Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Oil leak and fuel pump issues (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/oil-leak-and-fuel-pump-issues-116321.html)

dakid1102 10-05-2011 09:18 PM

Oil leak and fuel pump issues

ok so im new here...i have no mechanical experience ...just brought a 89 wranlger laredo (6cyl) from one of my marine buddies....it has an oil leak and he told me its because the fuel pump is bad....it stalls while its idling in neutral and if i dont keep giving it gas it does it while shifting gears....i plan on working on it myself to gain some mech. experience and to save some money...im not entirely sure where the fuel pump is if i have to replace it....cmon guys help me out

Nubby55 10-05-2011 10:03 PM

Fuel pump is on the right side of the engine, about half way back, if you have never changed one make sure the pump arm go back on the cam like it comes off, over / under whichever don't force it. the best to gain mech. knowledge is to buy a manual and follow instructions.

kik 10-06-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakid1102 (Post 1631269)
ok so im new here...i have no mechanical experience ...just brought a 89 wranlger laredo (6cyl) from one of my marine buddies....it has an oil leak and he told me its because the fuel pump is bad....it stalls while its idling in neutral and if i dont keep giving it gas it does it while shifting gears....i plan on working on it myself to gain some mech. experience and to save some money...im not entirely sure where the fuel pump is if i have to replace it....cmon guys help me out

An oil leak as a result of a bad fuel pump is not the problem. Totally separate issues. Where is the leak coming from. The 4.2 is prone to leak from the valve cover, rear seal, PCV, dip stick, oil filler cap, etc. Each problem has to be addressed individually but it's not because of the fuel pump. It sounds like you have a problem with the carb. Try to first bring the idle up to at least 800 rpm in neutral with a hot engine. That might solve your problem. If the fuel pump was bad it wouldn't run properly while you're giving it gas that's why I say try the carb first. With a 4.2 carb try the simple fixes first. If you need a fuel pump by some off chance there are two types for this engine; the first has the outlet facing forward, to the front of the vehicle and the other faces to the rear. See which direction you have it will save alot of aggravation if you need to replace which I don't think you have to at this point.

sevenservices 10-07-2011 07:58 AM

and yeah, make sure your spark plugs are new. They are built to fail... and remember, in the end, thats what ignites or does not ignite your fuel.

Garyk 10-07-2011 02:24 PM

If the fuel pump was bad enough to cause it to stall, it would not run at speed. I have seen some single action fuel pumps leak at the vent hole due to a bad diaphragm but doubt that's your problem. Do what KIK says...