Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Fuel Pump Issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/fuel-pump-issue-117797.html)

lakey 10-15-2011 12:18 AM

Fuel Pump Issue

I was having some issues with my 89 YJ and when I check the fuel filter discovered it was very dirty... replaced it and within a week same type of problems....so I removed the fuel tank it had a bunch of dirt and some rust inside. I replaced the tank and fuel pump and filter. Main issue was the prior over had cut off the male female adapters and direct wired the pump. New filter was a different color scheme(go figure) and jeep dealer ect do not know which wire goes to which. Manufacture of pump says The purple wire is for the sending unit.The grey is the pump wire. wired it up did some guessing and when i turned it over I get some fuel, but the jeep wont start....:surrender: any suggestions...or anyone know the correct wiring order... I have a Tan, Orange, and black & yellow wires I need to match up to the Purple, Gray and black on the new pump

rjeepr 10-15-2011 01:33 PM

Just go to a junkyard cut off the connector you need leaving a bit of wire on the end to splice. Then you will have the correct color to connector

lakey 10-15-2011 08:38 PM

if it was only that easy.... no luck on the junk yards locally but thanks for the idea. I think I may not be getting enough pressure its driving me crazy:facepalm:

The Toolman 10-15-2011 08:50 PM

Check with DaveyJeeps, they may be able to help.

lakey 10-16-2011 06:18 PM

no luck on the adapter at daveys jeeps....bummer... any one out their with the same wire scheme that could tell me the order to connect ?

rjeepr 10-16-2011 06:32 PM

Plus you know it will be a little hard to start after removing the tank even if the wires are right. I've done a few and it never fires right up.

rjeepr 10-16-2011 06:43 PM

Is your jeep injected or carbed?

rjeepr 10-16-2011 06:46 PM

6cyl or 4?

lakey 10-16-2011 09:44 PM

4 CYLINDER Throttle body injected... I was able to get it running for a minute using the gas pedal but would not idle and sounded pretty ruff....I have about 3 1/2 to 4 PSI of pressure... do you know what the pressure should be ? and for how long should it sound ruff or do you think one of my crimps could be a little loose ?

Jeep716 10-16-2011 11:04 PM

Service manual sez it should run at 14-15 lbs at idle.

Jeep716 10-16-2011 11:07 PM

There are two different pumps one for tbi and mpi. Pinch return and check pressure if it doesn't rise bad regulator.

rjeepr 10-16-2011 11:14 PM

Its not real clear but my hanes manual says orange goes to pump. Couldn't find color for sending unit. Not sure on psi

lakey 10-19-2011 08:38 PM

well looks like I might have the correct wiring then as I have the orange to pump :banghead: the pump manufacture said to ensure the pump is bottoming out which he said may also cause that problem... or he said i may have a bad pump he said that is very rare but every once in a while that does happen... I will let you know how I make out... Thanks for all the help

lakey 10-23-2011 11:07 PM

No SH*t Jeep is running like a champ... ended up dropping the tank again wiring was correct the fuel line between the pump and the out valve was loose as spraying fuel around in the tank instead of pushing the pressure out... put a clamp on each end problem solved fired right up.