Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Brake Problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/brake-problems-11801.html)

y0diggy 09-25-2007 11:06 AM

Brake Problems

Hey everybody, this is my first post on the wrangler forum and I have been the proud owner of a jeep for almost 24 hours now!! woot!

I just purchased a 1998 Jeep wrangler with less than 70,000 miles. It has a 3" lift, 31" tires, I6, front and rear diff locks, and a brake problem.

This Jeep has basically been sitting in a garage for the past 5 years, it seems to run good, but began smoking during a 25mi ride to a friends house and back home. The symptoms are:

Jeep is pulling to the right
Smoke was coming from the front passenger wheel well
The one rim was considerably hotter than all the others
The disc actually has two grooves maybe a 1/16th of an inch wide that have been worn out

I going to try and fix the problem after work today, but would like a little insight as to what the problem could be. I have a jeep service manual, an interest in doing this fix myself, and some mechanical know how. I just need a little guidance to get me going in the right direction.

whitebuffalo 09-25-2007 11:09 AM

sounds like a sticking caliper and/or a hub bearing.

Rawkon 09-25-2007 11:12 AM

yup i agree with the big white buffalo.

i would replace both calipers, pads and rotors. bleed the system really well and be done with it. if money is tight then do the smoking side only. save up and do the driver side soon.

MOz 09-25-2007 11:52 AM

X3 - pull the tire off an inspect the rotor.

You might be able to lubricate the slide pins and get by.

MouthfulOfGrass 09-25-2007 12:17 PM

x4. Yup sounds about right.

First thing I'd check is the caliper piston. If it sat that long, might've got wet before it sat and rusted up a little, enough to seize the caliper.

erickpl 09-26-2007 08:13 AM

Better check the area on the knuckle where the brakes slide. If it is notched badly, then that is likely your sticking point.

mud707 09-26-2007 08:22 AM

Had the same problem on my 01 the right brake caliper locked up and wouldn't release so I had to replace it. A new caliper is about 40 dollars at advanced auto and you'll need to get the rotor cut down or replaced if to damaged and maybe new brake bad depending how bad they are. Mine wasn't to bad so I just got it rotor cut down and used the same pads since it didn't damage them.
You may have to change the front hub/bearing assembly also wich how much it cost depends where you get it. I bought one off e-bay for 75 dollars including shipping. My cousin paid 150 for his from a auto parts store.

y0diggy 09-26-2007 11:37 AM

I was able to get the tire off last night and inspect the rotors a little closer, I couldn't find a c clamp around the house so I opted not to remove the calipers...I now have some clamps and I intend to check the problem out this afternoon.

I see a couple of you guys have mentioned the caliper piston locking/locked caliper. If this were the case, would it prevent the wheel from spinning freely while off the ground?

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

MouthfulOfGrass 09-27-2007 09:37 AM

Yes, if the piston is frozen in the grab position and not releasing.

y0diggy 09-30-2007 08:20 PM

Thanks for all of your help guys. I cleaned and rebuilt the brake caliper, didn't help too much. So I went ahead and replaced the entire caliper and everything is working great. Once again thanks for the advice!