Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Vent Type Selector Not Working (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/vent-type-selector-not-working-117541.html)

abader01 10-13-2011 09:43 AM

Vent Type Selector Not Working

I have an '02 TJ X and am having trouble with my HVAC vent selector.
It will not switch into upper vent mode, only have the option to have it all on my feet, or feet and windshield.
I searched but didnt find any real solutions.
Help? Anyone else have this issue?

wytewolf00 10-13-2011 12:31 PM

That's a cable-driven switch in the YJ's, not sure about TJ's though. I had that problem and, upon removal of the HVAC assembly, noticed that there was a stick wedged into the cable system. Must have fallen through the dash or something...

JRIEDY85 10-13-2011 01:33 PM

Mine is the same way. the switch is stuck in the vent/feet position and won't turn at all. What do you have to do to get to the HVAC assembly? Remove all the dash and what not?

Hardermods 10-13-2011 01:33 PM

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak, Here is a diagram to follow and find your leak

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3.../Jeepacvac.gif

Most typically the connecting below the throttle body at port 5 to hose 2 comes loose and falls off so I would start there.

If it is connected and not cracked or anything I would then lay under the vehicle right behind the front passenger side wheel and look up along the frame/firewall for the boxed labeled 8, it will have one line coming off the side of it and sometimes gets eaten by battery acid so make sure it is connected and not cracked.

If neither one of those are your solution then I would just follow the line all the way and look for any kinks, cracks, or breaks.

JRIEDY85 10-13-2011 05:31 PM

a leak in the vacuum line would cause the switch to not be able to turn at all?

AmericaOverland 10-13-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRIEDY85 (Post 1655561)
a leak in the vacuum line would cause the switch to not be able to turn at all?

That is exactly what happened to me. Everything was working fine in TN until I pulled off the road and the LJ went completely dead because of a bad battery terminal, which we temporarily fixed until I got another one in OH. Anyhow, the next day, on my way to OH, I noticed that I didn't have cruise control, AND I lost AC vent control. Unlike you, my AC was blowing out the defroster vents instead of the floor. We eventually figured out at the IH Nationals show (as I was leaving and found two guys on a trailer pulled by another LJ) that the vacuum boot at point 2 was literally hanging completely off the engine. They found it and plugged it back in, and sure enough, my AC vent control worked again, and later once I got up to highway speed, cruise control worked again. HOWEVER, if the vacuum boot at point 2 does not attach firmly to the nipple on the motor (which mine did not and was just being held on STRICTLY with the vacuum of the air flowing into the nipple), you will probably experience idling up and down at stop lights/signs or anytime you have your foot on the brake at a standstill or going backwards in reverse. This means you have enough vacuum to run CC and AC properly, but you're pulling in air that shouldn't be in the vacuum system, which somehow prevents the motor from idling correctly under load. It will run fine though, when you're going down the road.

The vacuum lines for the whole thing was about $14. I took the part off just after the T and replaced it, and it works fine. I've got 2,000 mi since that repair.

Oh wait a minute. How selective my vision has become... You mean the switch itself on the dash will not turn physically? In that case, I don't know...

Hardermods 10-13-2011 06:14 PM

No my response was for the OP.

Your saying you cannot turn the knob at all? Or when you turn it nothing happens?

Devon 10-13-2011 08:14 PM

Not sure if the OP meant the knob won't turn or if it turns but he can't get air to come out of the vents.

Mine would only come out of the defrost and floor vents. I thought I would have to tear the dash apart but it was a 3 inch vacuum hose that is underneath the battery, the hose was split. You can't see it unless you remove the battery! O'Rielly's just cut off a 4 inch piece of hose and gave it to me. Problem solved.

JRIEDY85 10-14-2011 01:51 AM

Yeah the knob won't turn at all.

robbiecc 10-14-2011 05:58 AM

pretty much had the same prob-defrost and floor would work but dash vents would not. dropped the panel from below the wheel to get a visual-make sure nothing was broke/disconnected. ran it through the different selections to see which actuators were working and swapped one working to the one that wasn't working and it was ok(worked) noted the vac line color and followed it back to a break just behind the controls(can see alot if you remove the glove box) at what looked like a junction box looking thing. PO must of cut it installing new radio or the sat stuff. hooked it up and works fine now.
if only 1 function is not working i'd be looking at the actuator(broke or jamed arm-non working actuator) and follow it back to the controlls. willing to bet it's somewhere between where the single vac line comes in and is split to 3. if it was a main vac line all 3 probably wouldn't work

abader01 10-20-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardermods (Post 1654967)
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak, Here is a diagram to follow and find your leak

Most typically the connecting below the throttle body at port 5 to hose 2 comes loose and falls off so I would start there.

If it is connected and not cracked or anything I would then lay under the vehicle right behind the front passenger side wheel and look up along the frame/firewall for the boxed labeled 8, it will have one line coming off the side of it and sometimes gets eaten by battery acid so make sure it is connected and not cracked.

If neither one of those are your solution then I would just follow the line all the way and look for any kinks, cracks, or breaks.

NICE! It was totally a vacuum leak! I went through the steps and found a cracked hose fitting on the side of box 8 behind the passenger front tire.
A little electrical tape around the fitting and it went back on nice and tight.

Hopped back in the cab and moved around the vent select, and, voila! Works brilliantly.

Thanks wrangler forum! This is awesome!!!! :)

JustAMe 06-28-2012 06:25 PM

Thanks

THANK YOU!!! :D

Dreaded code 2096 told me I most likely had a vacuum leak but I really wasn't sure where to start looking for it. Hose 2 was loose and cracked at the elbow to port 5. Don't know if that's the only leak but $3 worth of hose to give it a shot and grand total of 2 minutes looking for it. Crossing fingers this is it (and it'll stop blasting hot air on my foot too).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardermods (Post 1654967)

AJeepThing1962 10-04-2012 12:58 PM

Thanks Hardermods

I can't thank you enough for this, I live in AZ and its been a pretty hot summer with A/C only coming out of the Defroster. My problem was at the connection looking up from under passenger side to box #8. Bam, right there the line was disconnected and without the diagram you supplied above, I would have never fugured out where it went. The rubber end had a 1/4" split at the connecting end so even when it was on it was still leaking. This explains why I've always had a problem swithing from DEF=>floor=>vents. I put a piece of heatshrink over the end and heated/shrunk it up and now for the 1st time I can switch between all selector locations on the dial. I'm ticked at myself for procrastinating so long as all I could find to date and from friends is it in the blender door control under that dash and you have to rip the dash apart. Man, I'm glad I didn't go down that road.
Thanks again, this is an awesome forum, hopefully I can repay the debt someday.

Katalst 12-11-2012 06:46 AM

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you! Especially Hardermods for the diagram. I bought a 2001 tj yesterday. Had this problem. told dealer I would fix it if lowered price. you guys rock.

Jaxon1023 12-11-2012 07:33 AM

I have the opposite problem, the lever for cold and hot is stuck and will only blow hot air not cold. I have ac in mine.

Zurn 12-11-2012 09:00 AM

The knob on mine was broken out at the shaft for the switch. Was a quick easy fix. You could see where someone prior had epoxied the knob together but it failed again. New knob, 12 bucks shipped.

Big Sarge 12-19-2012 10:13 AM

My heat was working great (after replacing the resistor) except for when I was at higher speeds the heat would automatically switch to defrost. After reading this post and following the diagram from Hardermods, I fixed my vacum leak for $2.73. I bought the 7/64 rubber vacum line (3 feet) from advance auto. The rubber line fit great inside of the rubber boots, and I hope that it will last longer than the hard plastic. Thanks again, and I hope that I can contribute to this forum as well.

jackattack615 02-21-2013 03:45 PM

I have the same problem but and I have checked all lines which seem to be fine. I can hear air escaping through the actual dial itself. Would this be an O ring problem? Is there ant diagrams which show what is what behind the dial?

MaxTurner 02-21-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackattack615
I have the same problem but and I have checked all lines which seem to be fine. I can hear air escaping through the actual dial itself. Would this be an O ring problem? Is there ant diagrams which show what is what behind the dial?

I had the same problem. I checked all the lines and everything seemed okay and could hear air escaping from the dial. I found the switch on eBay and replaced it. Works great now.

08JJ 06-06-2013 07:25 PM

I had a problem also with a split hose

Mine was also on the box behind the front passenger wheel. I also had only high speed and changed the relay in the blower and it works great now. Finding that box behind the right wheel well was fun but if you rub your fingers on the side you will feel the plug if it has fallen off like mine.

darkcityavenger 07-22-2013 09:09 PM

Sounds like alot of experience on this tread :thumb: so please help . I've read alot of threads but can't find my problem. When my mode switch is on one of the AC ones all is good, I have hot and cold and all speeds work on fan but when I switch to just vent or floor (not one of the AC ones) neither one blows air. As I turn switch to the right for defrost or defrost and floor it starts blowing again. So in summary all works but the vent and floor setting not in AC mode or defrost mode. :Thanx:

boonefhh 07-22-2013 09:18 PM

the switch is stuck in the vent/feet position and won't turn at all.http://www.camj.info/7p1.jpg

08JJ 07-23-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonefhh (Post 3991983)
the switch is stuck in the vent/feet position and won't turn at all.

Sounds like its time for a new switch. What year is your vehicle?

08JJ 07-23-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkcityavenger (Post 3991920)
Sounds like alot of experience on this tread :thumb: so please help . I've read alot of threads but can't find my problem. When my mode switch is on one of the AC ones all is good, I have hot and cold and all speeds work on fan but when I switch to just vent or floor (not one of the AC ones) neither one blows air. As I turn switch to the right for defrost or defrost and floor it starts blowing again. So in summary all works but the vent and floor setting not in AC mode or defrost mode. :Thanx:

Not sure, sounds like the switch. I would try the resistor first since its the cheapest part.

Wattapunk 07-23-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonefhh (Post 3991983)
the switch is stuck in the vent/feet position and won't turn at all.http://www.camj.info/7p1.jpg

2 things you can check that are often the cause of your issues.

1) cracked or disconnected vacuum hose causing a vacuum leak. Check the hose #2 in the diagram by the manifold, then check all hoses under the hood for connections and condition :
2: Look under the dash and inspect the operation of the 3 vacuum actuators while you operate the mode switch. Each one controls different vent selections and should move when selected:
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/br...172029_vaz.gif

FYI- 08JJ, the blower resistor only affects fan speed and not the mode vent selection.

darkcityavenger 07-23-2013 06:46 AM

Thanks 08JJ I may just get a switch off ebay it seems easy enough to change out. Have a good one :wavey:

Neil F. 07-23-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08JJ (Post 3992883)
Not sure, sounds like the switch. I would try the resistor first since its the cheapest part.

You are confusing issues. The vent control is vacuum actuated. The blower resistor is only associated with the HVAC fan speed and is indepdent of the vent control

BradysTJ 07-23-2013 08:12 AM

Subscribed

08JJ 07-23-2013 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3993066)

You are confusing issues. The vent control is vacuum actuated. The blower resistor is only associated with the HVAC fan speed and is indepdent of the vent control

Yea, had a brain fart because both of mine went bad at the same time. To clarify......one speed on the blower and the resistor is bad most likely...about $10 on e-bay. My vacuum line also tore on the vacuum box under the front passenger fender directly under the battery. Kinda hard to find, have to run your hand up the opening in the fender well. Here is a pick of your TJ vacuum lines...hope this helps.

Attachment 276547

2footin 07-24-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurn (Post 3090585)
The knob on mine was broken out at the shaft for the switch. Was a quick easy fix. You could see where someone prior had epoxied the knob together but it failed again. New knob, 12 bucks shipped.

the control knob roached out in mine
turning the knob felt normal I first thought the control was bad and was ready to start tearing parts out till I pulled the knob and looked good
the point that I am trying to make is check that the knob is actually turning the control shaft before tearing apart the dash and ordering parts that you don't need :doh: