Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Changed the differential oil today (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/changed-the-differential-oil-today-116314.html)

wrangler0 10-05-2011 08:22 PM

Changed the differential oil today

2 Attachment(s)
My Jeep is just passed the 25k mark so I figured I should check the gear oil finally!

I was at the dealer for an oil change recently and they bugged me again about changing the diff. fluids...for $323...I don't think so!

As others on here have said, it's super easy to do as long as you can turn a ratchet!!

I used 3 qts of Lucas HD 80W90. (I know I didn't need HD, but that's all they had in stock and I didn't know when I'd get a free afternoon to do this again)
I decided to go with dino based on some thing's I read on various forums.

Here are a couple of photos:

The rear fluid was pretty dark and a tad thick, like a runny milk shake.
It was a very dark grey, not black as it looks in the photo.

The front fluid was a lot cleaner, as it flowed out it was still a little transparent.

I swirled around the oil in the cups to make sure there were no metal flakes floating around.
Since there were no flakes in the oil, I did not remove the diff. covers this time around. Next change I'll do that most likely.

All in all....a very easy job and glad I finally did it!

:punk:

KSCRUDE 10-05-2011 08:32 PM

I did mine at 4500 miles and the rear really looked nasty. I went with a valvoline 85-140 syn as I think that's required for towing. I ordered the tow package so I put in tow weight oil. I doubt if I will ever tow with this think but I am ready, and besides that's what JIMBOX uses so it must be good!

daggo66 10-06-2011 07:43 AM

Do you have a LSD in the rear? If so you need an additive unless you use certain synthetics such as Royal Purple. There's no need to check the oil for metal. Any shavings should cling to the magnetic drain plug.

KSCRUDE 10-06-2011 08:31 AM

I have the LSD rear axle, and mobil one and the valvoline syn both claim to have the LSD additive built righ in to their lube.

daggo66 10-06-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSCRUDE (Post 1632320)
I have the LSD rear axle, and mobil one and the valvoline syn both claim to have the LSD additive built righ in to their lube.

That's why I said unless you use a synthetic that has it already.

Yellow_Fox 10-06-2011 08:40 AM

I dnt think my diff fluid has ever been changed and my car has 75,000 miles on it. Is that bad?

KSCRUDE 10-06-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow_Fox (Post 1632344)
I dnt think my diff fluid has ever been changed and my car has 75,000 miles on it. Is that bad?

I don't usually change the gear lube in my ford trucks until 60 k and they do a lot of towing. Just sold the wife's 07 expedition this summer with 75 k on it and never changed anything but the motor oil. You should be fine, but I would change it, if you plan on keeping is for a long time.

2012-Rubicon 10-06-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow_Fox

It's a CAR who cares? ;p

wrangler0 10-06-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1632209)
Do you have a LSD in the rear? If so you need an additive unless you use certain synthetics such as Royal Purple. There's no need to check the oil for metal. Any shavings should cling to the magnetic drain plug.

Don't have LSD....

If I did, I'd be good though...the bottle says there's no need for an additive for LSD.

And yes, plenty of shavings were stuck to the magnet.
I thought I read that it's possible shavings could be floating around in the oil and if so it's best to take off the covers to do a 'proper' oil change?

kik 10-06-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow_Fox (Post 1632344)

It's more bad than good on a JK. Get it changed.