Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Soft top boot is a real pain... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soft-top-boot-is-a-real-pain-116327.html)

daedalus 10-05-2011 10:03 PM

Soft top boot is a real pain...
 
I installed the soft top boot my 2010 2 door today. Getting that plastic tube to slide through the tail gate retainer bar sure was fun. :facepalm:

So here's the problem - I tried my best to center the boot across the tail gate, but the edges still get caught when I shut the tail gate. I got frustrated and just left it that way, but I have to adjust it each time I open or close the tail gate now.

Anyone else have this problem? What's the solution?

Scooter_Trash 10-05-2011 10:57 PM

Can't say I've ever even seen a Jeep with a soft top boot. Pics?

daedalus 10-05-2011 11:38 PM

http://www.jeep.com/shared/2011/wran...ofttop_sec.jpg

mikemounlio 10-06-2011 06:34 AM

In my past i have never had god luck with boots like that. I have always had to mess with them to get them to fit.

Try to reinstall it.
Leave yourself enough time to adjust it each time.

sneck 10-06-2011 06:49 AM

I can't imagine a boot for a 4d, but then again, I seem to have no idea how to lower my soft top right :rofl:

daggo66 10-06-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus (Post 1631407)
Getting that plastic tube to slide through the tail gate retainer bar sure was fun. :facepalm:

tube? What tube?

daggo66 10-06-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneck (Post 1632144)
I can't imagine a boot for a 4d, but then again, I seem to have no idea how to lower my soft top right :rofl:

Watch this:

Official Airpark 2010 JK soft top video - YouTube

sneck 10-06-2011 07:14 AM

I thought the 2011+ tops were different then the 2007-2010? something about gutters and whatnot? either way, my top doesnt do that!

*edit* and yeah after watching that video, i guess thats about as far down as I've been able to get it, but that still doesn't seem far down enough for a boot! that upper bar is almost 45 degrees!

daggo66 10-06-2011 07:16 AM

That is a 2010 top. It's exactly the same except your windows are bigger which has nothing to do with lowering the top. Your top "DOES" do that. Whether or not the operator does that appears to be the issue. :D This is often referred to as an ID-ten-T error. :D

sneck 10-06-2011 07:19 AM

i never said I knew what I was doing! :rofl:

sneck 10-06-2011 07:23 AM

I found a solution to my problems!

Rugged Ridge 13515.01 - Rugged Ridge Power Soft Top Kit in Black Sailcloth for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

:hide:

daedalus 10-06-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1632161)
tube? What tube?

There is a long, skinny plastic tube (covered in fabric) that runs along the length of the soft top boot. This tube slides into the tail gate retainer the same way the rear window of the soft top would slide in.

However it is very difficult to slide in the soft top boot due to the way this tube has been designed.

derfC 10-06-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneck (Post 1632144)
I can't imagine a boot for a 4d ...

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/a...5-50-25_84.jpg
*note, this was the first time I installed the boot & it was VERY snug... it's stretched out a bit since then and fits much better now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus (Post 1631407)
I installed the soft top boot my 2010 2 door today. Getting that plastic tube to slide through the tail gate retainer bar sure was fun. :facepalm:

So here's the problem - I tried my best to center the boot across the tail gate, but the edges still get caught when I shut the tail gate. I got frustrated and just left it that way, but I have to adjust it each time I open or close the tail gate now.

Anyone else have this problem? What's the solution?

Why bother with the tailgate bar? I take mine out with the rear window when I'm using the soft top boot.
:thumb:

daggo66 10-06-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus (Post 1632441)
There is a long, skinny plastic tube (covered in fabric) that runs along the length of the soft top boot. This tube slides into the tail gate retainer the same way the rear window of the soft top would slide in.

However it is very difficult to slide in the soft top boot due to the way this tube has been designed.

I think you're doing something wrong. I have that but it's just part of the boot for rigidity. (I can see a corner of it sticking out) It has nothing to do with the tail gate retaining clips. Look at the picture in the post above. It's inside that little rounded part of the boot.

daggo66 10-06-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derfC (Post 1632458)
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/a...5-50-25_84.jpg
*note, this was the first time I installed the boot & it was VERY snug... it's stretched out a bit since then and fits much better now.



Why bother with the tailgate bar? I take mine out with the rear window when I'm using the soft top boot.
:thumb:

Yeah, no bar. You can keep the bar in if you want and the gate will hold it in place, but it has nothing to do with the boot.

daedalus 10-06-2011 09:37 AM

Interesting. I'm actually going by the Mopar instructions which clearly state the tube must be slid through the tailgate retainer. It works, it's just a major pain in the ass. Anyway I'll try not sliding it through.

Do you have the Mopar boot or a different brand?

derfC 10-06-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus (Post 1632499)
Interesting. I'm actually going by the Mopar instructions which clearly state the tube must be slid through the tailgate retainer. It works, it's just a major pain in the ass. Anyway I'll try not sliding it through.

Perhaps the Mopar instructions say that so that there's something holding the tailgate bar in place other than the tailgate...


Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus (Post 1632499)
Do you have the Mopar boot or a different brand?

Rampage.

daggo66 10-06-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus (Post 1632499)
Interesting. I'm actually going by the Mopar instructions which clearly state the tube must be slid through the tailgate retainer. It works, it's just a major pain in the ass. Anyway I'll try not sliding it through.

Do you have the Mopar boot or a different brand?

Mine is Smittybilt, but they are all the same. That little plastic thing stays inside the "loop" of the fabric.

babiehughie 10-06-2011 11:51 AM

Try "pinching" the plastic tube at the end you start it onto the bar with a pair of pliers. Mine slides on without any problems. Sorry, don't have any pictures.

daggo66 10-06-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babiehughie (Post 1632796)
Try "pinching" the plastic tube at the end you start it onto the bar with a pair of pliers. Mine slides on without any problems. Sorry, don't have any pictures.

Why are you putting it on the bar? Where are you putting it on the bar? Maybe this is why people are having such issues. Mine goes on in two minutes.

ndrugby 10-06-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1632802)
Why are you putting it on the bar? Where are you putting it on the bar? Maybe this is why people are having such issues. Mine goes on in two minutes.

I put mine into the bar too. I pulled it out a bit and trimmed it. Goes in right away, just like the rear window on the soft top. That holds the back down perfectly and creates a much nicer and tighter fit IMO.

daggo66 10-06-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndrugby (Post 1632961)
I put mine into the bar too. I pulled it out a bit and trimmed it. Goes in right away, just like the rear window on the soft top. That holds the back down perfectly and creates a much nicer and tighter fit IMO.


Oh, so that whole rounded part fits in the slot where the window would be. :facepalm: Mine works perfectly fine without it. My bar stays in the garage with the windows.

ndrugby 10-06-2011 01:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1632966)
Oh, so that whole rounded part fits in the slot where the window would be. :facepalm: Mine works perfectly fine without it. My bar stays in the garage with the windows.

Ran out a snapped a couple of quick pics. The hard thing is at the end of the tubes there is more fabric stitched on. That is difficult to slide into the channel with the tube as well. Solution, push the tube out one side and trim it down so that when you push it back in, the fabric on the ends doesn't have any tube inside of it. Presto: slides on lightning quick.

Attachment 71082

Attachment 71083

daggo66 10-06-2011 01:04 PM

The only bad thing is it looks like it's going to be a while before I can try it! :banghead: FML Where were you a couple months ago?

ndrugby 10-06-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 1633001)
The only bad thing is it looks like it's going to be a while before I can try it! :banghead: FML Where were you a couple months ago?

A couple of months ago I didn't have my Jeep yet :D

daedalus 10-06-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babiehughie (Post 1632796)
Try "pinching" the plastic tube at the end you start it onto the bar with a pair of pliers. Mine slides on without any problems. Sorry, don't have any pictures.

That is exactly what I did. Definitely helps.

So back to my original question - are you guys having trouble closing your tailgate with the boot installed? My tailgate keeps hitting the edges of the boot and won't shut or open, unless I adjust the boot.

tcass 10-06-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneck (Post 1632176)

I like sneck's idea....but damn, that a lot of $$$

cass

ndrugby 10-06-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus (Post 1633162)
That is exactly what I did. Definitely helps.

So back to my original question - are you guys having trouble closing your tailgate with the boot installed? My tailgate keeps hitting the edges of the boot and won't shut or open, unless I adjust the boot.

I had this issue the first time. Now I don't. I usually put the boot through the channel then reattach the bar. Then I adjust the position of the boot so the left side doesn't block the tailgate. Then I lower the top. Also, it's important to fold the top right and well. That will make it stay flatter/lower and gives you more room to stretch out the boot around the sides.

SlackerMD 10-06-2011 05:54 PM

I know the boot creates "cleaner" lines in the rear and frees up a little more room from the cargo area (but that makes no difference to me since i run the safari straps), but I would think that putting the boot on and taking it off repeatedly would be a bit of a pain...at least when your weather is as temperamental as it is in the Mid-Atlantic?

OutlawJK 10-06-2011 10:02 PM

I would think the boot would keep the dirt and mud off the inside of the top so when you put it up it would be nice and clean

Plus the mopar boot comes with the window sleeves


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.