and 3pm.... *anxious*

Merlin75 10-07-2011 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess what......

Attachment 71242

kjeeper10 10-07-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Guess what......

Got her?

Pic did not show at first.... Yay

Merlin75 10-07-2011 08:47 PM

Almost. Still signing. Just finished walk around and checklist.
Things they need to do:

Lug nut key

2nd ignition key

Front license plate bracket

Rear wiper washer (disconnected? Wiper fluid flows in on the floor by the driver seat)

Gas strut for rear glass (one missing)

Freedom top bag (missing)

Freedom top bolt in the overhead sound bar (one missing)

kjeeper10 10-07-2011 09:44 PM

There giving you a freedom panel bag?

Merlin75 10-07-2011 10:39 PM

That's the promise. I'll believe it when I have it :)

Merlin75 10-07-2011 10:44 PM

Pictures tomorrow! It's dark now but it's parked outside of the celebratory restaurant ON the parking stop. Whereee

sell33 10-07-2011 10:59 PM

Congrats on the purchase! :dance: I'm jealous and I haven't even seen a picture yet. Looking forward to seeing some tomorrow!