Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Lunchbox Lockers and broken axles? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lunchbox-lockers-and-broken-axles-1165.html)

U.S.MarineLJ 02-22-2006 10:58 AM

Lunchbox Lockers and broken axles?
 
I'm in the market for a lunch box locker, the overwhelming majority of people have said run with it. I have however heard a couple people say not to do it as a greater possiblity of broken axles exist. FWIW I'm planning on putting a lunchbox in my front D30 on my LJ. Has anyone broken an axle because the lunchbox? Perhaps I worded that wrong, I'm pretty sure most of the broken axles were the end result of too much skinny pedal. What I mean is without the locker would you have broken your axle? Anyone observed this? Or are the people telling me this just worrying to much?

Thanks.

John

JeepCrawler98 02-22-2006 11:29 AM

Generally the broken axles are a result of ANY locker and too much skinny pedal (sometimes it can't be avoided though). This is because of the extra stress a locker can place on an axleshaft that's driving a tire so pressed down into an obstacle that the torque can be immense - torque that would otherwise not be there since the diff would spin the tire that's up in the air or has the least traction. On a rare occasion - a weak axle or an axle with shafts that were damaged before hand can break even with just an open diffs; but it's extremely rare.

The lunchboxes have NOTHING to do with more broken axles any more than a full carrier locker. Now lunchboxes are naturally not as beefy as lets say a Detroit full carrier or ARB - meaning that they can sometimes fail. Usually in this process they'll chew up the carrier and you'll have to get your gears redone. It's not something you have to worry about though unless you REALLY floor it 24/7

blueJeeps 02-22-2006 12:16 PM

Just wondering why the front and not the rear?

1BLKJP 02-22-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueJeeps
Just wondering why the front and not the rear?

There is a lot of discussion about that. Putting a locker in the front helps your front end pull you up on an obstacle where a rear will push you. Most people put a locker in the rear first, but I will vote for the first one to go up front. I think it helps more to be pulling yourself up over something instead of the front being dead and the rear doing all the work.

The other main theory is that if you have a D35 rear axle and you lock it up then you will blow it up which is so so true.


As far as the lunchbox lockers blowing up shafts more than a different type locker is BS. The majority of front axle shafts blow out because of Ujoint failure that takes the ears of the shaft with it, not from the stress a locker causes. Now that doesn't mean that it doesn't and won't happen, becuase I have seen destruction of all types caused by all lockers. The only locker that will help you prevent an axle disaster however would be a selectable locker like an Ox, ARB, Auburn etc....With them you can disengage it to take stress off of parts should you feel you are in a position that something is about to break.

U.S.MarineLJ 02-22-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueJeeps
Just wondering why the front and not the rear?

I have a LSD in the rear, in conjunction with a front locker I think I will be able to tackle just about anything that I would care to wheel on. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the front locker will be almost invisible if I'm in 2WD. This is important for me as it is my DD.

1BLKJP 02-22-2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U.S.MarineLJ
I have a LSD in the rear, in conjunction with a front locker I think I will be able to tackle just about anything that I would care to wheel on. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the front locker will be almost invisible if I'm in 2WD. This is important for me as it is my DD.

You are correct.

U.S.MarineLJ 02-22-2006 01:34 PM

BlkJeep, and JeepCrawler, thanks for the insightful information. :D In regards to lockers I'm just learning so your help is greatly appreciated.

U.S.MarineLJ 02-22-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP
As far as the lunchbox lockers blowing up shafts more than a different type locker is BS. The majority of front axle shafts blow out because of Ujoint failure that takes the ears of the shaft with it, not from the stress a locker causes. Now that doesn't mean that it doesn't and won't happen, becuase I have seen destruction of all types caused by all lockers. The only locker that will help you prevent an axle disaster however would be a selectable locker like an Ox, ARB, Auburn etc....With them you can disengage it to take stress off of parts should you feel you are in a position that something is about to break.

Couldn't this be countered by shifting out of four if I was ever in a situation where I thought I might torque the front axle too much? Then I could just winch myself up, of course provided there was a suitable anchoring point. I understand that few people probably anticipate they may be pushing their Jeep to hard the first time they twis and axle etc, just a thought. What do you think?:confused:

John

1BLKJP 02-22-2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U.S.MarineLJ
Couldn't this be countered by shifting out of four if I was ever in a situation where I thought I might torque the front axle too much? Then I could just winch myself up, of course provided there was a suitable anchoring point. I understand that few people probably anticipate they may be pushing their Jeep to hard the first time they twis and axle etc, just a thought. What do you think?:confused:

John

Yeah, It all depends on the situation. Sometimes there not a whole lot you can do when something is about to break. Largely in part because you don't know it's about to break until it does. :D

Jerry Bransford 02-22-2006 02:12 PM

Front axleshafts don't blow as often as rear axles do once lockers are installed because the front axle seldom sees more than 50% of the load. The rear axle, on the other hand, sees anywhere from 50% to 100% of the load... or up to twice as much as the front axle usually receives.

blueJeeps 02-22-2006 05:48 PM

I run a rear locker only. D35 and I've only broken one axle shaft.
That was a dry waterfall on Mount Eagle TN.
The LSa and front locker combo should be OK though.

Buster 02-22-2006 07:22 PM

Another problem with a front lunchbox locker, is weather related (read snow belt here) when in 4wd, the locked front has a bad tendency to want to take you straight thru a corner (skinny pedal related also).

JeepCrawler98 02-22-2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster
Another problem with a front lunchbox locker, is weather related (read snow belt here) when in 4wd, the locked front has a bad tendency to want to take you straight thru a corner (skinny pedal related also).

Right - though that's not just lunchbox lockers; any full time non-selectable locker will do that.

U.S.MarineLJ 02-22-2006 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster
Another problem with a front lunchbox locker, is weather related (read snow belt here) when in 4wd, the locked front has a bad tendency to want to take you straight thru a corner (skinny pedal related also).

Don't have to worry about that, stationed in San Diego, and soon to be Hawaii for the next three years. :D

wndrlst 03-12-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP
There is a lot of discussion about that. Putting a locker in the front helps your front end pull you up on an obstacle where a rear will push you. Most people put a locker in the rear first, but I will vote for the first one to go up front. I think it helps more to be pulling yourself up over something instead of the front being dead and the rear doing all the work.

The other main theory is that if you have a D35 rear axle and you lock it up then you will blow it up which is so so true.


As far as the lunchbox lockers blowing up shafts more than a different type locker is BS. The majority of front axle shafts blow out because of Ujoint failure that takes the ears of the shaft with it, not from the stress a locker causes. Now that doesn't mean that it doesn't and won't happen, becuase I have seen destruction of all types caused by all lockers. The only locker that will help you prevent an axle disaster however would be a selectable locker like an Ox, ARB, Auburn etc....With them you can disengage it to take stress off of parts should you feel you are in a position that something is about to break.


I ran a lockrite in a d30 and d35 with only one broken axle in 5 yrs. It was the front right, so I tossed the vacuum disconnect stuff and swapped in a set of TJ shafts. It all depends on your driving style and right foot. This was in an '89 XJ but the running gear is essentially the same. So stop slamming the d35 and start wheeling.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.