Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   2006 LJ Vibration at 50-60mph (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2006-lj-vibration-at-50-60mph-117593.html)

Zwad 10-13-2011 03:20 PM

2006 LJ Vibration at 50-60mph

2006 LJ, 4.0L, 6-spd manual, 4x4, 90K miles. This just started/I noticed, a couple weeks ago.

This isn't "shake of death". I know what that feels like. When my speed reaches 50mph, a low frequency vibration starts and gets loudest at 60mph. I don't really feel much in the steering wheel, mostly through the pedals or floor through seat. Over 63mph, vibration goes away. I've already replaced rear driveshaft u-joints, figured it was almost time anyway, but the vibration stayed. If I put it in neutral and coast, vibration is still there. Doesn't seem to change on accel or decel or turning the steering wheel from side to side. Didn't seem any different in 4x4 on a dirt road at 45-50mph.

Could this be caused by wheel hub bearings, Front wheel u-joints or front drive shaft? Jeep is stock, no lifts. Just tires at 31"x10.5". Thanks.

OcalaJeeper 10-13-2011 05:19 PM

if you feel it in the seat and floorboards rather the the steering wheel it is most likely in the rear. how old are your tires?

Peepers 10-13-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OcalaJeeper (Post 1655542)
if you feel it in the seat and floorboards rather the the steering wheel it is most likely in the rear. how old are your tires?

Have they been balanced recently?

MCE Mike 10-13-2011 08:24 PM

Sounds like a drive shaft u-joint is worn out.

JDsDream 10-13-2011 08:48 PM

Welcome to the Forum

Stupid question but...have you checked to make sure that you haven't thrown a wheel weight? I know that seems stupid but the last couple of times that I've experienced what you are describing, it was caused by a missing weight hence unbalanced tires.

Zwad 10-13-2011 09:55 PM

Tires have about 25K on them and were balanced then, and I have always rotated them. I still see weights on the outside of the tires, but one may have flown off. I can't tell if there is one missing or not. Belle tire will do free balancing, so maybe I should try that. Alignment was done about a month ago and it wasn't off hardly at all.

jkp 10-16-2011 07:54 PM

Rotate and balance the tires since it's free. Check the driveshaft u-joints for play. Also, check your driveshafts for missing balance weights. They are little steel pieces welded to the driveshaft. Look for a spot where it appears something recently came off.

Zwad 12-12-2011 12:05 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply. I finally had the time and got the front driveshaft off. As I pulled off an end cap to the u-joint from the pinion end of the shaft..........poof.........orange powder and needle bearings came falling down all over my hand.
I'm in the process of getting it back together this week. Once I road test it, I'll update the thread.

Zwad 12-19-2011 10:15 AM

Test drove the final fix with the front u-joints replaced. No more vibration. Amazing what a dry, rusted u-joint end cap can do.

As a result, the clunky, what seemed to be possible slop in the pinion gear meshing, was probably the bad u-joint as well. Jeep drives much smoother and a bit tighter now. :thumb:

I just hope now that the hairline cracks I put into the fill and drain plugs thread holes for the 6-spd manual gear box don't leak.

stangmata 01-22-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zwad (Post 1840616)
Test drove the final fix with the front u-joints replaced. No more vibration. Amazing what a dry, rusted u-joint end cap can do.

As a result, the clunky, what seemed to be possible slop in the pinion gear meshing, was probably the bad u-joint as well. Jeep drives much smoother and a bit tighter now. :thumb:

I just hope now that the hairline cracks I put into the fill and drain plugs thread holes for the 6-spd manual gear box don't leak.

I have the same problem. Confirm it was a u joint n the FRONT driveshaft? I didn't think of checking the front!

yankescott 11-06-2012 07:29 AM

Someone help me here... I have an 06 JL Diesel 4x4 with the same issue of vibration right around 55 and clears up again just over 60. My front driveshaft doesn't seem to have a u-joint? The rear driveshaft has two and I see signs of wear (shinny metal) on the rear u-joint of the rear driveshaft. The front connects to the front axle with what appears to be a CV-joint (it is booted). I have not removed the boot, but is that what is being referred as the "front u joint". I am going to change both rear u joints and will report back.

yankescott 11-12-2012 12:15 PM

okay... I found the rear u joint almost toast. Replaced both u joint on the rear driveshaft and smooth as a baby's butt. Happy trails ya'll. I still would like to know what Zwad was talking about changing the u joint on the front driveshaft... anyone???

Zwad 05-16-2013 09:26 AM

Sorry for the REAL late update to your question.

My front u-joint is where on the 4x4 Jeep, there is a front driveshaft coming out of the transaxle unit that goes to the front pinion.

The front u-joint of the driveshaft is a basic u-joint at the pinion, but the rear u-joint on the front driveshaft is a more complex double u-joint set-up at the transaxle point. I can't recall the official name of the part at the moment. I had a shop nearby do the front driveshaft, since that was where I found the parts too. I didn't feel like doing that part of it.

So with a 4x4, you have two driveshafts. I hope that answers your question.

sinbob 05-16-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zwad (Post 1821664)
Sorry it took so long to reply. I finally had the time and got the front driveshaft off. As I pulled off an end cap to the u-joint from the pinion end of the shaft..........poof.........orange powder and needle bearings came falling down all over my hand.
I'm in the process of getting it back together this week. Once I road test it, I'll update the thread.

:thumb:I was going to suggest this as the same thing happened to me