Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   2000 Jeep Wrangler side steps fit 2012 Wrangler? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/2000-jeep-wrangler-side-steps-fit-2012-wrangler-117348.html)

williecat 10-12-2011 06:57 AM

2000 Jeep Wrangler side steps fit 2012 Wrangler?

Hi,

Is there any chance that the side steps on my 2000 Wrangler Sport will fit on a 2012 Wrangler Sport? My beloved, trusty Jeep just went into the shop for mysterious coolant loss (freeze plug maybe?) but it was determined her frame had rotted and was not safe to drive anymore. :nonono: No one wants to weld it for me and apparently it's illegal to do so now anyway.

Soooo....I reluctantly need to look into getting a new Jeep and feel safer getting a brand new one rather than a used one. However, the price has gone up quite a bit since my last Jeep and I'd love to take some parts from ole' Blue and transfer them to a new '12 so that it's cheaper and also so I have part of her with me on the new Jeep. Cheesy, I know, but she was the best Jeep I ever had and we spent 146,000+ miles together. I was hoping to have her for a couple more years.

I'm also interested in hooking up her old fog lamps since I don't like the look of the new models. Is that possible? Or have too many changes been made that will prevent me from hooking up old side steps and fog lamps to a new model?

Thanks!

00tj2 10-12-2011 07:33 AM

Man, what did you do to her that the frame rusted out already... Mine is a 2000 only has surface rust on her frame and that's living in the northeast, wheeling on the beach and in salt water and mud....too bad you can't get it fixed, where are you located?

kjeeper10 10-12-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2
Man, what did you do to her that the frame rusted out already... Mine is a 2000 only has surface rust on her frame and that's living in the northeast, wheeling on the beach and in salt water and mud....too bad you can't get it fixed, where are you located?

My 2001 was shot.

As far as the question, with some fab I'm sure anything would work.

williecat 10-12-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2 (Post 1650838)

I was told it's just a common thing for Wranglers...you must be lucky! I live in northern Ohio so I'm not around salt water but we do have the effects of road salt for half the year or more (as do you I'm sure). I asked the guy at the shop how to prevent this from happening again and he said the best thing you can do is spray oil in your frame every year and wipe down the outside of the frame with some oil too. I guess hosing out the frame annually helps too but I think you need to park it on a hill in order to get the crud out. I had no idea this would even happen or I would have been vigilant. Be careful with yours! My dad said it was probably a crappy piece of metal that was used for the frame.

williecat 10-12-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2 (Post 1650838)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 1650867)
My 2001 was shot.

As far as the question, with some fab I'm sure anything would work.

Thanks for the input. New side steps are around $300 so I really don't want to buy new ones if I don't have too....hopefully a bit of fabrication will do the trick. I'm kind of curious about the fog lamps to b/c I can't figure out how they would be wired on and made to work.

kfdjason7620 10-12-2011 10:48 AM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f14/tj-...er-116912.html frame maybe?

kfdjason7620 10-12-2011 10:51 AM

But if its dead, then you can make some pretty good money parting it out

RCB 10-12-2011 10:54 AM

You could also get a new frame, if you are handy with tools.

arcountryboy 10-12-2011 10:58 AM

Not real hard to do a frame swap. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new jeep.

kjeeper10 10-12-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williecat

Thanks for the input. New side steps are around $300 so I really don't want to buy new ones if I don't have too....hopefully a bit of fabrication will do the trick. I'm kind of curious about the fog lamps to b/c I can't figure out how they would be wired on and made to work.

Why don't you check Craigslist for OEM steps?
I see people all the time buying stuff new, worse off--OEM new. That's what is great about a jeep, people are always modifying. Some OEM parts go--as soon as the jeep is bought. Tires/wheels, STEPS, bumpers, rock sliders, etc. All for cheap on CL..

My Front bumper has a ding, my friends keep asking me about it because I bought it that way. I'm most likely going with a aftermarket bumper but if I wanted to, I see brand new takeoffs for $50-$75 :)

Also bought my soft top for $500 :)

Man I love Craigslist :thumb:

williecat 10-13-2011 07:44 AM

Hmmmm...some really good ideas on here. I'm not mechanically inclined so I hadn't thought of these things. Altogether, what is wrong with my 2000 so far is: rotted frame, mysterious coolant leak which may be a bad freeze plug, rusted out brake lines that need to be replaced, a leaking front shock, a leaking pinion seal (not bad enough to replace yet), and a hole in the floor under the gas pedal where the floor rusted. I also need new tires and a serpentine belt, which I had planned to do prior to winter setting in. Knowing all of this, do you think it's worth it to fix my current Jeep or look into a new one?

arcountryboy 10-13-2011 08:41 AM

It really depends on your funds and what you want. Are you capable of purchasing a new/newer Jeep? If so, that may be the route to go. If not, fixing yours while not cheap, will certainly be cheaper than a new one. One other option to look at is buying a newer/better TJ.