Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   i also have a lift question for you guys. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/i-also-have-a-lift-question-for-you-guys-11831.html)

hemmer 09-25-2007 10:49 PM

i also have a lift question for you guys.

im sure you guys get this from about everybody but its my turn now lol.

i have 31x10.5 15" bfg at's with american spirit??? alloy wheels idk the marking on the center caps are worn out. idk the width on them.

got the 2.5 manual.

whats a good lift choice for me? i want as much as i can that will fit nicely with that tire choice.

this jeep is my daily. lots of highway/city not enough trails but the occasional mud hole that i can find. typically on level b roads that are really rutty.

price is somewhat an issue since im 17 and pay for everything.

i heard cherokee springs can give a 2" lift?? if thats true ive seen a few in junkyards.

Oh and finally i want to retain factory ride quality if possible. i like how it rides now.

nregas1 09-25-2007 10:55 PM

Sounds like you need a 2" budget boost. That'll keep the stock ride you currently have and get you some clearance and still look good on 31's. If you wanted, you could track down some low mileage Rubicon springs that will gain you a good 1-1.5" on that 4-banger. That would get you around 3" from where you are now. Then you can begin the never-ending alignment/DW struggle. :D JK...sorta.

hemmer 09-25-2007 11:02 PM

so are you saying that i should get the 2" bb and rubi springs to bump it to a 3-3.5? just wanna make sure im reading correctly.

nregas1 09-25-2007 11:09 PM

That's just what I did on my first TJ. Was very pleased with it. The Rubi springs are OEM and they are exact same height, but stiffer spring rate so will sit higher and be a little stiffer ride (but nothing objectionable). However since it put me around 3.25" I had some slight vibes. A few washer to drop the skid took care of that. That's a great lift, IMO, for very little money. There are a couple of full sets of Rubi springs on Ebay right now for around $125. You can find a BB w/shocks anywhere, including some pretty good kits on Ebay for around $200-$250. That's less than $400 for 3" and will do you fine for your purposes, will take you just about anywhere, and very cost effective.

mrbigjeep 09-26-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nregas1 (Post 141553)
That'll keep the stock ride you currently have

If he's using stock shocks with shock extenders then, yes. Otherwise, it will depend completely on the shocks. If you get some pro comps i guarantee it will not ride like stock.

hemmer 09-26-2007 01:33 PM

well i plan to keep it somewhat similar to what its at for ride quality right now. if its a little worse i guess thats alright. i just dont want something super noticeable.

kg4kpg 09-26-2007 02:10 PM

There are some rubi coils on the jeeps unlimited board for sale. I've seen them there a lot. If those guys would come over here, maybe they would sell them faster on our bbb (better bulletin board). :D

nregas1 09-26-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 141639)
If he's using stock shocks with shock extenders then, yes. Otherwise, it will depend completely on the shocks. If you get some pro comps i guarantee it will not ride like stock.

Agreed...to some extent. On that setup I described above, I used some cheap ProComp ES3000 and was pretty pleased with the ride. But then again I was going from 9 year old OEM shocks and springs so thought it was a great improvement.

nicolas-eric 09-26-2007 02:28 PM

rubi springs aren´t longer than normal TJ springs, they are stiffer. that gives about 1" lift in a light 4cyl TJ.
BUT you´ll get a very stiff ride with rubi springs. i had them in the front because my TJ sagged and i didn´t like it.
with a BB on top of them they are stiffer than without because of the changed CAs angle.
i wouldn´t do that.

Walkeraviator 09-26-2007 04:32 PM

I am going to recommend Rustys 2" spring lift. Thats the route I am gonna take. Thats 4 springs and 4 shocks making your jeep 2" taller than stock for $310 plus shipping.

antwon412 09-26-2007 05:24 PM

also look into skyjacker....i just got mine in.its shocks and spaces so its cheaper by almost a hundred bucks and you get the same lift. just make sure you go with the hydro shocks, not the nitros.

Triple88a 09-26-2007 05:43 PM

I wonder how would OME shocks ride on the rubi springs...

nregas1 09-26-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator (Post 141765)
I am going to recommend Rustys 2" spring lift. Thats the route I am gonna take. Thats 4 springs and 4 shocks making your jeep 2" taller than stock for $310 plus shipping.

Yep, if I was doing a 2" lift over again, I'd do that exact thing.

hemmer 09-26-2007 10:40 PM

alright and i was thinking maybe for christmas i could ask my parents for a 1" body lift after i figure out what suspension lift items im gonna buy myself. would you guys recommend a body lift at all or not? any hidden things id have to buy like raised motor mounts or anything like that?

hemmer 09-26-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4kpg (Post 141712)
There are some rubi coils on the jeeps unlimited board for sale. I've seen them there a lot. If those guys would come over here, maybe they would sell them faster on our bbb (better bulletin board). :D

oh and ive noticed a few people on here are getting new lifts and they just have bb's. i wouldnt mind buying a used set cause i mean most are just spacers and used or not they will be the same right?

nregas1 09-26-2007 11:04 PM

If you do a BL, I'd stay at 1" or the JKS 1.25". Some consider a MML easier to do than relocting the fan shroud. But a MML is required to do a BL.

dweebster 09-27-2007 09:39 AM

hey i have the same kind of jeep as you LOL i have a 4 bangger with 31s on it and i dont have any problems at all..... rides smooth

nregas1 09-27-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemmer (Post 141988)
oh and ive noticed a few people on here are getting new lifts and they just have bb's. i wouldnt mind buying a used set cause i mean most are just spacers and used or not they will be the same right?

Correct, I've never seen any poly spacers that were changed in any way just b/c they were used. I'm planning on selling my BB spacers (they are a TRUE 2" as opposed to most which claim 2" but are actually 1.75"). The BB is only about 3 months old and comes with the bump-stop extensions for rear (never used). Cost me $100 (b/c bump stops and new bolts were an extra $25). Anyway, PM me if you're interested. But, it'll be about a week or so before I have the chance to get my new lift installed though.

nregas1 09-27-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nregas1 (Post 141990)
If you do a BL, I'd stay at 1" or the JKS 1.25". Some consider a MML easier to do than relocting the fan shroud. But a MML is required to do a BL.

I just noticed my typo above ^...

I meant to say "a MML is NOT required to do a BL".

mrbigjeep 09-27-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nregas1 (Post 142103)
I just noticed my typo above ^...

I meant to say "a MML is NOT required to do a BL".

I was about to correct you :D

Go for the 1" BL. you don't even have to wait til Christmas. they are cheap.

hemmer 09-29-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 142200)
I was about to correct you :D

Go for the 1" BL. you don't even have to wait til Christmas. they are cheap.

lol ya i know i just dont want to have to pay for something.

so if i do do the bl ill have to move the fan shroud then? or would it just be simpler to buy some new motor mounts?

mrbigjeep 09-29-2007 03:54 PM

but if you buy the cheap BL then you can get your parents to buy you a more expensive jeep part for Christmas :D

simpler? moving the fan shroud is WAY, WAY, WAY, easier than a MML.

hemmer 09-29-2007 05:37 PM

haha good thinking. now does anybody have a how to on moving the fan shroud down?

orange05tj 09-29-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemmer (Post 142815)
haha good thinking. now does anybody have a how to on moving the fan shroud down?

With some luck, and a way to get a drill in your engine compartment, you'll get it done. If your doing a 1" BL, remove fan shroud, measure 1" down from the stock holes. Drill with 1/4" drill bit. you wont have to drill the lower passenger side, there should be a hole you can use. I went to do that, but ended up doing the mml.

debruins 09-29-2007 08:33 PM

so your getting a 1" BL and 2" of susp lift? and 31's i would reccomend jsut the 2" lift
you dont need more lit and a BL looks weird, but if its "free"......

mrbigjeep 09-30-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 142844)
With some luck, and a way to get a drill in your engine compartment, you'll get it done. If your doing a 1" BL, remove fan shroud, measure 1" down from the stock holes. Drill with 1/4" drill bit. you wont have to drill the lower passenger side, there should be a hole you can use. I went to do that, but ended up doing the mml.

non-sense.

the BL comes with brackets for it. takes 10 minutes of effortless work.

mrbigjeep 09-30-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 143125)
non-sense.

I know some of the BL's may not come with a bracket. But my performance accessories 1" BL did and it is a very reputable name.

Triple88a 09-30-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 143125)

2x.. i installed a 2" bodylift.. i had quite a bit of brackets so it took long time but it was my first time actually working on my rig so i was all afraid to mess around w/ it since i was new to it so i took my time. All i can say is if 2" body lift is easy for me, then 1" is easier.

mrbigjeep 09-30-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 143133)
2x.. i installed a 2" bodylift.. i had quite a bit of brackets so it took long time but it was my first time actually working on my rig so i was all afraid to mess around w/ it since i was new to it so i took my time. All i can say is if 2" body lift is easy for me, then 1" is easier.

yeah mine was just four brackets that bolt right on for the fan shroud. very simple.

hemmer 09-30-2007 01:41 PM

so would 3" suspension look alright with 31's or would i be better off with just a 2"?