Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Can you tell me what bumpers are these? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/can-you-tell-me-what-bumpers-are-these-116685.html)

Committee-X 10-08-2011 01:03 PM

Can you tell me what bumpers are these?
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hey folks, so I picked up this tj with chrome (or stainless steel) bumpers that I cannot stand. They are such an eyesore. Can you tell me what kind of bumpers they are, make, chrome or stainless steel? I'm planning to roughing them up and use matte black bedlining on them...or should I just scrap them and look for some used oem bumpers. I don't have a budget for a better offroad bumpers at the moment.

Please bare with this stock jeep photos. Currently in the process of replacing wheels and installing lift. :)

TnDz TJ 10-08-2011 01:30 PM

If you can't afford to replace them, just coat them. I wouldn't scuff them. reason why? When you sell them, you can have the option given to the potential buyer of black or chrome.

I suggest Plasti-Dip. It's a plasticized/rubber coating that you can remove if you want.
http://www.walasekdesign.com/stuff/01.jpg
I used this on my NON-SCUFFED chrome grille of my 07 Jetta with no chipping or pealing in over 8000 miles of highway use.
http://www.anonforums.com/builds/vw/...lackgrill1.jpg


This stuff rocks! I did my bumpers, too (on the Jeep)
http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...5_shackles.jpg


Here is a guy that did his entire car....
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...eph/matte1.jpg

Jerry Bransford 10-08-2011 01:35 PM

I dunno what those bumpers are either but I agree with you, they sure are an ugly eyesore! :D

TnDz TJ 10-08-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1638149)
I dunno what those bumpers are either but I agree with you, they sure are an ugly eyesore! :D

LOL!!! Don't hold back, Jerry.... Tell 'em how you REALLY feel...:rofl::D

Committee-X 10-08-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 1638149)
I dunno what those bumpers are either but I agree with you, they sure are an ugly eyesore! :D

I drove by another jeep owner who was about to wave but I noticed he slowly retract his hand as I approach closer. Stupid corny shiny pos bumpers! :facepalm:

Anyhoo, TnDz TJ, Ill definitely check those plasti dip as a temporary remedy. Anything that takes the sanding, priming step out of the process is a plus. Where did you buy these cans?

MikeMTJ 10-08-2011 01:57 PM

Take em off and sell them on Craigslist. Someone will buy them.

Drakea94 10-08-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TnDz TJ
If you can't afford to replace them, just coat them. I wouldn't scuff them. reason why? When you sell them, you can have the option given to the potential buyer of black or chrome.

I suggest Plasti-Dip. It's a plasticized/rubber coating that you can remove if you want.

I used this on my NON-SCUFFED chrome grille of my 07 Jetta with no chipping or pealing in over 8000 miles of highway use.

This stuff rocks! I did my bumpers, too (on the Jeep)

Here is a guy that did his entire car....

I did my bumpers in the same stiff great product .

TnDz TJ 10-08-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Committee-X (Post 1638175)
Anyhoo, TnDz TJ, Ill definitely check those plasti dip as a temporary remedy. Anything that takes the sanding, priming step out of the process is a plus. Where did you buy these cans?

I got a $6 can at Home Depot... also sold on Amazon, at Ace Hardware and Summit Racing.

Just clean them really good. even light coats about 30 minutes between coats.... 4-5 coats over chrome. DONT TRY TO COVER CHROME IN ONE COAT! Aint gonna happen. PATIENCE! Grab 2-3 cans for both front and rear bumpers

Committee-X 10-08-2011 02:16 PM

Sweet thank you! Will make a trip to home depot soon.

Hammond_Egger 10-08-2011 08:37 PM

Looks like your jeep has braces :)
I would try to sell them first, you never know!

Kevbz 10-08-2011 09:24 PM

I have black tube bumpers i dont like, not as wrap around as yours though. i've thought about shortening them with a sawzall or hacksaw to show more front wheel...you can reuse the caps off the part you removed if it has them

mudslinger5000 10-08-2011 09:38 PM

i used plasti dip on my headlight bezels. i painted them two years ago and they havent chipped or cracked, its awesome stuff! :)

Committee-X 10-15-2011 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Updates: Plasti dipped those bumpers. Not too shabby huh for a $21 (3 cans).

NoWayOut_TJ 10-15-2011 03:04 PM

Looks much better!, did it seem to stick well to the chrome without scuffing them up?

Committee-X 10-17-2011 02:45 AM

So far it seems to stick well, as long as you do multiple thick coatings. Although if I were to run a blade through the surface I will have no problem slicing and peeling off the whole thing. So for better adhesive, definitely would not hurt to do a little sanding.

jkaufman_95 10-17-2011 02:55 AM

The hill you live on looks like the one my sister does (w. Hollywood) make sure the parking brake works! Lol seriously. Do something quick. Those are terrible. Nevermind. Read on. See you did! Looks good! New ion alloy wheels too eh?

topher38 10-17-2011 02:59 AM

our jeeps looked almost exactly the same when i had those bumpers on

jkaufman_95 10-17-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topher38
our jeeps looked almost exactly the same when i had those bumpers on

What happened to going to sleep? :rofl: but im out

topher38 10-17-2011 03:01 AM

My personal opinion the second photo is pretty sweet with the sun in it. If only there were trees instead of a building and trail instead of pavement

Yellow_Fox 10-17-2011 03:02 AM

yea if anything get a stock front and rear bumper from someone on here but they seriously look alot better blk thn chrom

Committee-X 10-17-2011 03:09 AM

Lol, those photos with the steep neighborhood were taken where the previous owner lived (san francisco). Driving in that city can be tense with a 5-speed. Anyhoo, since then I had a little bit of work to fix up and get the Jeep in good running order. Just now I'm starting to get to the fun stuffs: after market sound system, wheels etc. Hopefully by next year when I am less broke I can get maybe a 2-3 in lift, new tires, and new bumper. But for now I'm pretty happy with how it is.

jkaufman_95 10-17-2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Committee-X
Lol, those photos with the steep neighborhood were taken where the previous owner lived (san francisco). Driving in that city can be tense with a 5-speed. Anyhoo, since then I had a little bit of work to fix up and get the Jeep in good running order. Just now I'm starting to get to the fun stuffs: after market sound system, wheels etc. Hopefully by next year when I am less broke I can get maybe a 2-3 in lift, new tires, and new bumper. But for now I'm pretty happy with how it is. :D

I've taken a 12 speed 45 foot tour bus through SF. I know. Lol get a suspension lift NOT body.

KidRock171 10-17-2011 04:05 AM

Looks great! I hate tube bumpers. But blk is the new pink. Much better. When you get a new bump. Look at the bestop. It's my personal favorite. A little pricey though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.