Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Hard Top Hell (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/hard-top-hell-118523.html)

Awood9000 10-19-2011 02:09 PM

Hard Top Hell
 
Man - today was the first time i removed the hard top on our TJ since I bought it - Wow - that was not fun. 4.5" lift with 35" tires. I know there are hoists for the install and removal of the top - is there a "technique" for removal for a single person without breaking your back or hardtop that anyone knows of?

blkrubi88 10-19-2011 02:14 PM

Get a friend to help.

BLZ 10-19-2011 02:16 PM

lol.single person removal?ya,start going to the gym:).i just get a helper.ive thought about tryin to do it myself a couple times but the top weighs almost as much as me.i figured it would end in disaster.i had a buddy who was fairly big that would remove his hard top on his 78 bronco buy himself(and it was on 40s).he made it look easy.

Dextreme 10-19-2011 02:21 PM

I know they are awkward, but what do they weigh?

blkrubi88 10-19-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLZ (Post 1672758)
lol.single person removal?ya,start going to the gym:).i just get a helper.ive thought about tryin to do it myself a couple times but the top weighs almost as much as me.i figured it would end in disaster.i had a buddy who was fairly big that would remove his hard top on his 78 bronco buy himself(and it was on 40s).he made it look easy.

I use to take mine on and off without help. I have a hoist now.

06GoldenEagle 10-19-2011 02:23 PM

if you can get under it dead center its able to be lifted with one person off

jebby 10-19-2011 03:17 PM

get inside and walk it back until you fit in it from the back its a huge PITA and a friend is really helpfull

olebluetj 10-19-2011 04:44 PM

get a hoist, it will save you time, energy and space, i got one because 1 had to get
someone to help me, 2 had no space in garage, they are not that expensive, i got
mine used from a friend but they are only $150. from some of the vendors, or get
one from hf.

jkaufman_95 10-19-2011 04:49 PM

I used to get center on it and do it that way. A hoist was cheaper than the massage. I have a hoist now. SO worth the $$

sonofabeach 10-19-2011 05:14 PM

I used to have mine strapped to the ceiling in my garage using 2 ratchet straps and 4 eyebolts.
I would ratchet each side a little at a time until it was off/on. It took about 20 minutes and I had to be carful not to scratch the top with the ratchet buckles. It was a pain taking it off and putting it on by myself.
Much easier with 2 people.
Best day of my Jeep life was when I got my hard top for free. 2nd best day was when I sold it for $800.
It was too much of a pain for me and I'm topless for most of the year anyway.

jkaufman_95 10-19-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofabeach
I used to have mine strapped to the ceiling in my garage using 2 ratchet straps and 4 eyebolts.
I would ratchet each side a little at a time until it was off/on. It took about 20 minutes and I had to be carful not to scratch the top with the ratchet buckles. It was a pain taking it off and putting it on by myself.
Much easier with 2 people.
Best day of my Jeep life was when I got my hard top for free. 2nd best day was when I sold it for $800.
It was too much of a pain for me and I'm topless for most of the year anyway.

You got a free hard top???

00tj2 10-20-2011 03:56 AM

I can put mine on and off with one arm, can't everyone...:hide:

robbiecc 10-20-2011 04:54 AM

do it by myself w/4 rachet straps-just put it on last sunday. not the quickest but never anyone around to help. this is the 2nd time i've taken off and put back on by myself-really not a problem.

Ageless Stranger 10-20-2011 05:09 AM

Lange Hoist-A-Top FTW. :cool:

Jondalar 10-20-2011 05:12 AM

A trip to Harbor Freight with $30 will solve the problem.

arcountryboy 10-20-2011 06:37 AM

I dont use a hardtop anymore, but I always found a 12 pack was helpful. Amazing how many friends showed up to do it for me when I called and said "hey, I've got beer."

TJWenatchee 10-20-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcountryboy (Post 1675023)
I dont use a hardtop anymore, but I always found a 12 pack was helpful. Amazing how many friends showed up to do it for me when I called and said "hey, I've got beer."

It's either that ^ (which I can't put any better) or get a hoist! I got a hoist. Got tired of cheap beer. :whistling:

AmericaOverland 10-20-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2 (Post 1674854)
I can put mine on and off with one arm, can't everyone...:hide:


You shouldn't be hiding under chairs... You know, people may not be able to lift the hard top off, but I'm sure they can pick up that chair and use it on you, wrestling style!

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericaOverland

You shouldn't be hiding under chairs... You know, people may not be able to lift the hard top off, but I'm sure they can pick up that chair and use it on you, wrestling style!

If he can one arm a hard top he can hide under whatever he damn wants :rofl: I'm not gonna tell him differently

00tj2 10-20-2011 03:11 PM

Haha... I joke I joke.... I took it off by myself once but that was before I slipped a disk in my back....two people always and every summer or two I will remove the rear glass to just to make it a little lighter....

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00tj2
Haha... I joke I joke.... I took it off by myself once but that was before I slipped a disk in my back....two people always and every summer or two I will remove the rear glass to just to make it a little lighter....

I tried once. Never again

SirGeorgeKillian 10-20-2011 03:15 PM

I made one with the last Jeep that had a hard top. It isn't hard, just a T and some 3/4" galvanized pipe. You can drill and use hooks, or do like I did and run ratchet straps through the pipe before you screw it together. A prusik's hitch along the spine of the hoist will let you fine tune the center point, then just run a 3 to 1 or a 4 to 1 to the ceiling. I think I had 50 bucks invested total...

Wrangler06 10-20-2011 03:16 PM

if no one is around to help me take my hard top off i take it off my self, open the rear window and tailgate, sit in the back facing the back of the jeep and push it up and walk it off...picking the top up isnt that bad..the hard part is squating down the lay it on the ground without dropping it hahahaha

GoldenSahara00 10-20-2011 03:19 PM

Hit the gym :)

Double_Trouble 10-20-2011 03:24 PM

There's a great Youtube video of a guy putting his on by himself. Sets the top on a set of patio chairs, gets under it and walks it into place.

Me? I built a hoist with an ATV winch from Harbor Freight. Works like a dream.

SirGeorgeKillian 10-20-2011 03:26 PM

Or if you have enough room behind your Jeep, build a shelf the same height as your bedrails. Just slide it back...

jkaufman_95 10-20-2011 03:29 PM

There was a guy around me that build his own little thing. Pretty cool like a manual forklift.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.